The Ryan O'Reilly super thread 2015!!!

LGR4GM

I think with Reinhart as our 2nd line center we have more of a 1a and 1b line. Kinda what Chicago has

Yup. I'll say it again: if your goal is to be as good as Chicago (it should be), then you want more than three 1st line caliber players on the roster.

I just don't see how the Sabres, or anyone else, can give up significant assets for ROR without an extension in place -- and that can't happen until July 1.

Hanging coconuts.

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 2h2 hours ago

CONFIRMED: Sabres and Leafs both had discussions with the Avalanche this morning regarding O'Reily #NHL

I think the Avs know he either gets traded now or at the deadline.

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 2h2 hours ago

SOURCE: "Very likely ROR gets moved within the next 24-36 hours" #NHL #Avs

Umm is this twitter handle legit? seems a bit hockeybuzz-ish

Yup. I'll say it again: if your goal is to be as good as Chicago (it should be), then you want more than three 1st line caliber players on the roster.

Hanging coconuts.

Well right now we have Kane, Eichel, Samson, Tyler, and IMPO Zemgus... so that is 5 top 6 guys. 

Well right now we have Kane, Eichel, Samson, Tyler, and IMPO Zemgus... so that is 5 top 6 guys. 

I said five 1st line guys, not five top-6 guys. Big Difference. If you want to be great, you want 1st line players playing on your second line. Kane has one season in six with 1st line production (I'd give him a pass on his rookie year and last season, but that's still only 1/4), the rest of those names have zero. Now obviously I expect Reinhart and Eichel to be 1st line players, and I have hope for Kane to be there with good linemates, but that's still only three. Ennis' career plants him firmly on the second line, and I think that's ultimately where Zemgus will settle in as well.

I am not sold on Guryanov.  While I would not be upset with us gambling on him, his lack of play against good measurable opponents worries me.  When you can survive solely on talent other things fall by the wayside.  One of the reasons almost every single undersized player is so hardworking is because they have had to make up for their size with that hard work. If Guryanov hasn't been challenged enough and can just rely on his talent what happens when he plays against Jonathan Toews or Drew Doughty?  What happens when a guy with equal or more talent is challenging you.  Guryanov has a lot of questions to answer.

I said five 1st line guys, not five top-6 guys. Big Difference. If you want to be great, you want 1st line players playing on your second line. Kane has one season in six with 1st line production (I'd give him a pass on his rookie year and last season, but that's still only 1/4), the rest of those names have zero. Now obviously I expect Reinhart and Eichel to be 1st line players, and I have hope for Kane to be there with good linemates, but that's still only three. Ennis' career plants him firmly on the second line, and I think that's ultimately where Zemgus will settle in as well.

How many seasons does ROR have of first line production?

@Blue

Five first-line guys is pretty ambitious: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Saad?

(I'd argue Sharp used to be and Saad might be now)

Boston didn't have five. I don't think LA did either. Not if Ennis is your definition of a second-liner.

Edited by dudacek

Four--the last four straight years. If you dump his rookie year, he's 4/5 years with 1st line production. 

What happens when I run the PPG of Evander and then the PPG of ROR over those 4 years?  Would you then concede that Kane has also produced at your 1st line rate?

First line rate being 0.68ppg

Edited by LGR4GM

@Blue

Five first-line guys is pretty ambitious: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Saad?

(I'd argue Sharp used to be and Saad might be now)

Boston didn't have five. I don't think LA did either. Not if Ennis is your definition of a second-liner.

Those are my five on Chicago, yes. 

LA #1: Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Richards

LA #2: Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Gaborik

Boston: Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton

So Boston only had 4, but I feel my point is fairly sound.

What happens when I run the PPG of Evander and then the PPG of ROR over those 4 years?  Would you then concede that Kane has also produced at your 1st line rate?

Yes, but don't injuries matter? His ability (or lack thereof) to stay on the ice the last few years is one of the legitimate knocks on his acquisition.

Edit: And seriously, we're gonna argue over Kane? I already said I think he'll end up with 1st line production.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Those are my five on Chicago, yes. 

LA #1: Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Richards

LA #2: Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Gaborik

Boston: Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton

So Boston only had 4, but I feel my point is fairly sound.

Yes, but don't injuries matter? His ability (or lack thereof) to stay on the ice the last few years is one of the legitimate knocks on his acquisition.

Edit: And seriously, we're gonna argue over Kane? I already said I think he'll end up with 1st line production.

I am actually trying to ascertain what you perceive as first line production.  Judging from what you have said that is 0.68 points per game.

I am actually trying to ascertain what you perceive as first line production.  Judging from what you have said that is 0.68 points per game.

Somewhere around there. In today's NHL I think 50+ is 1st line production. It should go without saying you want at least a couple guys with production much higher than that, but I think it's a reasonable baseline. In other words, if your entire 1st line consists of 50 point players, you probably aren't very good.

Somewhere around there. In today's NHL I think 50+ is 1st line production. It should go without saying you want at least a couple guys with production much higher than that, but I think it's a reasonable baseline. In other words, if your entire 1st line consists of 50 point players, you probably aren't very good.

No but it gives us a good baseline to exam championship teams and see what they have. 

Schopp saying no problem sacrificing Bogosian in a trade.

Says if he retired today it wouldn't hurt the team at all.

Zadorov and Pysyk already better.

Did he stop watching hockey down the stretch?

Schopp's player evaluation: 

Step 1) look at Corsi

Step 2) form opinion

People like him do nothing but harm analytics-based arguments.

I couldn't find the gif of the dog being confused I wanted but head tilt.

Both Schopp and the Bulldog were agreeing that Bogo was basically included in the deal upon Jets request as the Sabres had to 'take on more money'.  Two days in a row I've heard both of them speak of Bogo like he's almost a liability.

Foligno, Zadorov, Pick would be my best guess at what Murray may be offering. 

Yes, this sounds right.

Ordinarily, I never have "sources," but I have an occasional acquaintance through work whom I happened to see today, and he advised that COL is now fully committed to moving ROR -- "it's happening," he said, and related that he knows someone first-hand with COL who is involved in the process (PRO-cess), and he said they (COL) are at like def-con 5 (or whatever) on getting a deal done.

Ordinarily, I never have "sources," but I have an occasional acquaintance through work whom I happened to see today, and he advised that COL is now fully committed to moving ROR -- "it's happening," he said, and related that he knows someone first-hand with COL who is involved in the process (PRO-cess), and he said they (COL) are at like def-con 5 (or whatever) on getting a deal done.

Thanks for the info.  I know losing Stanstny for nothing is fresh in their minds.  Maybe them feeling panicked a bit has them pull the trigger for slightly less.