The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

The Sabres best young prospects are either with the big club, in the juniors , or in college. It's an in-between season for Rochester.

While there are a number of good prospects in juniors or college, there were still a fair number of very good prospects in Rochester this year...Grigs, Armia(before he was traded), Pysyk, McCabe & Makarov(maybe one or two others I am forgetting).  

I am not sure why the poor results this year, but it may even be a tougher year if Pysyk and McCabe move up in the fall.  That leaves the blueline pretty bare except for the couple AHL vets they can sign per league rules.

I'm surprised Cassidy survived the year.  I wonder if he makes it through the summer?

I'm still confused each time I see Makarov listed as a good prospect. No matter what is said about him around here, the kid's a long shot. He wasn't going to be high on any scout's list of reasons for a trip to see an Amerks game.

Marty Biron didn't even mention him when they were talking with him about goalies this morning on WGR. He really likes Ullmark and believes in developing goalies instead of bringing them in from the outside.

While there are a number of good prospects in juniors or college, there were still a fair number of very good prospects in Rochester this year...Grigs, Armia(before he was traded), Pysyk, McCabe & Makarov(maybe one or two others I am forgetting).  

I am not sure why the poor results this year, but it may even be a tougher year if Pysyk and McCabe move up in the fall.  That leaves the blueline pretty bare except for the couple AHL vets they can sign per league rules.

I'm surprised Cassidy survived the year.  I wonder if he makes it through the summer?

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that the Amerks still have a couple of games left. I'm betting they clean house in Rochester at the end of their season, too. Then people can give more reasons about how GMTM is a mean man for firing them.

A huge stretch to justify your opinion that Nolan is a good coach at the NHL level, too. 

Which is cool. I just won't ever agree that he is. 

GO SABRES!!!

My apologies, I stupidly thought you were heading in another direction.

Well, Nolan did coach two NHL teams with some, although limited, talent to the playoffs.  That said, his coaching stints in the NHL were not long enough to really tell what he could do, or if he was a good coach, or not.

I really wish that at the end of this poop fest of a season he had been given a chance, but he wasn't.

All I have to say is that the coach that Murray hires better be good and get results (a cup eventually), or I will always lament what might have been with Nolan as coach of a much better roster.

Marty Biron didn't even mention him when they were talking with him about goalies this morning on WGR. He really likes Ullmark and believes in developing goalies instead of bringing them in from the outside.

Marty's thought is all well and good, but there's a time and a place for both.  We're clearly in the spot where we need to bring in someone from outside, if for no other reason than to bridge the gap until one of those kids is ready.

Did he mention Ullmark is having double hip surgery and is now out 4-6months?  Seriously I am pissed about this but he should be fine.  Ullmark is a damn good gt. 

Did he mention Ullmark is having double hip surgery and is now out 4-6months?  Seriously I am pissed about this but he should be fine.  Ullmark is a damn good gt. 

Double hip surgery? What, is he a geriatric? Where's Ghost when you need a medical diagnosis and prognosis for a player based on a horse's anatomy?

GO SABRES!!!

Double hip surgery? What, is he a geriatric? Where's Ghost when you need a medical diagnosis and prognosis for a player based on a horse's anatomy?

GO SABRES!!!

Not good news; should be ok. RT @aalexnil @SabresProspects Double hip operation for Ullmark. 4-6 months of rehab. http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/shl/ullmark-kan-tvingas-till-jatteoperation/ 

The Sabres prospects have been evaluated by several media outlets as being one of the best, if not the best, in the NHL.  I think most of those are still in college or juniors and not necessarily in the AHL.  My concern is the lack of prospects that are evaluated as top line talent.  There's alot of prospects projected as 2nd or 3rd line players in the NHL but only a couple currently are projected to have the ability to play on the top line at the NHL level.

Reinhart may be the best drafted prospect not in the NHL. Risto and Zads have first pairing potential.

And McEichel is coming. So, no longer really an issue.

Is this feeling based on factual evidence, or just a sense that no Buffalo team can be good at anything?

I can see it being a perception from the standpoint that the NHL team is so young, there can't be much left on the farm.

GO SABRES!!!

I read somewhere that some/many GTs have pre-emptive surgery on their hips, could this be that (or "they're starting to bother me so might as well get it over with"). This is from 2011 and only mentions the surgery in passing towards the end:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/butterfly-and-hip-injuries-backstrom-back-to-surgeon/