The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Talking while driving either to a passenger or to your windshield or singing along to a song on the radio has a very low risk of causing an accident. Trying to dial/ searching for a contact/ changing radio stations most definitely increases the risk of an accident.

Actually, talking to someone outside the car (on the phone, even with hands free) is much more distracting than a person inside the car.  A person outside the car doesn't know when there are times when you're on max load (like trying to make a left turn in traffic).  Someone in the car will not only know that, but can even be an extra set of eyes to help you spot hazards.

Actually, talking to someone outside the car (on the phone, even with hands free) is much more distracting than a person inside the car.  A person outside the car doesn't know when there are times when you're on max load (like trying to make a left turn in traffic).  Someone in the car will not only know that, but can even be an extra set of eyes to help you spot hazards.

Good point. There's just something qualitatively different about it, at least for me. On the few occasions I've talked on the phone while driving, I've found myself after the call a few miles down the road remembering nothing about what just happened on the road.

Mythbusters did a distracted driving bit. Talking on your phone was every bit the impairment drinking is.

To the OP question, not sure what Jack is driving but my Caddy dealer didn't let me in the vehicle without setting my bluetooth. As soon as I enter my whip all calls go through the vehicle's infotainment system.

Have to imagine who ever jack bought his luxury vehicle from, gave him the same courtesy.

I thought he bought a Jeep?  He said that was to be his first purchase.  My Jeep system blows.  I would rather use my earpeice, with voice commands.

Good point. There's just something qualitatively different about it, at least for me. On the few occasions I've talked on the phone while driving, I've found myself after the call a few miles down the road remembering nothing about what just happened on the road.

Precisely.  Now throw something unexpected out in front of you.  Are you going to recognize it in time?

Mythbusters did a distracted driving bit. Talking on your phone was every bit the impairment drinking is.

To the OP question, not sure what Jack is driving but my Caddy dealer didn't let me in the vehicle without setting my bluetooth. As soon as I enter my whip all calls go through the vehicle's infotainment system.

Have to imagine who ever jack bought his luxury vehicle from, gave him the same courtesy.

I think it to a certain degree depends on the person too. I'm really mono-tasky, so I cannot hold a conversation well and drive at the same time. It doesn't help that I tend to be a fairly focussed driver. I can listen to talk radio however and get value out of it, but if I'm expected to respond I'm hosed.

I thought he bought a Jeep?  He said that was to be his first purchase.  My Jeep system blows.  I would rather use my earpeice, with voice commands.

U Connect is the absolute worst. I wont even bother while driving the Wife's Jeep Wrangler. Ford has the best available, OnStar in my GMC is pretty good.

I can't seem to find the thread about Eichels deal with Leaf, so I guess I'll post this here.

Did anybody else at the Bills game yesterday notice the Dave and Adams ad in the program yesterday? It included a coupon for a free promotional "welcome to Buffalo" Jack Eichel card, made by Leaf. The ad claims it is his first rookie card. I only noticed it when I was already back to my car, so I only had two programs.

This I have no doubt.

But the discussion started with Bluetooth, hence my talking to the windshield comment. The difference between talking on your phone(which I also assume takes into account, holding at ones' ear, searching for numbers, and the general fiddling with it to make a call) and using your thumb on a steering wheel then the use of voice commands is not nearly the same.

Doing any thing while in heavy traffic other than paying attention to the road is impaired driving.

Again but, using Bluetooth while stuck in a traffic jam or if I have the cruise set on the highway and just sitting in the driving lane, I have more of a chance of being a distracted driver by having day dreams than talking to someone. 

Edited by Woods-Racer

This I have no doubt.

But the discussion started with Bluetooth, hence my talking to the windshield comment. The difference between talking on your phone(which I also assume takes into account, holding at ones' ear, searching for numbers, and the general fiddling with it to make a call) and using your thumb on a steering wheel then the use of voice commands is not nearly the same.

Doing any thing while in heavy traffic other than paying attention to the road is impaired driving.

Again but, using Bluetooth while stuck in a traffic jam or if I have the cruise set on the highway and just sitting in the driving lane, I have more of a chance of being a distracted driver by having day dreams than talking to someone. 

Too lazy to look, but I've seen studies indicating that yes, even when using hands free devices, talking on a cell phone is every bit as likely to result in an accident as drinking and driving.

And like someone mentioned upthread, when I've done it I've noticed afterward how little I can recall of the road and what happened around me while I was talking on the phone.  There is something all consuming about it.

I think it to a certain degree depends on the person too. I'm really mono-tasky, so I cannot hold a conversation well and drive at the same time. It doesn't help that I tend to be a fairly focussed driver. I can listen to talk radio however and get value out of it, but if I'm expected to respond I'm hosed.

Strange as it may be, studies show that texting while talking on the phone and eating a breakfast sandwich actually increases the drivers awareness of his surroundings.

Greg Rajanen of NHL Central Scouting said he believes that Eichel and Matthews are power forwards with their own unique styles of creating offensive opportunities.

"My opinion is that Eichel is a two-way power forward who can produce points, and Matthews is a two-way skilled forward who can produce points," Rajanen said. "Both are high-end players."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=42024&navid=nhl:topheads

Greg Rajanen of NHL Central Scouting said he believes that Eichel and Matthews are power forwards with their own unique styles of creating offensive opportunities.

"My opinion is that Eichel is a two-way power forward who can produce points, and Matthews is a two-way skilled forward who can produce points," Rajanen said. "Both are high-end players."

Eichel is just faster and smarter than Matthews IMO. Matthews is bigger, with better quickness and stick-work, but he can't top Eichel in a sprint, or when entering the zone

genius

His Dad would not buy tickets to the FLA Game until the day of, in case he did not make the team

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/10/19/jack-eichel-buffalo-sabres-father-influence

Everything the roaring First Niagara Center crowd saw and loved had incubated in North Chelmsford with Bob as the closest witness. He was there standing on the frozen pond at Roberts Field, the one with the NHL-sized nets near the local fire station, when five-year-old Jack begged to stay 15 more minutes and skate in sub-zero weather. He was there to drive Jack home from birthday parties, because while everyone else was sleeping over, Jack wanted rest for his hockey game the next morning. He was there when Jack started doing pushups in the morning before middle school and a friend, a high school coach, called Bob’s son’s skills “trick photography” because he was ready to play with 18-year-olds at age 11. He was there on those late nights at home, sitting in the living room watching the Red Sox when Jack walked through the front door and headed straight for the basement, the sound of thudding pucks soon rising through the ceiling and into the kitchen.

“From the day I was born, the only thing I wanted to do was play in the NHL,” Jack says. “I wasn’t going to let anything stop me or anyone stop me, and I give my dad a lot of credit for always being there for me, always sticking by my side, showing me the ropes of work and work ethic and how to strive for something.”

Edited by BRAWNDO

• 2 weeks later...