Superdraft - where would every NHL player get picked today?

SDS

No one is building a team.

You are being asked to pick who you think is the best available player, period.

I'll say it again - you are the only one saying this. No one else is doing it that way.

I'll say it again - you are the only one saying this. No one else is doing it that way.

The continue my thought...

The only way any of this draft makes any sense is if you think of yourself as the GM of <insert team name here>. If the league magically voided all contracts this offseason and suddenly every player is up for grabs as part of a *ahem* SUPERDRAFT. The Oilers would start by picking the player they think gives them the best chance at being a good team. So they would weigh such factors as talent level, position played, age and clutch/intangibles to pick a player. This would mean a top player who is also young would be someone like Stamkos. They would certainly give pause to select a guy like Jagr since he's probably retired in a year and they waste their pick.

If you just are picking the top player this isn't any different than a power ranking or the list from TSN. It basically has to be team building to be any fun.

Carry on... :nana:

so one day, 20 strangers got together and started playing a game. Only, they were all playing by a different set of rules.

This will be a fantastic reality gameshow.

It just makes it more like real life. NYI and EDM having been picking (and making trades) by a different set of rules for years!

1. WildCard (Buffalo) - Patrick Kane

2. Randall Flagg (Arizona) - Connor McDavid

3. Liger (Edmonton) - John Tavares

4. JJ (Toronto) - Corey Perry

5. Qwksndmonster (Carolina) - Jonathan Toews

6. Dudacek (New Jersey) - Sidney Crosby

7. Eleven (Philly) - Steven Stamkos

8. WildCard (Columbus) - Alexander Ovechkin

9. Thorny (San Jose) - Jack Eichel

10. Derrico (Colorado) - Shea Weber

11. TrueBlue (Florida) - Tyler Seguin

12. Whisky (Dallas) - Ryan Johansen

13. 3Putt (LA) - Niklas Backstrom

14. Taro (Boston) - Nathan MacKinnon

15. Ubkev (Calgary) - Claude Giroux

16. Ubkev (Pittsburgh) - Evgeni Malkin

17. Eleven Nfreemen (Winnipeg) - Erik Karlsson

18. Dudacek (Ottawa) - Drew Doughty

19. Taro (Detroit) - Jamie Benn

20. JJ (Minnesota) - Vladimir Tarasenko

21. Derrico (NYI) - PK Subban

22. Whisky (Washington) - Logan Couture

23. Hoss (Vancouver) - Ryan Getzlaf

24. Hoss (Chicago) - Carey Price

25. Liger (Nashville) -

26. Thorny (Tampa) -

27. 3Putt (St. Louis) -

28. Flagg (Anaheim) -

29. Flagg (Montreal) -

30. TrueBlue (NYR) -

Matthews not eligible

The continue my thought...

The only way any of this draft makes any sense is if you think of yourself as the GM of <insert team name here>. If the league magically voided all contracts this offseason and suddenly every player is up for grabs as part of a *ahem* SUPERDRAFT. The Oilers would start by picking the player they think gives them the best chance at being a good team. So they would weigh such factors as talent level, position played, age and clutch/intangibles to pick a player. This would mean a top player who is also young would be someone like Stamkos. They would certainly give pause to select a guy like Jagr since he's probably retired in a year and they waste their pick.

If you just are picking the top player this isn't any different than a power ranking or the list from TSN. It basically has to be team building to be any fun.

Carry on... :nana:

I like the idea of picking the best possible players and then in the end looking at them as the core to build around.

Both of these describe my view on this as well.

I'm doing it his way. After all it was his idea. 

Me too. 

Just don't see any guarantees this guy is elite.

To me, he tops out as Thomas Vanek or Stephane Richer.

Jeff Skinner, anyone?

I think Forsberg is really really good, with room to grow. I think he's got less pure offensive ability than Vanek, but he's a better skater and has a more well rounded game. I think he tops out as a poor man's Hossa...and I mean that in a good way.

You're the only one that thinks that. :P

Just kidding I actually considered Forsberg. And we've basically passed the elite potential phase.

Yea we are into the 2nd tier or at least on the edge.  I almost picked a certain other winger but Forsberg had a better year and has better upside IMPO.

I think Forsberg is really really good, with room to grow. I think he's got less pure offensive ability than Vanek, but he's a better skater and has a more well rounded game. I think he tops out as a poor man's Hossa...and I mean that in a good way.

We see things similarly.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.