The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Well said Aud.  And if I was at all competent with video editing, I would have a new montage with that as the background song. 

Start with Drury and Briere leaving, go to Lucic hit, Pommers traded, Ruff fired,  Regier Fired, Miller traded than start highlights of Risto, Ennis, Zemgus, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane trade in there.  Finish with a playoff montage of days of old with shots of the new players spliced in and the final shot Jack Eichel in a Sabres draft jersey.

Wasn't I suppose to be the woose?  All year I was afraid the Sabres would blow it.  Now I'm as confident as anything Eichel will be in the Blue and gold next season.  We have a decade plus of watchable Sabres hockey.  It's going to be one fun hell of a ride.

Good man :thumbsup:

The "because Buffalo" attitude should have ended the moment we secured 30th. Alas, apparently some people's pessimism is more deeply rooted inside them :p

Start with Drury and Briere leaving, go to Lucic hit, Pommers traded, Ruff fired,  Regier Fired, Miller traded than start highlights of Risto, Ennis, Zemgus, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane trade in there.  Finish with a playoff montage of days of old with shots of the new players spliced in and the final shot Jack Eichel in a Sabres draft jersey.

Yes.  I like it.

Good man :thumbsup:

The "because Buffalo" attitude should have ended the moment we secured 30th. Alas, apparently some people's pessimism is more deeply rooted inside them :P

Yep.  I thought we were going to collapse at the end.  I was wrong and now I'm going with the why not us attitude.

Call me a Buffalo sports pessimist, but I'll be happy only when I see him in a Sabres uniform.  For that to happen he needs to actually be drafted by the Sabres (not yet a done deal), and he needs to leave BU.  Who knows what maneuvering there will be before the draft, or what Eichel is thinking about in terms of staying at BU or not?

The only way he doesn't end up drafted by the Sabres is if the Eulers pass on McDavid. Could that happen because the Sabres broke the bank to flip spots? Possibly, but extremely unlikely as the cost to flip will be very high.

Since the lottery, I just don't see a plausible scenario where the Sabres don't end up w/ Eichel. My gut feel is that compared to McDavid's Gretzky, he'll be a Lemieux/Lindros. If he's proportionately Lemieux, there's no way you give up more than a draft pick to move up and if he's proportionately Lindros, you don't break the bank to swap either. Neither scenario sounds like enough to grt Chiarelli to flip picks.

Rather than worry about whether we see him in b&g, who will his RW be? Ennis, Girgensons (out of position), traded guy, offer sheet guy, or off the board w/ Gionta or an out of position Moulson or Grigorenko? That's the interesting Q.

The only way he doesn't end up drafted by the Sabres is if the Eulers pass on McDavid. Could that happen because the Sabres broke the bank to flip spots? Possibly, but extremely unlikely as the cost to flip will be very high.

Since the lottery, I just don't see a plausible scenario where the Sabres don't end up w/ Eichel. My gut feel is that compared to McDavid's Gretzky, he'll be a Lemieux/Lindros. If he's proportionately Lemieux, there's no way you give up more than a draft pick to move up and if he's proportionately Lindros, you don't break the bank to swap either. Neither scenario sounds like enough to grt Chiarelli to flip picks.

Rather than worry about whether we see him in b&g, who will his RW be? Ennis, Girgensons (out of position), traded guy, offer sheet guy, or off the board w/ Gionta or an out of position Moulson or Grigorenko? That's the interesting Q.

Give me a top 6 of:

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Reinart - Girgensons

I know it's two rookie centres but these are the faces of the franchise moving forward.  There's no real pressure to make the playoffs next year so why not spend the year breaking them both in?  Look for improvement and then we're ready to start flying in 16/17?

Give me a top 6 of:

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Reinart - Girgensons

I know it's two rookie centres but these are the faces of the franchise moving forward.  There's no real pressure to make the playoffs next year so why not spend the year breaking them both in?  Look for improvement and then we're ready to start flying in 16/17?

I'm down with this, but I'd have Zemgus center or play wing on the third line with Larsson, and try Grigo in that spot with Reinhart. Like I posted elsewhere, he liked the idea of playing wing with Reinhart, so why not give him a shot? Plus a Larsson-Zemgus-Foligno third line would be a nightmare for a lot of team's first line.

Ding ding ding!

That's what I'm expecting right now, but it's intriguing whether TM will sit with what he has, go for the ST upgrade, or go w/ the LT upgrade knowing Fasching & Baptiste (wow does that kid have a cannon) are coming down the pike.

And if he's Lindros, you encase his head in bubble wrap.

Call me a Buffalo sports pessimist, but I'll be happy only when I see him in a Sabres uniform.  For that to happen he needs to actually be drafted by the Sabres (not yet a done deal), and he needs to leave BU.  Who knows what maneuvering there will be before the draft, or what Eichel is thinking about in terms of staying at BU or not?

You are so correct.  It's Buffalo.  You never know what might happen.  Edmonton could draft him first right out from under the us.

I'd say there is a 99% chance he is the Sabres pick and 95% chance he declares after having a sit down with TM and TP.  I'm not letting those small percentages deter my enthusiasm.  I'm also very pumped for Reinhart next year.

:flirt:

While I look forward to Eichel starting for the Sabres, hopefully next year, the team can be potentially far better off in the long term if he stays in school.  It would allow each of the Sabres young centers to play "up" a line, giving Samson a year as #1 to see what he can bring when he plays with the best.  It would also allow more time to see where Girgs, Grigo and Larsson belong (which line, and who might be moved to a wing).  Sort all that out next year perhaps and then bring in JFE ((Jack F-n' Eichel) as the final ingredient to make a playoff run.

Alas, apparently some people's pessimism is more deeply rooted inside them :P

Look at my signature and it will become clear why.

While I look forward to Eichel starting for the Sabres, hopefully next year, the team can be potentially far better off in the long term if he stays in school.  It would allow each of the Sabres young centers to play "up" a line, giving Samson a year as #1 to see what he can bring when he plays with the best.  It would also allow more time to see where Girgs, Grigo and Larsson belong (which line, and who might be moved to a wing).  Sort all that out next year perhaps and then bring in JFE ((Jack F-n' Eichel) as the final ingredient to make a playoff run.

Based on what I've seen this year, theres absolutely no way SR is the #1 center next year,

This not necessarily a bad way to go. But the incessant TP and TM bashing for continuing the tank,regardless of the reality, will make this place unbearable.

I disagree with this.  Young guys develop better when they're playing in sheltered roles.  I want to put Grigo, Larsson, and Reinhart in a position to succeed, not throw them out there to get slaughtered by the other team's top lines/pairings.  I also think it'd be better long term if Eichel plays in the NHL next year and starts developing his game with the big boys.  He's dominated college hockey, no reason to go back.

I still agree that one under 20 center is enough to start the season. What a glorious and wonderful thing having 2 top 2 picks at center and debating how they should be used. It's good to be a Sabres fan again.

While I look forward to Eichel starting for the Sabres, hopefully next year, the team can be potentially far better off in the long term if he stays in school. It would allow each of the Sabres young centers to play "up" a line, giving Samson a year as #1 to see what he can bring when he plays with the best. It would also allow more time to see where Girgs, Grigo and Larsson belong (which line, and who might be moved to a wing). Sort all that out next year perhaps and then bring in JFE ((Jack F-n' Eichel) as the final ingredient to make a playoff run.

I think the Sabres are much better served in 2016 if Eichel is a sophomore than if he's a rookie. I think this is true regardless of what it means for the development of Reinhart or any other individual player.