The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

The Sabres are going to bring in a veteran coach, one with teeth and a resume that screams stanley cup contender.

The top two choices will be Babcock and Bylsma.

Both have cups on their resume and will be high profile. Babcock is the leader due to his past working relationship with Murray and Murray's need for the next head coach to "get him". Plus Babcock's resume is the best of anyone out there.

Getting Babcock would be a coup for this team. Babcock would bring a cup to Buffalo within 3 years. This team would also be a hot sport for FAs and on national TV all the time.

Bylsma would bring almost the same result.

I think the fall back plan would be Richardson. As much as the press plays out the Richardson/Murray connection, Murray has to get this one right. Richardson has no NHL coaching experience, and Murray has already made it clear this is a can't mess up hire on his part. There is too much at stake to have an AHL coach come in and lead a teamwho really needs a guy who the player will instantly respect.

Richardson is not that guy. But I think as a last resort he would go there if he couldn't find a veteran HC that he could hang the hopes of a stanley cup on.

..and word is the Maple Leafs situation is a mess that many coaches may steer clear away from. I mean, they have serious cap issues, lack of defense, an elephant in the room in Dion Phaneufs contract, and their farm system is mediocre.

The Sabres on the other hand have a billionaire owner, top rated facility, money to pay a top coach, and arguably the best farm system in the league that is only going to get stronger with either McDavid or Eichel and two additional picks in the top 32 in one of the strongest draft classes in recent history.

Yeah, I say we have the edge. LOL

Am I the only that does not see a great farm system here? It may turn out to be ok but I think it is far from the best.

I have this weird feeling he's our man.

hockeyface.gif

God no, please for the love of Christ do not tell me that Claude Julien is your pick.  The man is a moron.  I would rather hire a coach in the Q, WHL or OHL like Jay McKee.  His talent has bailed out his atrocious system and made him look like a genius.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

I have this weird feeling he's our man.

hockeyface.gif

I'd rather cut off my d*** and feed it to Lucic, Chara, and Marchand than have this douchebag as a coach.

There's low, and then there's "no coming back from the evil that resides in us now" low. Julien is the evil that lurks under your bed as a child, haunts your worst nightmares as an adult. He's the devil in a suit coat and tie.

I'd rather cut off my d*** and feed it to Lucic, Chara, and Marchand than have this douchebag as a coach.

There's low, and then there's "no coming back from the evil that resides in us now" low. Julien is the evil that lurks under your bed as a child, haunts your worst nightmares as an adult. He's the devil in a suit coat and tie.

I've never been the biggest fan of Julien. But you can't argue with his results playing heavy hockey. 

I've never liked Bylsma rather it be due to the whole Olympics mess or his inability to win a 2nd Cup with the All Star team he had, I've just never liked him.

Babcock by far would be an awesome coach, and I agree somewhat with dej in that he'd likely get us to a Finals by Year 3. And even next year we'd likely hang around until the end or squeak in potentially.

McLellan would be tied with Tippet as my 2nd choice after Babcock, both have had a lot of successful seasons and have merely been unable to get too far in the playoffs. 

Julien, I'm on the fence with because I can't tell if he's helping prop up the Bruins aging roster or are they propping him up. 

I've never liked Bylsma rather it be due to the whole Olympics mess or his inability to win a 2nd Cup with the All Star team he had, I've just never liked him.

Babcock by far would be an awesome coach, and I agree somewhat with dej in that he'd likely get us to a Finals by Year 3. And even next year we'd likely hang around until the end or squeak in potentially.

I can't help but notice something when reading these thoughts on Bylsma and Babcock.  How many cups has Babcock won?

Am I the only that does not see a great farm system here? It may turn out to be ok but I think it is far from the best.

The farm team was terrible this year. 

The thought is that with all the extra picks over a four year span that will change.

And, of course a lot of the farm team was playing in the NHL.

That probably rules out Darryl Sutter then.

:w00t:

The farm team was terrible this year. 

The thought is that with all the extra picks over a four year span that will change.

And, of course a lot of the farm team was playing in the NHL.

:w00t:

The Sabres best young prospects are either with the big club, in the juniors , or in college. It's an in-between season for Rochester.

The Sabres best young prospects are either with the big club, in the juniors , or in college. It's an in-between season for Rochester.

They do get a nice little infusion next year with Baptiste, Bailey, maybe the Swedes, and any of the college kids who may decide to sign (not that I expect them too).  I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two shake up what will be headed to Rochester next year too.

Tod Mclellan "If he leaves Detroit, I don't think he goes to Toronto. If, IF, he leaves Detroit, he wants to go somewhere with 5-6 solid players where he can win for awhile"

:flirt:

Edited by WildCard

The Sabres prospects have been evaluated by several media outlets as being one of the best, if not the best, in the NHL.  I think most of those are still in college or juniors and not necessarily in the AHL.  My concern is the lack of prospects that are evaluated as top line talent.  There's alot of prospects projected as 2nd or 3rd line players in the NHL but only a couple currently are projected to have the ability to play on the top line at the NHL level.

They do get a nice little infusion next year with Baptiste, Bailey, maybe the Swedes, and any of the college kids who may decide to sign (not that I expect them too).  I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two shake up what will be headed to Rochester next year too.

Bailey is having a nice post season with the Greyhounds of Sault Ste Marie. Nice to see. 

GO SABRES!!!

Bailey is having a nice post season with the Greyhounds of Sault Ste Marie. Nice to see. 

GO SABRES!!!

That's Ted Nolan's old team.

Coached them for 6, or 7, seasons.  Three consecutive Memorial Cup appearances and one Championship.

He also coached Moncton to a birth in the Memorial Cup final (Moncton was host) after his time in the Sault.  He left Moncton after there were stories of possible racism.

So, he is a good coach on some level.

-----

I hope this does not come across as snarky ... not my intention.

=====

EDIT:  The racism is in fact true ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nolan

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

That's Ted Nolan's old team.

Coached them for 6, or 7, seasons.  Three consecutive Memorial Cup appearances and one Championship.

He also coached Moncton to a birth in the Memorial Cup final (Moncton was host) after his time in the Sault.  He left Moncton after there were stories of possible racism.

So, he is a good coach on some level.

-----

I hope this does not come across as snarky ... not my intention.

Doesn't come across as snarky at all. It does come across as something else entirely, though. 

GO SABRES!!!