2015 IIHF Championship Prague May 1-17

Brawndo

It makes sense when you look at the roster, but this US team is having a lot of trouble completing passes in stride. Lots of in the skates and just outside the reach going on.

I can't watch...but that is usually the US roster for the prelims has rarely or never played together.

I just going to leave this here

@JulieRobenhymer: Eichel is 6-1 in the faceoff circle....I know @TerrierHockey Coach Quinn is proud! #IIHFWorlds #weaknessnowastrength #TeamUSA #USAHockey

Sometimes it is just getting used to the culture of the drop's of International Officiating. 

Hard to believe he's 18 and that strong. He's been holding his own against grown-up pro players for three games now and doesn't look out of place in the least. He'll be the strongest winger we have the minute he joins the team. 

On a sidenote and only because I don't see a "McDavid" thread, has anyone been watching his OHL playoff games on NHLN? His scoring is one thing, but I don't think I've seen a guy think the game like him in a long time. Case in point, he was carrying the puck through the neutral zone, him against two SSM defensemen who were backing up. As he approached the blue line he threw the puck to an open space behind the Dmen. As soon as they turned to locate the puck, McDavid kicked it into another gear, went around the D man, and retrieved the puck for a chance to score. He essentially completed a 30 foot pass to himself, from the blue line to the right slot. Amazing. 

GO SABRES!!!

Hard to believe he's 18 and that strong. He's been holding his own against grown-up pro players for three games now and doesn't look out of place in the least. He'll be the strongest winger we have the minute he joins the team. 

On a sidenote and only because I don't see a "McDavid" thread, has anyone been watching his OHL playoff games on NHLN? His scoring is one thing, but I don't think I've seen a guy think the game like him in a long time. Case in point, he was carrying the puck through the neutral zone, him against two SSM defensemen who were backing up. As he approached the blue line he threw the puck to an open space behind the Dmen. As soon as they turned to locate the puck, McDavid kicked it into another gear, went around the D man, and retrieved the puck for a chance to score. He essentially completed a 30 foot pass to himself, from the blue line to the right slot. Amazing. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is the wrong thread so this will be the only comment I have as I want the focus to be on the tourney and how Eichel performs. 

I'm very curious to see how McDavid plays in the OHL finals.  The Gens are pretty stacked and are designed similar to an NHL team with the entire D-core (less Vande Somple) 6' or taller.  They also play a very hard hitting and stingy defensive game.  It will be interesting to see how McDavid handles the series.  Can McDavid handle the big boys like 6'6 Mike McCarron, Hunter Smith and Josh Brown?

GO SABRES!!!

McDavid is dead to me. He's so dead to me I don't even want him! Long live Jack Eichel! ;)

This is the wrong thread so this will be the only comment I have as I want the focus to be on the tourney and how Eichel performs. 

I'm very curious to see how McDavid plays in the OHL finals.  The Gens are pretty stacked and are designed similar to an NHL team with the entire D-core (less Vande Somple) 6' or taller.  They also play a very hard hitting and stingy defensive game.  It will be interesting to see how McDavid handles the series.  Can McDavid handle the big boys like 6'6 Mike McCarron, Hunter Smith and Josh Brown?

Agreed. Looking forward to it, too. 

And to return us to discussing Eichel, I've been very impressed with his ability to handle the big boys. Just worked his ass off for the puck against a bigger Russian D man, fought him off, skated behind the net and gave himself a decent chance at a wrap around. Everything we've heard of Eichel's strength is true. He's "man" strong already. Can't wait until he figures the game out. 

GO SABRES!!!

I wonder about jack Eichel's conditioning. I know he is strong but I wonder if some of his coasting is because of his cardio stamina. 

Going full speed all the time isn't necessary.  Granted I am not watching him but sometimes it pays to coast and let the play develop or let it come to you.  Usually if you have to go full speed it's because you were out of position or got beat.

US loses defensive zone faceoff, forces turnover, goes down the ice for a good scoring chance :angel:

Not sure that's a great retort.  Think about it.  If they had won the faceoff they wouldn't have had to force a turnover.  So, the loss of the first action necessitated a second action.  Whereas winning the first action would have solved the possession problem.  Not that I want to get pulled into the debate.  But you know.. I guess I do.

Going full speed all the time isn't necessary.  Granted I am not watching him but sometimes it pays to coast and let the play develop or let it come to you.  Usually if you have to go full speed it's because you were out of position or got beat.

Not sure that's a great retort.  Think about it.  If they had won the faceoff they wouldn't have had to force a turnover.  So, the loss of the first action necessitated a second action.  Whereas winning the first action would have solved the possession problem.  Not that I want to get pulled into the debate.  But you know.. I guess I do.

I figured the emoticon would get across I was just having some fun with it, but what the hell: if they had won, they could have lost the puck in their own zone too and created a scoring chance for Russia--it's not like maintaining possession and getting the scoring chance was guaranteed with a win. In fact, given that the turnover took place near the blue line, that made it easier to get the puck out of the zone whereas with a win the puck would have been deeper in their own end, perhaps making it harder to skate it out.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This is the case. He isn't loafing at all, just being measured out there and picking his spots, playing under control. When he kicks it into gear though, it's noticeable. 

GO SABRES!!!

You needed to be watching. What you are suggesting is not at all what I was witnessing from Eichel. It wasn't letting the play develop. There were several times in the defensive end I remember thinking he was floating too much and needed to be more engaged.  It won't fly at the NHL level. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.