The Reasons to Hate Tim Murray Thread

MBHockey13

OK - for the record, I still LOVE GMTM. I think he's made some smart decisions, I love his press conferences and his attitude, I love what he did at the mike at the draft last year, and I think he truly has us moving in the right direction.

I truly believe he's going to bring in the right coach, and he has some tricks up his sleeve similar to how he made the Myers and Stafford etc. for Bogo and Kane etc. trade. At the time, I was upset about Myers and Lemieux, and also losing that third 1st, but now I get it. With the draft picks and prospect pool we have, plus some of the great young players already on the Sabres, I couldn't be more excited.

However, after the Nolan firing, I'm seeing more Murray hate than I've ever expected. One female friend of mine claims she has hated him since he only said "The Buffalo Sabres Select Sam Reinhart" at the draft. One guy has threatened to leave as a fan until Nolan is fired, and another keeps saying he's becoming a Panthers fan (though I think he's crying wolf again). There are a lot more like them.

I don't get it. Murray has been here just over a year. The Tank was in full swing when he got here. He inherited most of this mess. He's made some moves, but it's insane to think if they had brought in another GM last year, we'd be close to popping the corks on a Stanley Cup.

So, I've struggled to come up with a list of all the ways people hate Tim Murray and blame him for this mess. Why would anyone want him fired already?

Anyway, here is what I have come up with so far. Again, this is NOT my list, because I like Tim Murray.

1. He fired Ted Nolan after giving him a bad team

2. He gave Ted Nolan a three year contract even though he didn't hire him

3, Pat LaFontaine left

4. He didn't draft Sam Bennett/Leon Draisaitl/Other

5. He got us #30 last year

6. He got us #30 this year

7. He almost didn't get us #30 this year

8. He didn't fire Ted Nolan earlier

9. He didn't made a nice polite long winded introduction at last year's draft

10. Pegula hired him

11. He's too direct

12. He's too evasive

13. He traded away Ryan Miller

14. He traded away Steve Ott

15. He traded away Tyler Myers

16. He brought in Evander Kane and paid too much

17. He brought in Mez and Benoit

18. He didn't get enough for (fill in blank)

19. He didn't bring in enough quality free agents in the off-season to try to maybe improve more than 41 points and possibly get that last playoff spot

20. He lied about not wanting 30th

21. He didn't get along with Ted Nolan and we know that can't be Nolan's fault

22. He looks nerdy with those glasses

23. He kept trading away awesome goalies instead of trying to resign them

24. He didn't make the Amerks competitive enough

25. He's not Darcy

26. He said weird things about liking McDavid too much and he spent too much time scouting Erie

27. I don't like that he drafted (blank) in the (blank) round instead of (blank)

28. He didn't call up (blank) instead of (blank)

I can't think of anymore. Did I miss one?

1. He wasn't able to appreciate Nolan's system.

2. He wasn't able to appreciate Nolan's approach to teaching compete to the kids.

3. He said he prefers Canadian players.

4. He's prejudiced against non-giant goalies.

5. He takes more unnecessary trips than Obama.

6. We don't know if he's committed to Buffalo and still may leave to replace his uncle in Ottawa.

Woah, sizzle.  I thought you changed your name to McEichelcock.  I guess that was a different angry Babdick.

You think you were confused? I had no idea what I was doing until I read the username.

I guess it's not as bad as someone outright stealing your avatar for other forums and Twitter, which has happened to me several times. Not saying Sabre26 stole anything from me here, of course. But, looks like one of us may have to back down and find another way to express our inner spirit.

I don't hate him. In fact, I really like where the team is going. I just don't like it when people lie. There is no way that 30th wasn't the goal and there is no way that he thought this team could have been better that 30th. If you have to lie about it when talking about it then don't talk about it at all.

1. Because you're a child and need immediate gratification.

Amazing response!  lol 

I don't hate him. In fact, I really like where the team is going. I just don't like it when people lie. There is no way that 30th wasn't the goal and there is no way that he thought this team could have been better that 30th. If you have to lie about it when talking about it then don't talk about it at all.

That's called saving face, there is some grey area in media responses.  Welcome to sports. 

1. Because you're a child and need immediate gratification.

I've been thinking about this. Isn't getting McEichel like eating that first marshmallow? I mean, why take the time to, through smart drafting and trades, create a team over a couple of seasons, getting better each one, that can win it all, when I can just epically suck for one season and get a great player immediately?

Who are the real children here?

Smart drafting implies creating the best chance that your selections make it to the show. The best way to do that is to draft near the top. Check. Traded for top line scoring punch and physicality on d. Check. Bring in a good coach to get the best production not effort out of players acquired. Check. He does have shifty eyes. Ill give you that.

I love the guy.  He's a straight shooter and is emotionless when it comes to doing what's right for the future of our team.  Darcy was too emotionally attached to his players.  GMTM sees them as assets and nothing more.  That's how it should be.

As for his lying about 30th, I can live with it because he's not allowed to just come out and say, "We're gonna suck for the entire year because we want 30th" without penalty from the league and extreme backlash publicly.

He does what he has to do and does it well.  

Listen to his interviews with Schopp and Bulldog - he's a good dude who knows what he's doing.

I've been thinking about this. Isn't getting McEichel like eating that first marshmallow? I mean, why take the time to, through smart drafting and trades, create a team over a couple of seasons, getting better each one, that can win it all, when I can just epically suck for one season and get a great player immediately?

Who are the real children here?

They've sucked for more than one season, but they've also drafted well in Girgensons, Grigorenko (who's starting to show something), Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, McEichel, and Reinhart.  They've traded for Bogosian (love his violence), Kane, and Larson.  Add that to Ennis, Moulson, Gionta and jettison Hodgson, and this team is close to done rebuilding and will have 3 solid lines and a great young defense corps.  I like Lindback's game, too.  Now they have to mature and jell while adding pieces to the mix via free agency.  The future is amazingly bright - I don't know how people can over look that fact.

I don't hate GMTM at all. Did what was needed to put this team on the path to future success.

Swamp's post above is exactly how I see it. GMTM has to play the PR game of saying that they weren't trying for last/didn't expect to be this bad. It's the unwritten rule of being a lottery team that you don't admit to trying to be the worst. Something about the integrity of the competitive nature of sports. That and if you don't admit it, there can always be some plausible deniability, even with tons of evidence to the contrary.

Exactly....

Amazing response!  lol 

That's called saving face, there is some grey area in media responses.  Welcome to sports. 

There is saving face and bold faced disingeniousness.   Bill Clinton saying I did not have sex with that woman is bold faced... So is TM's comment about finishing last and blaming TN.  So leave it at "finishing 30th wasn't a goal"..don't add the second clause....

Dude needs a better P.R. person that he will listen to and follow directions from.  If not this kind of thing is gonna keep happening.

Edited by North Buffalo

Exactly....

There is saving face and bold faced disingeniousness.   Bill Clinton saying I did not have sex with that woman is bold faced... So is TM's comment about finishing last and blaming TN.  So leave it at "finishing 30th wasn't a goal"..don't add the second clause....

Dude needs a better P.R. person that he will listen to and follow directions from.  If not this kind of thing is gonna keep happening.

Agreed.

Exactly....

Great signature. I've always wondered how it's possible Schoeny and Koharski never made a Tim Horton's commercial. Would be hilarious. They can't possibly still be holding grudges.

Great signature. I've always wondered how it's possible Schoeny and Koharski never made a Tim Horton's commercial. Would be hilarious. They can't possibly still be holding grudges.

I'm not sure if it's tracking and magic based on my searches, but once you get to "kohars" in Youtube the suggested completion is "koharski donut".

Exactly....

I love how unfiltered GMTM is when he speaks. You can tell he does try to pause and think before saying something - and then goes ahead and says it anyway!

I think last year's "got our pee-pee slapped" comment was enough to endear me to him forever!

I make no secret I love Ted Nolan as a head coach and was thoroughly disappointed he was not given the chance to mold the team with young talent after being a good soldier the past 2 seasons. I will most definitely give Tim Murray the benefit of the doubt for the next 2 seasons as he has to basically rebuild this thing and it is not an easy job. I am desperate to see good hockey in Buffalo once again and if Tim can accomplish this then my hat is off to him and I credit him for making the hard decisions. It is in his hands now. I agree with other posters on these blogs that since T-Pegs and all his money came to Buffalo, we have been promised "Hockey Heaven" and so far, it has been the complete opposite. I give myself 2 more seasons of hopefully seeing serious improvement in this club before I consider other ways to spend my winter time and money. The organization has what it supposedly wanted and now it is time for them to get it right. I'm not expecting Stanley Cups even. Just strong playoff appearances which may lead to it. No blaming anyone but Tim now if this derails.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.