The Ryan O'Reilly super thread 2015!!!

LGR4GM

As the cap basically always increases, in some ways the big contracts are most damaging in their early years. Look at Hossa's contract, huge when he signed it - now very fair value. The same would be true for ROR at 7.5 for 8 years. Plus he would still only be 32 or so when he finished it. We have tons of cap room now, and later (when it matters more) the cap should have increased enough to accommodate it

Good points all around.  To me it all comes down to what Colorado is asking for in return.  Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and Girgs are my only untouchables in a deal.  Remember when Drury wanted $5 mil per around 8 years ago?  That was star money back then and DR wouldn't pay it.

For somebody, sure. As others have said, we may not have the pieces that Colorado wants in return...or I'm talking myself into that so I'm not horribly disappointed when he gets traded to Toronto.

:wallbash:  :wallbash: Better not happen.

Edited by Derrico

As the cap basically always increases, in some ways the big contracts are most damaging in their early years. Look at Hossa's contract, huge when he signed it - now very fair value. The same would be true for ROR at 7.5 for 8 years. Plus he would still only be 32 or so when he finished it. We have tons of cap room now, and later (when it matters more) the cap should have increased enough to accommodate it

While a good theory in concept, I am always weary of the "cap will always go up" thought process. From an economy perspective, it is thinking like that which causes stock market crashes and housing bubbles. Be weary.

Good points all around.  To me it all comes down to what Colorado is asking for in return.  Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and Girgs are my only untouchables in a deal.  Remember when Drury wanted $5 mil per around 8 years ago?  That was star money back then and DR wouldn't pay it.

I honestly don't think it'll happen, but something with Phaneuf and salary retention could work in theory.

Good points all around.  To me it all comes down to what Colorado is asking for in return.  Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and Girgs are my only untouchables in a deal.  Remember when Drury wanted $5 mil per around 8 years ago?  That was star money back then and DR wouldn't pay it TG sat on the deal for too long and Drury decided to see how green the grass was elsewhere. .

Fixed for accuracy. :)

With new contract talks in ballpark of 60M for max contract to resign Ryan O'Reilly, #Avs feel like they have no choice but to trade him.

There's a number. So $60M over 8 years (so $7.5M a year). Hell yes I do that.

If I were an Avs fan I would be good and fed up with management/ownership at this point.  This number is no surprise.

######, this is really gonna happen, isn't it?

He's probably going to be traded, but I don't think it will be until after July 1 and in any case there will be plenty of bidders.  If Colorado wants a top-pairing defenseman who's ready for that role right now, it's either Bogo, Risto or the Sabres don't get him.

I honestly don't think it'll happen, but something with Phaneuf and salary retention could work in theory.

I think Toronto will get plenty of offers with better centerpieces than Phaneuf.

If I were an Avs fan I would be good and fed up with management/ownership at this point.  This number is no surprise.

He's probably going to be traded, but I don't think it will be until after July 1 and in any case there will be plenty of bidders.  If Colorado wants a top-pairing defenseman who's ready for that role right now, it's either Bogo, Risto or the Sabres don't get him.

I think Toronto will get plenty of offers with better centerpieces than Phaneuf.

Avs need a left shooting defensemen.  I think Zadorov will be moved.  My prediction  Zadorov and Grigorenko for ROR and Pickard

GMTM also rids himself of the Russians and their issues

Avs need a left shooting defensemen.  I think Zadorov will be moved.  My prediction  Zadorov and Grigorenko for ROR and Pickard

And?

Avs need a left shooting defensemen. I think Zadorov will be moved. My prediction Zadorov and Grigorenko for ROR and Pickard

The pieces on Buffalo's side are well short of what it would take to ROR in my opinion. Let alone adding Pickard (who isn't big so GMTM may not be interested).

The Avs aren't a cap team. They have an internal budget and a certain Nathan MacKinnon who will need a new contract after this season. 

Not buying it. If he's worth it, they make room.

The pieces on Buffalo's side are well short of what it would take to ROR in my opinion. Let alone adding Pickard (who isn't big so GMTM may not be interested).

6 foot 1  195 lbs  isn't small.   We may have to throw in #21

There are no issues with the russian, only "issues" dumb fans believe from stupid journalists that don't have anything better to do than make up stories.

So Zadorov, Zemgus, #21 and maybe 1 more piece is that what this board is thinking for price?  

That is way to steep for a one year rental who can't play RW

Edited by Heimdall

While a good theory in concept, I am always weary of the "cap will always go up" thought process. From an economy perspective, it is thinking like that which causes stock market crashes and housing bubbles. Be weary.

We should be weary. And wary. (best mistype ever, BTW)

There are no issues with the russian, only "issues" dumb fans believe from stupid journalists that don't have anything better to do than make up stories.

What would you pay for Ryan O'Reilly in a trade?

There have been issues with both of these players.  Grigs is refusing to play in AHL and threatening KHL. He is refusing to sign a two way contract.   Zadorov refused to go back to Juniors last year.

So Zadorov, Zemgus, #21 and maybe 1 more piece is that what this board is thinking for price?  

Asking price from Colorado or what it will take?  I don't think anybody is cool with Zemgus in part of the deal.  Whether a deal gets done that does not include Zemgus is another story.

There have been issues with both of these players.  Grigs is refusing to play in AHL and threatening KHL. He is refusing to sign a two way contract.   Zadorov refused to go back to Juniors last year.

Zadorov was contractually obligated to go the KHL if he was transferred out of the NHL, if I remember right.

Zadarov would have been claimed by his KHL team, and would have to go there.   It was a contract thing.

Grigorenko isn't the issue, The issue is that we burned his ELC two years to fast and that he isn't waiver excempt.  

The KHL would be a welcome solution for a year or two if murray wants him here in the future.

Asking price from Colorado or what it will take?  I don't think anybody is cool with Zemgus in part of the deal.  Whether a deal gets done that does not include Zemgus is another story.

Zemgus is our RoR, we don't need him. 

One piece too many, IMO.

I still think Staal for eight, Sutter and Domoulin is the best comparable.

I'm not giving up Zemgus

I think given the demand and the Sabres lineup, we don't get Oreilly without him going the other way.

You can hope for Zadorov, #21 and Larsson/Grigorenko, but I bet somebody beats that.

Girgensons, #21 and Pysyk is probably what it would take, with Buffalo sure they can re-sign.

No. People have said no to this multiple times. You're the one pushing it.

It'll take more than the Zadorov, Grigs, 21 everybody likes but it won't take Zadorov and Zemgus I imagine.