2015 IIHF Championship Prague May 1-17

Brawndo

Oh - I see the Sabres are looking to host their own tournament at Harbor Center (Harbour Centre?) though it might not be this year.

Just another reason I think about moving back to Buffalo occasionally.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-notebook-rising-cap-could-limit-murrays-dealing-20150318

Ah, interesting. There's your reason. It'd be really cool if the two cities could schedule two separate tournaments and then the champion of each tournament plays a championship game in the NHL team's arenas... Alternate the championship game year by year.

If all 30 (31/32 soon) teams could get involved it would be awesome.

Ah, interesting. There's your reason. It'd be really cool if the two cities could schedule two separate tournaments and then the champion of each tournament plays a championship game in the NHL team's arenas... Alternate the championship game year by year.

If all 30 (31/32 soon) teams could get involved it would be awesome.

That would be sweet! I bet the NBC Sports Network or the NHL Network could find room on their channels for some of that!

I've been enjoying watching the sled hockey from the Harbor Center. It's very photogenic and they weren't lying when they said it was designed for camera angles.

EDIT: I found this that discusses it and brings up the TV thing.

http://twointhebox.com/2015/03/19/might-the-sabres-be-in-line-for-their-own-prospect-tournament/

Edited by MBHockey13

Not all players respond to the call for this tournament. Nagging injuries, family or other commitments, contract status, disinterest, multiple years of deep playoff runs and international travel may be factors.

I don't know about the USA teams but Canada usually fields a team of young stars wanting to develop and show the national program they are commited.

By the way, almost half of the Canadian Olympic team is still in the playoffs, so I wouldn't call the team stacked. It just speaks of the depth of the program.

Toews, Sharp, Keith, Getzlaf, Perry, Price, Subban, Nash and Stamkos (had he been healthy) plus Seabrook from the 2010 team.

Solid, if not spectacular debut against pro players for Jack Eichel. Was very responsible in his own zone which is what I looked for first. Seemed to grow in confidence as the game progressed and looked like he fit right in with the speed of the US team. Had him playing the half wall on the left side on power plays and looked like they were trying to set him up for the "Ovechkin" from the circle. He's got a major league shot already from what I saw. 

Was on the ice for a goal against, but no fault of his own as he played his position well on that shift. All in all, I'll take it as a good first step. 

GO SABRES!!!

I thought it was on at 11pm, it's on now?

Watching it now, thanks for the heads  up.

Well that sucks. I thought it was on at 11 as well.

I saw it live--was it delayed?  And don't even think about making this my fault.

2-1 in the third and he is getting a ton of ice-time, on the pp too, and at center.

I started watching in the first period and wasn't even sure if he was playing after a few minutes.  By the 2nd period he was all over the ice and by the third period he was probably the best player out there.  Really impressive game.

...Eichel was pretty un-impressive IMO.

The worst for me was that they sent him in to take 3 important face-offs: 2-PP and 1-PK and he got smoked on all three.

You lost me here. You want to criticize a player and the first thing you mention is face offs. I don't care if Jack Eichel ever rakes a face off let alone win one.

You lost me here. You want to criticize a player and the first thing you mention is face offs. I don't care if Jack Eichel ever rakes a face off let alone win one.

Amen! Best description I ever read of faceoffs is "an over-emphasized one-on-one battle in a game of hundreds one-on-one battles." 

Faceoffs are also one of the skills that a player can still develop at this age.  Sidney Crosby wasn't great at them initially and decided to focus a lot of attention one year on improving; he's now very, very good at them.

Face offs are an important part of the game, they lead to possession. I'm not a fancy stat guy but you need to win the majority of the battles to have the puck more often..

I agree that it is a skill that can be taught and these young guys will need training and possibly a mentor.

Bring back Konopka. LOL

Face offs are an important part of the game, they lead to possession. I'm not a fancy stat guy but you need to win the majority of the battles to have the puck more often..

I agree that it is a skill that can be taught and these young guys will need training and possibly a mentor.

Bring back Konopka. LOL

Yup, you need to win the majority of battles...and you can do that without winning the majority of faceoffs. Faceoffs are no more important than any other battle that takes place during a game, yet they're tracked and put on a pedestal.

Yup, you need to win the majority of battles...and you can do that without winning the majority of faceoffs. Faceoffs are no more important than any other battle that takes place during a game, yet they're tracked and put on a pedestal.

But with 6 seconds left on the clock and down by one goal, it may be the only battle you need to win in order to have a chance at winning the game.

Just sayin' it's a battle that starts out fairly, played out dozens of times a game, that can give you possession of the puck. It's not like the jump ball in basketball.

When Bergeron lines up against a guy 10-15 percentage points below him, there is a distinct advantage. Same as Gerbe going into the corner vs Corey Perry. There are constant matchups that coaches try to take advantage of and the face off is an easy one to use.

The other skill that is getting more recognition is the takeaway, which Datsyuk is a master at. Seems like Stone is good at this as well.

Maybe. But if you win a few other battles throughout the game, you may not need that faceoff.

This is a pretty weak argument. Of course this is the case, but how does that change the fact that the faceoffs in a tie or one-goal game late is important?

Faceoffs are huge. I want my star center to know how to win them in key situations. There's more than a handful of games a year where a team got a point or more because of their ability to win a draw clean late in the game.

I'm not saying Eichel's struggles at the dot are a big deal right now because they're not. He'll learn as he grows. But it's an important skill.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.