Superdraft - where would every NHL player get picked today?

SDS

Contract is irrelevant to this draft, which is to rank the best/most valuable players in the league.

Rules are in the top post of the page:

Probably should have read those too. Seguin is young, inexpensive, and, well, young. I picked him as if I wanted to build my future team around one player in the league.

My fault though; I'm not unhappy with the pick, I still think he's a great player with his best years ahead of him.

Contract is irrelevant to this draft, which is to rank the best/most valuable players in the league.

Rules are in the top post of the page:

I was elected to lead not to read!

I get it for an exercise like this, but in the real world contracts are a part of a player's value.

I'm confused as to if we are drafting to fill out the team format that Randall has listed.

dudacek, I read the rules, but just confirming, is it simply just drafting the best players available regardless of current contract status? (if that is what we are doing, it does make sense to ignore current contract as that would be a relic of their past team, not the ones we are assembling now as "new GMs").

Edited by Thorny

I'm confused as to if we are drafting to fill out the team format that Randall has listed.

dudacek, I read the rules, but just confirming, is it simply just drafting the best players available regardless of current contract status? (if that is what we are doing, it does make sense to ignore current contract as that would be a relic of their past team, not the ones we are assembling now as "new GMs").

Contract status and position are irrelevant.

You are not picking a team, you are ranking the best available players.

I'll be happy to host a team building one when this one is through, but this is not it.

I'll be happy to host a team building one when this one is through, but this is not it.

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification!

So how will this be judged? I feel like there should've been more actual discussion before this thing kicked off.

This isn't my baby but I don't understand why you would rank them. It doesn't make any sense.

If you're not building a team why would you draft Connor McDavid? Clearly he's not one of the best players in the NHL given the fact that he has never played in the NHL.

I'lll try this one more time because we all obviously aren't on the same page.

I read the question being posed by this thread as to who you would pick if you were starting a team from scratch, no strings attached.

I thought it would turn into a good discussion of "this guy is better than that guy because...."

I thought a draft would be a good way to see how valued players were.

In the end we'd come up with a list of the top 300 players in the league as ranked by Sabrespace.

There is no advantage to where you pick, there is no need to flip the order in the second round.

It's not a pool. There is no winner.

I also like the idea of building a team, like SDS describes up thread, and like we do in the Sabrespace fantasy pools.

I'm not sure how you would turn it into a competition, but it would probably result in a very different list because posters would have to draft for need. I'd be happy to play or host that one when this one is done.

But this draft is not for need, it is for value.

I guess this has to be based on current players in the league?

What's the fun in that?

Why not open it up to all time too?!

My #1 right now among current players would be Toews.

It can also include draft eligible players.

Yes. The point is to determine who we think the best most/valuable players are, no strings attached.

Sweet. Well then, I pick Patrick Kane.

bc8a664b6c16415f913fc99da27c6c29-dropmic

I can't in good conscience pick a prospect as the best player in the NHL when he hasn't even played a game. Kane does things on the ice, in games, that nobody else in the league can or thinks of doing. He has one of the best wrist shots in the league, and creates time and space for other players. He's sound defensively, and always shows up in the palyoffs: one Con Smyth and 2 Stanely Cups. Kane is, IMO, the best player in the NHL.

Edit: Props to IKP, nice gif  ;)

Edited by WildCard

Yes, but not Bobby Orr or Gretz, huh?

Nope. That would completely change the format, in that you would then have to look at current NHL players as if they had their whole careers ahead of them when picking them, instead of say, an age 30 Rick Nash, like we are doing. If that makes sense.

Edited by Thorny

Nope. That would completely change the format, in that you would then have to look at current NHL players as if when picking them, they have their whole careers ahead of them, instead of say, an age 30 Rick Nash, like we are doing. If that makes sense.

I see what you mean.  Like "Right now" at this snap shot in time, who are the 10 best players in the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.