Evan Rodigues Signs with Sabres Confirmed 2 YR Deal

Brawndo

What's interesting is the difference between 2012-13 and 2013-14 ...

2011-12 36GP 2G 10A 12P

2012-13 38GP 14G 20A 34P

2013-14 31GP 5G 9A 14P

2014-15 41GP 21A 40A 61P

Clearly, his senior year (1.488 PPG) was more than just progression, so that was likely the Eichel effect.  However, he went from a 0.895 PPG player as a sophomore to a 0.452 PPG player as a junior.

There was a lot of disorder going into his junior season.  It was Quinn's first year as a head coach and also the first time in about 200 years that BU had a new head coach.  Combine all of that with a lot of turnover in talent and that probably goes a long way to explain the weak number that year, mostly across the board on the team.  They were very young and raw, with not all that much talent to work with.

I think Eichel had at least some reason behind the signing, apology probably not, sole reason no, but it had to count for something. Maybe a tiebreaker of sorts 

For O'Connor I read that well after I posted.

Eh, it'd be silly to not give someone who has played well with Eichel a shot in a position the Sabres need, favor or not. Best case he's a late-bloomer, worst he's a career (even if that career is 2 years) AHL player.

What's interesting is the difference between 2012-13 and 2013-14 ...

2011-12 36GP 2G 10A 12P

2012-13 38GP 14G 20A 34P

2013-14 31GP 5G 9A 14P

2014-15 41GP 21A 40A 61P

Clearly, his senior year (1.488 PPG) was more than just progression, so that was likely the Eichel effect.  However, he went from a 0.895 PPG player as a sophomore to a 0.452 PPG player as a junior.

Injury maybe? Seems odd to say the least.

Maybe he was on academic probation with Jack. :)

Oh, new angle I don't think was mentioned: the more people TM signs off BU, the less reason Jack Eichel has to stay. :)

This was the angle I was looking at. If none of Eichel's line is still at BU, I think he has much less incentive for sticking around since he would have to build chemistry with new college players.

Except that he had already played 4 seasons so I don't think the NCAA was going to let Rodrigues stay.

Whoops! :) I was thinking if he signs O'Connor (although rumor has it Buffalo is out on that now).

Edited by MattPie

Whoops! :) I was thinking if he signs O'Connor (although rumor has it Buffalo is out on that now).

Supposedly O'Conner met with a few teams yesterday and it was said Buffalo was out for O'Conner. Also on WGR they talked about O'Conner and Rodigues not getting along with each other. Could the Rodigues signing taken the Sabres out of the running for O'Conner ?

Supposedly O'Conner met with a few teams yesterday and it was said Buffalo was out for O'Conner. Also on WGR they talked about O'Conner and Rodigues not getting along with each other. Could the Rodigues signing taken the Sabres out of the running for O'Conner ?

@TSNBobMcKenzie, the #Sabres are out of the Matt O'Connor race. #BU #Sabres

This is from a couple of days ago but the Sabres have been out on O'Connor since about the beginning of the week it seems

Do enough scouting of Eichel and you fall in love with another player on his team. No surprise. I like how the Sabres are going after 22 year college players. Flynn and Schaller were found this way. Can't ever have enough talent and competition in the syaytem

I like Flynn's game and thought he made a decent 3rd/4th line tweener.  Even if it was in the short term.  That being said, if trading him away helped secure 30th, I'm okay with it,

Do enough scouting of Eichel and you fall in love with another player on his team. No surprise. I like how the Sabres are going after 22 year college players. Flynn and Schaller were found this way. Can't ever have enough talent and competition in the syaytem

They were aware of Rodrigues long before Eichel showed up. It's not like he was aging in East Mooseknuckle Yukon. Pretty much all of D1 hockey is pretty heavily scouted.

Forget his skill. What I can't think of is an NHL player named Evan. Evan is your daughters prom date, not a hockey name.

Who scouted this guy?

Evan Markwart. Wait...

Forget his skill. What I can't think of is an NHL player named Evan. Evan is your daughters prom date, not a hockey name.

Who scouted this guy?

Actually (literally), there were four in the league last season.

Size and lack of offensive skill at 18 would be my guess.

I think Murray still wants to trade up, if you mean the 2nd first rounder we own.  Either that or he trades that pick.

I would assume it depends on who's available in talks and if anything goes past the "is this player available" stage.  There could be a lot of teams up against the cap especially if it falls the possible 1.3M below that could have some interesting options available.  Even a third line center, wing, or upside early 20's player who is not necessarily in their plans long term could work.  (Not saying that the pick equates to that type of player)....Who knows.  As far as Rodrigues, he had a nice season regardless of Eichel on his line, obviously that helps.  There are some nice shots on net in the video packages I've seen. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Who scouted this guy?

Evan-der Kane?

Yeah but he doesn't spell it in the typical fashion in Spanish; it should be Rodriguez, not Rodrigues.  Why no z?

A quick google turns up that Rodrigues (Son of Rodrigo) is Portuguese and Rodriguez is Spanish.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.