Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

He said it twice. He made sure to clarify that it wasn't all on the players, but he said he went into the meetings with them with an open mind. One of the very first things he said was similar to this, as well.

I am not questioning your veracity but rather my hearing. He said the players wanted Nolan gone? Or the 30th place finish wasn't all on the players?

I am not questioning your veracity but rather my hearing. He said the players wanted Nolan gone? Or the 30th place finish wasn't all on the players?

This is what I'm trying to figure out. Did Murray say the player interviews played a role in letting Nolan go?

I mean, I've gotten over much, much more important ###### than that.  As you know.  But take the logic and run with it, you know?

It wasn't so much logic as it was a red herring you threw out there.

GMTM can't say he didn't think we were a 30th place team and give his coach Pat Kaleta as a center. It has nothing to do with why I wanted Ruff gone.

I would have been OK with Nolan staying...but I'm also OK with him not here. 

Babcock?  If it happens good, but I'd almost rather have a younger guy. If Murray hires someone new this week and it isn't Babcock (obviously with him still coaching), I'm good with that because it tells me he is getting what he wants.

As far as him hiring one of his 'buddies'?  So what? as long as the guy has coaching pedigree/experience, I think it is a GOOD thing to have a guy you get a long with.

Really slammed Zadorov too, not that Big Z didn't deserve it. 

Thanks, I ended up listening online as well

I didn't take it that way. To me, it sounded like he wasn't 100% behind Nolan's handling of Zadorov. I thought he said you cannot wait for a 19 year old who needs guidance to come to you. You need to pursue him and help him out. I don't think that's a slam on Zadorov, but an example of how Nolan and Murray did not see eye-to-eye.

Can you elaborate for those who can't here this?

When asked about Zadorov, the first thing he did was chuckle. Murray said he had a sit-down with Zadorov, and told him he really needs to mature. Said your teammates and coaches lose respect when you don't work hard/misbehave. He goes on to say Risto is a much more mature player, and also took bigger strides. He ends it with saying he told Zadorov he needs to grow up, get in shape, and become a man. He says we'll wait and see what happens with his growth this offseason

I didn't take it that way. To me, it sounded like he wasn't 100% behind Nolan's handling of Zadorov. I thought he said you cannot wait for a 19 year old who needs guidance to come to you. You need to pursue him and help him out. I don't think that's a slam on Zadorov, but an example of how Nolan and Murray did not see eye-to-eye.

I disagree. When he did mention the bold, he specifically mentioned that it wasn't Nolan's fault.

"I had a very long talk with him this morning about a lot of things". Risto is a much more mature player but needs to work. Zadorov is not where Risto is. Put it in GMTM speak and you get the picture.

It wasn't so much logic as it was a red herring you threw out there.

GMTM can't say he didn't think we were a 30th place team and give his coach Pat Kaleta as a center. It has nothing to do with why I wanted Ruff gone.

Ted Nolan gave Ted Nolan Pat Kaleta as a center. The team had 4th line center options.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. Did Murray say the player interviews played a role in letting Nolan go?

I took it that way. It sounded like -- after 6 hours of player interviews, this had to be done. He later said, all the players said Nolan was a good man. But I think as fans, we have said that too. We like him, but want someone else going forward. (Sorry to the 10 people on the poll who wanted him to stay -- I am referencing the 50 people who were indifferent or wanted change.)

I'm no stenographer - here goes. GMTM talked personally with Z. Told him his teammates and coaches expected more. Part of becoming a man. Said Z is still immature. Compared him to a young, but more mature, Risto. Tellingly, said coach has to reach out to 19 year olds because 19 year olds don't reach out to you.

Edited by Neokolai Gogol

Which one, the players wanted him gone or the players weren't solely responsible for 30th or both?

The players wanted him gone. But -- he didn't just say that. Implied it.

Sorry for the confusion -- I don't know where the 30th part came into play here.

Edited by Hoss

Impression: TM and TN talked together for a total of about seven minutes this season. Whose "fault"? I have no idea. I don't get the feel that reporting to Murray is "comfortable". Before anyone says it, I understand comfort isn't the point.

When asked about Zadorov, the first thing he did was chuckle. Murray said he had a sit-down with Zadorov, and told him he really needs to mature. Said your teammates and coaches lose respect when you don't work hard/misbehave. He goes on to say Risto is a much more mature player, and also took bigger strides. He ends it with saying he told Zadorov he needs to grow up, get in shape, and become a man. He says we'll wait and see what happens with his growth this offseason

I disagree. When he did mention the bold, he specifically mentioned that it wasn't Nolan's fault.

Murray said that but it was weird. It was really strange to pull Zadorov in as an example of why Nolan was fired. Kind of like, we didn't see eye to eye, but what he did, hey, it was his call. Something had to be done. Then he mentioned that Zadorov needed help and didn't receive it. I took it as Murray thinking more resources should have been put on the young guys. 

Impression: TM and TN talked together for a total of about seven minutes this season. Whose "fault"? I have no idea. I don't get the feel that reporting to Murray is "comfortable". Before anyone says it, I understand comfort isn't the point.

Completely agreed -- but I will say that Murray seems a bit too "it's my way or the highway." He seems to be of the mind that the head coach should have little to no say in personnel decisions which I think is tough to deal with. They should be involved if they're going to be coaching the group... Obviously the pro scouts, GM and AHL coaches will know a bit more about the guys worth getting but I think the coach should be involved.

Ted Nolan gave Ted Nolan Pat Kaleta as a center. The team had 4th line center options.

I don't follow. They had other centers at the time and Nolan chose Patty? I really don't think that happened.

Edited by SumpfV

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.