The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

IMO everything above about 35 is.  

The first player I remember with a number over that was Espo.  He wore 77 with the Rags because he couldn't wear 7.  

Then it was Gretzky.  Then Lemieux.  Then Lindros. And on and on.

All of the sudden, it was an explosion.

Look.  It used to be that goalies wore 1 and 30-something; that D-men wore 2-6 and 22-29; that forwards wore the numbers in between. I'm not saying we have to go back to that, but, FFS, I'm really sick of players (other than Doug Glatt) wearing stupid numbers.  And I am ESPECIALLY sick of Rip issuing stupid numbers. 

In any event, telling a player he can't have a vanity number, IMO, is tantamount to telling him that he's part of a team, and not a man unto himself.

Petr Klima

<85>

IMO everything above about 35 is.  

The first player I remember with a number over that was Espo.  He wore 77 with the Rags because he couldn't wear 7.  

Then it was Gretzky.  Then Lemieux.  Then Lindros. And on and on.

All of the sudden, it was an explosion.

Look.  It used to be that goalies wore 1 and 30-something; that D-men wore 2-6 and 22-29; that forwards wore the numbers in between. I'm not saying we have to go back to that, but, FFS, I'm really sick of players (other than Doug Glatt) wearing stupid numbers.  And I am ESPECIALLY sick of Rip issuing stupid numbers. 

In any event, telling a player he can't have a vanity number, IMO, is tantamount to telling him that he's part of a team, and not a man unto himself.

What about Wilf?

You know the answer. You can't just make a lunch bet on something nobody is arguing. :P

I'm not snooty.  Wendy's on Main and North is fine.

If you think it's gonna be over 40, let's go.

What about Wilf?

Wilf?

Not even Napier, who, IIRC, wore 65 for charity.

("65 roses" is how children with cystic fibrosis say the name of their disease.)

Edited with quotation marks.

Edited by Eleven

I don't. And I never said I thought that. And I told you multiple times that I don't. Yeesh. Probe a little further up my butthole and you might find your way to my heart, Eleven. :p

Wilf?

Not even Napier, who, IIRC, wore 65 for charity.

("65 roses" is how children with cystic fibrosis say the name of their disease.)

Edited with quotation marks.

Paiement. The other 99.

@pham1717: With bonuses Eichel's contract is 3 years/$11.325-million. Last year with bonuses Reinhart got 3 years/$10.75-million.

Godd or PA would be happy to point out that the season ticket price increase will cover that gap and, line Terry's pocket's to boot! I'm not happy about my season ticket price increase. But I know I'm funding Eichels baby college fund! I am FINE.

Interesting factoid: It's now equipment manager Dave Williams who issues the numbers.

You want me to email him?  I coached his son a few years ago. :)

I'm not going to though. No need.

It'll be whatever number he wants it to be and if it's above 30, 49, 55, 65, 82.. so be it... I think the only number that would be out of bounds should be 69.

Hell.. I don't even care if he wears 99.  Everyone wears 9 and 4 and there were some damn good players in hockey history who wore those. :)

Wow. Great article. I got a cold chill run through me when I read that. It just feels like destiny that Jack ended up in Buffalo. His work ethic and RORs work ethic is going to be contagious and hopefully spread through the others on this team. I can't wait till these guys gel and become a friggin machine.

Some Parts of TBN Article

At 15, before Eichel left for Michigan, Junior Bruins coach Chris Masters handed him a pen with his name engraved and said, “Use this to sign your first contract.”

Last week, Eichel did.

It explains why he quickly became smitten with Terry Pegula upon realizing he was the Sabres’ owner. Eichel met him before the draft and figured he was the team’s head scout. He realized only after the Sabres selected him that he actually owned the franchise.

“What billionaire carries a flip phone?” Eichel said. “It says something about him, I think. He’s so down to earth. I love him. I think he’s a great guy.”

He said all the right things before the draft but did the lottery math and secretly was hoping to land in Buffalo, partly because of its proximity to home. Boston, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo are within driving distance. In truth, he might have stayed at Boston University for another season if the lottery had worked out differently and he landed in Edmonton.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Some Parts of TBN Article

At 15, before Eichel left for Michigan, Junior Bruins coach Chris Masters handed him a pen with his name engraved and said, “Use this to sign your first contract.”

Last week, Eichel did.

It explains why he quickly became smitten with Terry Pegula upon realizing he was the Sabres’ owner. Eichel met him before the draft and figured he was the team’s head scout. He realized only after the Sabres selected him that he actually owned the franchise.

“What billionaire carries a flip phone?” Eichel said. “It says something about him, I think. He’s so down to earth. I love him. I think he’s a great guy.”

He said all the right things before the draft but did the lottery math and secretly was hoping to land in Buffalo, partly because of its proximity to home. Boston, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo are within driving distance. In truth, he might have stayed at Boston University for another season if the lottery had worked out differently and he landed in Edmonton.

This should be in the Awesome thread.

My favorite part of that article:

OK, so he was skewered on social media after chugging a beer and saying, “Buffalo, I’m coming for ya” on a video. He wasn’t the first college freshman to make a regrettable decision.

“I was drunk. I did it,” Eichel said. “I don’t have anything to hide. The majority of people laughed about it. … Time was the biggest deal. It was one of the biggest lessons I learned. I couldn’t just be a college kid.”

Well, Jack, Buffalo was waiting for ya.