Who does Tim Murray Trade in the summer of 2015?

LGR4GM

So I ran the numbers... well the players... and as Dudacek pointed out, I missed Gionta on my roster.  We have a laundry list of forwards and I can't fit them all on the team.  

Eichel, Reinhart, Larsson, Grigorenko, Zemgus, Ennis, Kane, Foligno, Moulson, Desluariers, Hodgson, Gionta, McCormick, possibly Kaleta... any other forwards I am missing?

Either way the point is someone has to get traded this summer in some sort of deal.  I would guess 2 players and that extra 1st rounder are going to packaged for a RW of some kind.  So the question is, who gets traded?  Somebody has to go.  

If I'm a betting man and had to pick three guys on his radar it could be Grigorenko, Zadorov and Hodgson. I have a feeling he's got something up his sleeve. Me personally think Grigorenko if he continue's to work out hard during the offseason and works on his skating he could be a difference maker. Zadorov if he gets on the program like Risto did he could be something to watch. And Cody had the worst season ever. I don't expect that next year playing with the right players.

McCormick, Kaleta gone

So I ran the numbers... well the players... and as Dudacek pointed out, I missed Gionta on my roster.  We have a laundry list of forwards and I can't fit them all on the team.  

Eichel, Reinhart, Larsson, Grigorenko, Zemgus, Ennis, Kane, Foligno, Moulson, Desluariers, Hodgson, Gionta, McCormick, possibly Kaleta... any other forwards I am missing?

Either way the point is someone has to get traded this summer in some sort of deal.  I would guess 2 players and that extra 1st rounder are going to packaged for a RW of some kind.  So the question is, who gets traded?  Somebody has to go.  

You listed 14 forwards...aren't two spares the norm?  If not, I can see one of Kaleta/McCormick back in the fall, and the most likely of the forwards to be traded...Grigorenko.  That would leave you with 12.

Lots of posters claiming the same. Not sure why, Nolan was the one who hated him.

Good Q.

I'd prefer they keep him. If they don't, he'd better be part of a package for a true 1st line RW. After all the years in the darkness post Drury/Briere/Zubrus, I am really looking forward to seeing a team overflowing w/ C's that can play on the top 3 lines: Eichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Larsson. Add in Ennis and (if he's back) Hodgson and that's 5 guys that are good at C w/ 2 spares. McCormick has the 4th line covered.

Having (arguably) 8 C's dressed on any given night after (again arguably) only 1 (and that being McCormick :lol:) is sweet. (And yes, Ennis and Hodgson are counted in the 1st but not the 2nd. Don't care; it was for emphasis. :p)

I think Hodgson is bought out or traded w/ salary kept

Potential Targets for the RW:

Patrick Sharp (CHI must cut salary)

Jordan Eberle (With McDavid likely forcing at least 1 out)

Justin Williams (UFA - vet)

Tyler Toffoli (RFA - would likely cost the NYI 1st, a 3rd or 2nd and a wing prospect) (Probably the best on the list in terms of age, and Cup experience)

I don't think Hodgson has any trade value whatsoever.  Colorado is not going to take him in any ROR deal unless they give the Sabres back at least as much bad-contract money in the deal.

I also think Colorado is going to want a defenseman that they can drop right into their top 4.  Nikita isn't there yet and neither is McCabe.  They may or may not be comfortable with Pysyk in that role.

I don't think TM will trade Eichel, Reinhart or Kane.

That doesn't leave many with trade value -- probably just Ennis and Zemgus, with Moulson and Foligno and perhaps Griggy and Larsson having a bit of value.

Zadorov/pysyk get traded only if he can add a big ticket free agent veteran on def

Sekera/Green would be the only replacements worth it.

I still wouldn't trade Zadorov or Pysyk.  But I can see your emphasis there.  I am not a Green fan regardless of his ability to run a PP unit.  He has no ability in his own zone.  Pass.  

I don't think Hodgson has any trade value whatsoever.  Colorado is not going to take him in any ROR deal unless they give the Sabres back at least as much bad-contract money in the deal.

I also think Colorado is going to want a defenseman that they can drop right into their top 4.  Nikita isn't there yet and neither is McCabe.  They may or may not be comfortable with Pysyk in that role.

I don't think TM will trade Eichel, Reinhart or Kane.

That doesn't leave many with trade value -- probably just Ennis and Zemgus, with Moulson and Foligno and perhaps Griggy and Larsson having a bit of value.

I still don't really understand the O'Reilly chatter. He is a left handed shot and would not solve our weakness at RW. I think GMTM has identified a few RW targets and is awaiting word on the prices.

My guess is the trade is for Eberle, with the primary piece being Zadorov. That gives a top 6 of Kane-Eichel-Eberle; Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis with Grigo and Zemgus as a strong C/LW combo on the 3rd line.

Totally agreed on the bold. They are the cornerstone pieces.

I still don't really understand the O'Reilly chatter. He is a left handed shot and would not solve our weakness at RW. I think GMTM has identified a few RW targets and is awaiting word on the prices.

My guess is the trade is for Eberle, with the primary piece being Zadorov. That gives a top 6 of Kane-Eichel-Eberle; Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis with Grigo and Zemgus as a strong C/LW combo on the 3rd line.

Totally agreed on the bold. They are the cornerstone pieces.

What makes you think Eberle is the type of player Murray would be interested in? I really don't know much about him, other than he's not overly physical and under six foot. Stat wise he seems like someone I'd like on the team and his cap hit isn't awful by any means.

What makes you think Eberle is the type of player Murray would be interested in? I really don't know much about him, other than he's not overly physical and under six foot. Stat wise he seems like someone I'd like on the team and his cap hit isn't awful by any means.

He's a top 5 pick overall. Murray has made a blockbuster trade with Winnipeg that ended up with the Sabres gaining two top 5 overall picks in Kane and Bogosian. I don't think Murray targets anything other than elite talent sets. Established 60 point + guys are hard to find and rarely come available.

Trade Hodgson or buy him out. If we go with what we currently have I'd go with a lineup of:

Kane Eichel Ennis

Moulson Girgensons Reinhart

Larsson Grigorenko Gionta

Foligno McCormick Deslauriers (if McCormick retires due to medical reasons I resign Kaleta and go with a 4th line of

Deslauriers Foligno Kaleta)

Gorges Bogosian

Zadorov Ristolainen

Weber Psysk

He's a top 5 pick overall. Murray has made a blockbuster trade with Winnipeg that ended up with the Sabres gaining two top 5 overall picks in Kane and Bogosian. I don't think Murray targets anything other than elite talent sets. Established 60 point + guys are hard to find and rarely come available.

I just feel like he's undersized and closer to Ennis in terms of play than he is Kane. I think the appeal of Kane was his physical game and also why we swapped Myers and Bogosian. Nichushkin is a RW who comes to mind as a Murray type player. Large, physical, and can score. I doubt the Stars would consider trading him, but they do need help defensively and he's coming off injury. 

I just feel like he's undersized and closer to Ennis in terms of play than he is Kane. I think the appeal of Kane was his physical game and also why we swapped Myers and Bogosian. Nichushkin is a RW who comes to mind as a Murray type player. Large, physical, and can score. I doubt the Stars would consider trading him, but they do need help defensively and he's coming off injury. 

I mean there are plenty of RW's out there that I would rather have too. Tyler Seguin would be great as a RW. I picked Eberle because he has a decent chance of being available since Edmonton won the lottery and are expected to change up their roster to get some defense help. 

Kane-Eichel-Eberle is a #1 line on a cup team IMO.

Not even close. That package doesn't even net McDavid alone

I think a swap w/ Edmonton will be more about saving face.  Still feel McDavid doesn't want to play for Edmonton and the Oilers won't want to deal with that PR nightmare.  Murray knows this.  Murray has no reason to throw the kitchen sink at Edmonton.

With that being said, Eichel, Grigs and Hodgson, and a couple 2nd rounders for McDavid and Yakupov isn't chopped liver.  I don't think Murray throws in 16 first rounder since it could be a lottery pick.  If so, scratch the two 2nd rounders.

Eichel

Grigs

Hodgson

1st in 2016 (possible lottery)

for

McDavid

Yakupov

I see that as doable.

Edited by dejeanneret

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.