The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

It's crap like this that will earn you that troll reputation.

Could you imagine a press conference with him?

Reporter: "Pierre, what are your thoughts on signing UFA X?"

Pierre: "I'll tell you, UFA X has everything it takes, you know he's a product of the Saskatoon Ice Fishers back when he was 13-14. he was coached by Jimmy Twosticks who also coached Player X. They shared a room together on a trip to Edmonton one year. They really hit it off. But it he really took off when he spent time in the Kelowna Rockets hwere he played minutes with Player Y. Those two brought it like you wouldn't believe and their coach was Gord Hockey who had tremendous influence over him. You know Gord influenced a lot of players from his time coaching under Ian Faceoff at Moncton back in the 80's and playing for Coach Dale Icing in the 70's while they were in St. Brunswick."

That will never be topped. Not even by Pierre himself.

I am shocked nobody has said this. I guess everyone was watching the NBC feed during the lottery, but on HNIC, Friedman and company said that Peter Deboer was the leading candidate for the Sabres. He almost got hired in Ottawa by the Murrays and is a great fit.

I looked at the CBC site and can't find it, but it was on at 8PM saturday.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

I am shocked nobody has said this. I guess everyone was watching the NBC feed during the lottery, but on HNIC, Friedman and company said that Peter Deboer was the leading candidate for the Sabres. He almost got hired in Ottawa by the Murrays and is a great fit.

I looked at the CBC site and can't find it, but it was on at 8PM saturday.

Sounds more like Peter Deboering Edited by inkman

If he's at all inclined to implement a trap system, I'm not a fan

He did trap in New Jersey...you pretty much have too. But he also was a master of line changes and totally revamped the Devils power play and penalty kill. They started scoring nearly a goal more a game.

He actually didn't do a bad job in Florida. I think he had less talent on those teams than Buffalo currently has. 

If it isn't Babcock, I'd be very happy with the choice of Deboer. 

I'll spit tacks if they hire DeBoer. From perusing the Devils forums back in the day, he had a horrible rep for working with young players and giving them opportunity (see: Larsson, Adam).

I have no idea because I haven't seen enough of his teams that mattered. I was just surprised how quiet it was that it was said. Even on Twitter only a few people made mention. I guess it doesn't mean he will be, but it seemed like it was a close call for the Sens job and Murray knows his worth.

I'll spit tacks if they hire DeBoer. From perusing the Devils forums back in the day, he had a horrible rep for working with young players and giving them opportunity (see: Larsson, Adam).

I really think he'd be the perfect coach for Buffalo. It's a mistake to think of him as just a  "trap" coach.  I far prefer him to McClennan .....after Babcock he'd be my 2nd choice. He really is an excellent hockey mind.  

If true about the young players that is concerning. However, he certainly has the experience in the NHL that a guy like Richardson would not. And the teams he had were lacking in talent but still were relatively successful.

If true about the young players that is concerning. However, he certainly has the experience in the NHL that a guy like Richardson would not. And the teams he had were lacking in talent but still were relatively successful.

Not picking on you in particular but I hate this argument.  The NHL and the NFL and probably ever league in the US has this dumb habit of preferring failed coaches with experience to finding the next up and coming guy.  

Not picking on you in particular but I hate this argument.  The NHL and the NFL and probably ever league in the US has this dumb habit of preferring failed coaches with experience to finding the next up and coming guy.  

Oh I agree, I hate it too. The experience argument usually just means that you have failed at this job before, since most "experienced" head coaches are bad enough to get fired once or twice.

I am kind of rooting for a new name with a chance to be great.

Oh I agree, I hate it too. The experience argument usually just means that you have failed at this job before, since most "experienced" head coaches are bad enough to get fired once or twice.

I am kind of rooting for a new name with a chance to be great.

Yea, like a college or AHL guy with a good supporting staff. 

I really think he'd be the perfect coach for Buffalo. It's a mistake to think of him as just a "trap" coach. I far prefer him to McClennan .....after Babcock he'd be my 2nd choice. He really is an excellent hockey mind.

It's not the trap that bothers me (well it does, but it's secondary in this case). What I'm worried about is how unwilling he was to give young players opportunities and let them play through their mistakes. No matter who gets the job, they must be on board with the development of the youth and not just sit in "win now" mode.

So, you're going with the Ted Nolan excuse? :P

That he was just doing what the organization wanted?

It's not the trap that bothers me (well it does, but it's secondary in this case). What I'm worried about is how unwilling he was to give young players opportunities and let them play through their mistakes. No matter who gets the job, they must be on board with the development of the youth and not just sit in "win now" mode.

True this.

Was there a general issue in Jersey, or was it just Larsson? That team isn't exactly overflowing with young talent.

I don't recall this being an issue in Florida.

at least they took a chance. RR was horrible but it was outside the box.  

Rolston was not outside the box...they didn't even interview anyone else FFS!

I'm with TrueBlue on this one. Rolston was a "screw it lets just promote the AHL guy" move. If we're going to go the AHL coach route, it should be a from an established track record of success in that league. Someone who is innovative and has some fresh ideas.

That he was just doing what the organization wanted?

True this.

Was there a general issue in Jersey, or was it just Larsson? That team isn't exactly overflowing with young talent.

I don't recall this being an issue in Florida.

Larsson stood out because of how highly touted he was (and he's actually been growing since DeBoer was canned). I also remember Josefsen's playing time being an issue when people still thought he would be good and there was another I can't remember.

I'd be worried about that aspect, too. A coach who is so insecure that he can't tolerate youthful gaffes because he's too worried about the W column isn't a coach I'd prefer. 

GO SABRES!!!