The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Good stuff here boys. I appreciate the optimism. Here's my question though: why would Babcock do a side-by-side interview with Holland if he wasn't going to stay? Why put himself and Holland through that awkward situation?

People gave LeBron crap for being on ESPN to state his decision and he was the best player in 2 decades in a major sport. I agree...why a 20 minute interview for an indecisive babble?

I think this may be a bit of a stretch. Pegula is never comfortable in front of the media, some people are just camera shy.

Why do the interview, then? And, when you're uncomfortable in front of a camera, or in any public-speaking type situation, normally you're going to lock on to something comfortable and familiar. He had Babs there the whole time and only looked at him once, maybe twice.

GoDD has made a good presentation on Disco Dan. If Babs doesn't come our way, I think Disco Dan would be the crazy, Hunter S. Thompson-esque move. That would rock in its own way.

GoDD has made a good presentation on Disco Dan. If Babs doesn't come our way, I think Disco Dan would be the crazy, Hunter S. Thompson-esque move. That would rock in its own way.

I still don't know how it's crazy. He's the best guy out there. I think some GM's are turned off because he thinks too fast and works too hard. I think that's why X figures he'd be better for vets, and I sort of agree. He has had more success than anybody in his time coaching by almost any measure.

Tim Murray was the Director of Pro Player Personnel when Bylsma was a player for Anaheim....so Murray knows him, at least as a player.

Who knows....Bylsma could have made fun of Ted Black when they were in Pitt together and Ted told Terry he is the devil.

I see no reason to even think of Richardson when you can get the guy Richardson can only hope to be if he is a total home run.

It struck me while I was watching the interview that Holland is letting Babcock test the waters early not only because it will end Babwatch as early as possible, but also, and perhaps mainly, as a play against Babcock. By letting him look, he is, in effect, saying "go ahead Babs, take a look around and see how good you have it."

I think it's more an effort to let Babcock find out how much he's really worth before he's able to sign, giving the Wings the opportunity to make a better offer or choose to pass, all while he's still under contract to Wings. It gives the Wings the upper hand.

Holland knows Babcock - and Babcock's family - well. I bet he knows, or thinks he knows, all of the right buttons to push. I think this interview is part of that play.

That may or may not be overstating it. Professionally they've worked together for 10 years, but you don't know how much he knows about Babcock's personal life.

And, I'm going to surmise, but I would say that maybe part of Holland's obvious discomfort, and Babcock's steady confidence, during this interview, indicates that Holland may have gambled incorrectly with his play against Babcock.

Holland was trying to sell the situation to Babcock even during that interview.

I think money is an issue here, I think part of the play may have been to get Babcock to stay and give Detroit a little home-town discount, although still expecting to pay more.

I wonder if Babcock, with all of the "car time" they had, revealed to Holland what he likes about, oh, say Buffalo, and how much Pegula may have offered. Hence, uncomfortable Holland on camera.

I could be way off, too.

That's some pretty deep speculation there.

Just filling in the gaps in the storyline until we know the final outcome. Isn't that what the interwebz are for?

I have a new spin on this, and I would say this would keep Babcock in Detroit.

His dad just died a month ago. Babcock said he talked to his dad every day after practice or a game, and he was a huge Red Wings fan.

If he's already concerned about uprooting his family and if it is the right thing, wouldn't just having your dad pass focus you even more on family? Even more, if you are a tough guy, even if you were thinking change might be a good thing, wouldn't you question if you were running away from all the things that were important to him?

As if there wasn't enough history already, you can throw in some guilt.

I have a new spin on this, and I would say this would keep Babcock in Detroit.

His dad just died a month ago. Babcock said he talked to his dad every day after practice or a game, and he was a huge Red Wings fan.

If he's already concerned about uprooting his family and if it is the right thing, wouldn't just having your dad pass focus you even more on family? Even more, if you are a tough guy, even if you were thinking change might be a good thing, wouldn't you question if you were running away from all the things that were important to him?

As if there wasn't enough history already, you can throw in some guilt.

or it could work the other way, Dad passing lifts the guilt and need to stay in Detroit.?

Good stuff here boys. I appreciate the optimism. Here's my question though: why would Babcock do a side-by-side interview with Holland if he wasn't going to stay? Why put himself and Holland through that awkward situation?

A question for a question: if it was that simple, why hasn't he signed a new contract yet?

If babcock re-signs with the wings it will be for comfortability over the chance to win. The red wings may continue to "win" in the sense of making the playoffs but they are in no shape to be competing with the big guns in the west. Not saying that he will win with the sabres but if I were to lay down a bet, I'd say the sabres win a cup before the wings do.

I personally think Babcock, more likely his agent, is exploiting Detroit. I can only imagine the angst on Detroit's msg boards. Do we really want a guy who can't make up his mind? It's not like he just started thinking about this. This decision and opportunity didn't come out of the blue.

I would be thrilled to have him, but after a week of shenanigans, I'm growing weary.

Rex Ryan said yes before he even knew the dollars involved. That's the commitment I'm looking for in a coach.

I personally think Babcock, more likely his agent, is exploiting Detroit. I can only imagine the angst on Detroit's msg boards. Do we really want a guy who can't make up his mind? It's not like he just started thinking about this. This decision and opportunity didn't come out of the blue.

I would be thrilled to have him, but after a week of shenanigans, I'm growing weary.

Rex Ryan said yes before he even knew the dollars involved. That's the commitment I'm looking for in a coach.

First I'll say I love the Rex hire, but...

Your comparing apples and oranges.

Rex was jobless and hoping for another gig, probably going to get one, but no guaranty and the Bills are a great fit, if not the best for him. 

Babcock is the most sought after coaching commodity in hockey, maybe for this year in N. American sports. He can shop and get wined and dined by at least 4 teams of hockey crazed cities, and because he can he should and is doing it. Let him take his time, let GM and owners sweat a bit, he may never get this chance again in his life.

Worst thing to ever have to say is "I should of done while I had the chance"....

Edited by Woods-Racer

First I'll say I love the Rex hire, but...

Your comparing apples and oranges.

Rex was jobless and hoping for another gig, probably going to get one, but no guaranty and the Bills are a great fit, if not the best for him

Where do you get that? Everything I've seen Rex looks as happy as a pig in poop. The Bills look like a great fit for Rex.

Maybe I'm girding myself for the inevitable letdown, but, after trying to keep an open mind, I'm kind of done with Babcock. He comes off a little too diva-like.

“I’ve said this before: There’s not a better job. There’s a different job,” Babcock said. “So you’ve got to be careful.”

How to read that? Maybe: he knows how good he has it in Detroit with Holland and ownership and he knows his compensation is going to go up. What does, say, Buffalo really offer? It's a different job, not a better one, despite the extra millions Terry might kick in over the course of the contract.

Here, the different job is one he wants to be careful about. It's still a major build. We overvalue our kids; Babcock won't. This is where the diva comes in. He's said it in too many ways. He wants the almost-perfect spot where he can keep winning (instant gratification). Is he insecure about his coaching abilities or just being realistic about how coaching can't overcome a talent deficiency? He'll stay in Detroit because he knows that's his best shot of winning in the short term. They may be getting a little long in the tooth, but it's not like that franchise is going to just fall on hard times.

He's not up to doing the hard, dirty work in Buffalo? Fine. Let's move on.

If this interview took place with our coach and gm we would probably want to run them both out of town. I am actually shocked that Holland would go that route. If I am Holland, with his track record, I tell Babcock if your not sure you want to be the coach of the Detroit Red Wings then we don't need you. This is our offer.... you have until ?? to decide. End of story.

The more this drags out the more I want Disco Dan.

If this interview took place with our coach and gm we would probably want to run them both out of town. I am actually shocked that Holland would go that route. If I am Holland, with his track record, I tell Babcock if your not sure you want to be the coach of the Detroit Red Wings then we don't need you. This is our offer.... you have until ?? to decide. End of story.

The more this drags out the more I want Disco Dan.

That's kind of what they did.

This whole thing is just kinda weird.

You mean the whole thing and not just the interview? I do find the whole thing kinda weird. I think he stays in Detroit and we're all left to wonder, "What was that all about?"

I kinda agree with you.  He may be the best coach in Hockey...but I don't think there is a big difference between him and the #3 or #5 guys.  Between him and Nolan? Maybe, but not between him and the rest of the top guys.  

I also personally go by the line of wanting a guy who wants to be here. If you have to convince, talk to, wine-and-dine, and then wait it out...the guy MIGHT eventually be happy here, but I'd rather have a guy who is happy and grateful for the opportunity.  

So would I be happy if Babcock is hired?  Even at 5-6 million a year? Sure, I'd much rather overpay for a coach than to overpay for a player like Ryan O'Rielly (that will count against your cap and EVENTUALLY make it harder to resign other guys).....but I'd be just as happy with the next John Cooper...give me a younger guy who is up-and-coming and well respected.  Give me the next star coach...not the current one who is already half way (or more) through their career.

I agree with some others here that the whole Babcock thing is kind of strange.  I think there are other guys that could coach a team to winning the Cup not just Babcock.  I'm not sure Babcock's chances are any better than any of the other top candidates.  So much depends on luck and circumstances to win it all.  If Babcock does get hired here, great.  If he doesn't, no big deal the Sabres just pick their next best candidate and let's get him hired.  Until Babcock decides or doesn't I'm just as interested in who their number 2 candidate is.

If we don't end up with Babcock, which I'm still 100% for, I want Blashill next. He's benefitted from the Red Wings theory of pushing prospects through the AHL first but those prospects have all benefitted from him. He has been doing a great job coaching them up. I think he's ready for the next step.

My list, if McClellan isn't an option, is:

1. Babcock

2. Blashill

3. Richardson

4. Bylsma