All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

So, really, I think this came down to Babcock using Pegula to drive up his asking price. Buffalo thought they had their man. Until they didn't.

I do have some uncomfirmed twitter reports stating the Sabres had a deal, 9 years, same $ amount as Toronto and they thought Babcock was taking it until this morning.  

I say uncomfirmed because I don't know the reporters who tweeted it and I don't want to state it as true. It wasn't like Lebrun or MacKenzie tweeted it. 

LOL

https://twitter.com/martybiron43/status/601095901906673664

Where expectations are already sky high, Babcock makes Toronto almost undesirable IMO. Now they'll get booed for losing the opening faceoff.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Can we hire Marty for anything? How about comic relief, he is always so much fun to hear from.

I still remember the Wgr "mic'd up" spoof they did of him.

Marty: "Hey Lindy..... Hey Lindy.......... HEY LINDY!"

Lindy: "MARTY WHAT!?!?!"

Marty: "never mind"

Detroit fans have to be besides themselves... Babcock seemingly goes out of his way to talk about how great Detroit is and how agonizing the decision is to possibly leave, and then he goes to TO for sick money.  He can have that Eggo.

It's pretty clear at this point that Toronto was exactly where Babcock wanted to be.  All these comments about Buffalo thinking they had a deal in place back that up.

It is really an interesting move. The question is, what the hell is Shanahan doing? He's fired a coach, hired and fired a coach, fired a GM, now hired a coach without a GM? 

Did he really hire a coach to be superior to a GM? If so, I really like this as a Sabres fan, because that organization from Scouting, roster, to farm and Office are a mess. 

Babcock is a great coach, no doubt. But this is really a serious rebuild for him.

What kind of GM comes in and how does this work with Babcock? 

Good luck Toronto. You've just made Leafs visits that much more interesting. 

Edited by X. Benedict

Detroit fans have to be besides themselves... Babcock seemingly goes out of his way to talk about how great Detroit is and how agonizing the decision is to possibly leave, and then he goes to TO for sick money.  He can have that Eggo.

*hey!! let go o' my Eggo!!*

:flirt:

How you doing, bio?

Look at WKBW with a scoop!

thuae-B6_normal.jpeg

League source tells me #Sabres thought they had deal in principle w/ Babcock 2 days ago around same term/dollars as Leafs. Maybe even 9 yrs.

I don't doubt this for a second, especially in light of Wawrow's scoop yesterday. The Sabres wouldn't have leaked that otherwise. And I'm convinced more than ever that once Pegula learned that Toronto had re-entered the picture, he wasn't gonna be played and he pulled the offer. I think that reflects well on him, too. It's all well and good that Babcock found the job of his dreams and his family is OK with it, etc, but I don't think this reflects well on him at all. If he doesn't produce in Toronto, he may well have signed his last coaching contract for a long time. 

GO SABRES!!!

*hey!! let go o' my Eggo!!*

:flirt:

How you doing, bio?

Better than last week.   :)  But I wish this coaching business had been settled already... I've got work to do and have been thoroughly distracted by SS all day!

Jesus K9

I was supporting your post....and what I wrote is what I mean.

There is not an ounce of animosity in my post. And thanks for your support, but jeez Dwight, sometimes you are hard to follow. 

GO SABRES!!!

Maybe Toronto thinks they're getting a Coach and a GM for one price?  That would make his massive contract a bit more understandable, although a highly flawed strategy IMHO.

Anyway, good luck with that Toronto.   LOL.   Leafs are about the only team that can make the Sabres look like a juggernaut of on-ice success.   

Edited by Jsixspd

It is really an interesting move. The question is, what the hell is Shanahan doing? He's fired a coach, hired and fired a coach, fired a GM, now hired a coach without a GM? 

Did he really hire a coach to be superior to a GM? If so, I really like this as a Sabres fan, because that organization from Scouting, roster, to farm and Office are a mess. 

Babcock is a great coach, no doubt. But this is really a serious rebuild for him.

What kind of GM comes in and how does this work with Babcock? 

Good luck Toronto. You've just made Leafs visits that much more interesting. 

Would you like to make a friendly charity wager that if the Sabres don't hire Dan Bylsma as coach.....I say the Leafs will have more points in the standings than the Sabres for the next 2 years?

I mean...more points next year......more points in '16-'17........

Here's where the rubber meets the road. I never said Babcock was a bad coach....I was just looking at the person. If the Sabres hire Bylsma, I want no part of the wager. Anyone else....Toronto is the better option and I am in. If the Sabres hired Torts....I'd take the hit just to win the Cup next year. :)

Serious proposition.......

-----

X,

I don't think a real GM will be hired in Toronto.

No one would touch that with a 10 and a half foot pole.

If you are a GM....you are sandwiched between Shanahan and Babcock, with everyone about to second guess you. 

That makes it hard to make a roster. 

I don't doubt this for a second, especially in light of Wawrow's scoop yesterday. The Sabres wouldn't have leaked that otherwise. And I'm convinced more than ever that once Pegula learned that Toronto had re-entered the picture, he wasn't gonna be played and he pulled the offer. I think that reflects well on him, too. It's all well and good that Babcock found the job of his dreams and his family is OK with it, etc, but I don't think this reflects well on him at all. If he doesn't produce in Toronto, he may well have signed his last coaching contract for a long time. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here: what if Babcock was put off by the Sabres prematurely leaking the information, and that contributed to Toronto getting back in the picture this morning? Just spitballin' since we're unlikely to ever know.

GO SABRES!!!

Except the reports are that Babcock notified the Sabres at 11:35 a.m. or something that they were out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.