Superdraft - where would every NHL player get picked today?

SDS

Duda, I think what you're doing here is noble.  Please don't get me wrong.  But I have so little interest in drafting again for "Winnipeg" (is it 17?) much less waiting all Spring for people to make picks.  It's--or maybe it was--a fun exercise.  I don't see it lasting.  I'm so sorry to say that.  You're one of the best around here.

Duda, I think what you're doing here is noble.  Please don't get me wrong.  But I have so little interest in drafting again for "Winnipeg" (is it 17?) much less waiting all Spring for people to make picks.  It's--or maybe it was--a fun exercise.  I don't see it lasting.  I'm so sorry to say that.  You're one of the best around here.

It's sure got those signs don't it?

It's sure got those signs don't it?

I have a suggestion for an alternative. It seems to me most people were interested in building rosters more so than ranking the best players in the league, so why don't we have a roster building competition (salary cap and all)? We could each have a week or whatever to put together our roster, then we put it to a series of forum votes for which roster is the best, tournament style (or we could find a really ambitious person to set the rosters up on NHL15 or something and simulate a season). Not sure how to set up the seeding for the voting, but it could be a fun exercise.

I have a suggestion for an alternative. It seems to me most people were interested in building rosters more so than ranking the best players in the league, so why don't we have a roster building competition (salary cap and all)? We could each have a week or whatever to put together our roster, then we put it to a series of forum votes for which roster is the best, tournament style (or we could find a really ambitious person to set the rosters up on NHL15 or something and simulate a season). Not sure how to set up the seeding for the voting, but it could be a fun exercise.

I'm still on for this draft, I like the concept and think it's great. Maybe start a new thread with the order/rules posted at the top so it's not as cluttered?

I also really like the idea of this draft TrueBlue. After this draft I think that draft could be a ton of fun

Interesting one. If you think he is Tavares or Stamkos, it's warranted.

(Wouldn't that be nice?)

I would like to think/hope so. Obviously nothing is certain, but Eichel did have a higher PPG in his draft year than Stamkos did, and Eichel played in the much tougher NCAA while Stamkos was in the OHL. That's pretty impressive.

A lot of people committed to this without being clear on what it was going to be and I own that.

That said everyone should be more than clear by now what is going on. And between all the second guessing some seem to be enjoying it.

A round every two days is a decent pace and Eleven is the only one who has said he's not sure if he will continue.

We're on page six. It's not like the thread has died. Why don't we just see where this goes? 

Your idea is a great one. But like I said up top, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Edited by dudacek

Me too. Gotta be Doughty, right??

It's extremely close, but I'll take Keith, if we're going with a snap-shot in time. If not I'll definitely take the 25 year old Doughty.

Edit: Or Karlsson. I don't know why but I always forget about him. He really impressed me these playoffs with the physical play he brought.

Edited by WildCard

Up to date list:

1. WildCard (Buffalo) - Patrick Kane

2. Randall Flagg (Arizona) - Connor McDavid

3. Liger (Edmonton) - John Tavares

4. JJ (Toronto) - Corey Perry

5. Qwksndmonster (Carolina) - Jonathan Toews 

6. Dudacek (New Jersey) - Sidney Crosby

7.  Eleven (Philly) - Steven Stamkos

8. WildCard (Columbus) - Alexander Ovechkin

9. Thorny (San Jose) - Jack Eichel

10. Derrico (Colorado) - Shea Weber

11. TrueBlue (Florida) - Tyler Seguin

12. Whisky (Dallas) - Ryan Johansen

13. 3Putt (LA) - Niklas Backstrom

14. Taro (Boston) - 

15. Ubkev (Calgary) -

16. Ubkev (Pittsburgh) - 

17. Eleven (Winnipeg) -

18. Dudacek (Ottawa) -

19. Taro (Detroit) - 

20. JJ (Minnesota) - 

21. Derrico (NYI) -

22. Whisky (Washington) - 

23. Hoss (Vancouver) -

24. Hoss (Chicago) -

25. Liger (Nashville) - 

26. Thorny (Tampa) -

27. 3Putt (St. Louis) -

28. Flagg (Anaheim) -

29. Flagg (Montreal) -

30. TrueBlue (NYR) -

Taro is on the clock

Wow.  Reading this thread has been an emotional roller-coaster:

- initial thrills at dudacek's suggestion and offer to run the draft

- crestfallen upon realizing I was too late to get in

- exasperation at reading all of the arguing about the rules

- dismay at seeing actual complaints about insufficient preparation and clarity

- cautious hope at seeing 11 potentially dropping out, thereby opening up a spot

So:  if 11 is out, I will gladly take his spot.

I will also point out that since dudacek is doing all the work, he gets to make the rules.

My interpretation of those rules is, I think, consistent with his:

- If you were starting a team, who would you pick?  This IMHO is pretty much synonymous with the "most valuable" factor dudacek has referred to, and it necessarily includes factors such as youth/age, position, etc.

- Since we aren't going to have 20 rounds of the draft (and in fact it looks like will be lucky to get to 3 rounds) -- I don't think anyone needs to worry too much about drafting by position.  Just take the 6 guys (2 per round) you would want as your core, with the assumption that you will build around them.  If that means 5 forwards and 1 defenseman -- so be it.  Plenty of good NHL teams have allocated their resources that way.

Enjoy.

Wow.  Reading this thread has been an emotional roller-coaster:

- initial thrills at dudacek's suggestion and offer to run the draft

- crestfallen upon realizing I was too late to get in

- exasperation at reading all of the arguing about the rules

- dismay at seeing actual complaints about insufficient preparation and clarity

- cautious hope at seeing 11 potentially dropping out, thereby opening up a spot

So:  if 11 is out, I will gladly take his spot.

I will also point out that since dudacek is doing all the work, he gets to make the rules.

My interpretation of those rules is, I think, consistent with his:

- If you were starting a team, who would you pick?  This IMHO is pretty much synonymous with the "most valuable" factor dudacek has referred to, and it necessarily includes factors such as youth/age, position, etc.

- Since we aren't going to have 20 rounds of the draft (and in fact it looks like will be lucky to get to 3 rounds) -- I don't think anyone needs to worry too much about drafting by position.  Just take the 6 guys (2 per round) you would want as your core, with the assumption that you will build around them.  If that means 5 forwards and 1 defenseman -- so be it.  Plenty of good NHL teams have allocated their resources that way.

Enjoy.

This isn't my rodeo, but one of the things that would have made me want to partake is if it was possible to put rosters into a simulator, and everyone throw in $20 to a Paypal address then run a 10 year simulation.

I am not a video game guy, but is it possible to have GM mode for multiple people on EA Sports or something else?

Have a live draft in an agreed time in the chat room. Should last 3 hours or so.

Give the guy putting the rosters in and running the simulation $50-100...something like that.

Each sim year, Cup winner gets $40, Cup loser $10.

If you want to do the sim over time to stretch out the drama....that would be cool.

Like i said, not my rodeo, but if anything like that is possible, sounds fun.

This isn't my rodeo, but one of the things that would have made me want to partake is if it was possible to put rosters into a simulator, and everyone throw in $20 to a Paypal address then run a 10 year simulation.

I am not a video game guy, but is it possible to have GM mode for multiple people on EA Sports or something else?

Have a live draft in an agreed time in the chat room. Should last 3 hours or so.

Give the guy putting the rosters in and running the simulation $50-100...something like that.

Each sim year, Cup winner gets $40, Cup loser $10.

If you want to do the sim over time to stretch out the drama....that would be cool.

Like i said, not my rodeo, but if anything like that is possible, sounds fun.

This actually sounds like something that would be really cool to code. I can code it, but I don't know how to make the code available on a website for everyone to use. If I send the code in java/c form to SDS and he can upload it on here that would be a really fun summer project for me to undertake. Shouldn't take more than a week or so, depending on the interest level and how busy I am. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.