Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

it's not about being fired, it's about how  and why he was fired

How he was fired? What does that mean, exactly? Was be made to do a perp-walk out of FNC? 

Pretty sure the why of it is readily obvious. No need to elaborate. 

GO SABRES!!!

How he was fired? What does that mean, exactly? Was be made to do a perp-walk out of FNC? 

Pretty sure the why of it is readily obvious. No need to elaborate. 

GO SABRES!!!

mutual agreement would have been nice, and if the why was so "obvious than why didn't it happen sooner

I think Murray summarizes the entire presser perfectly in the last 30 seconds or so. All of the people hating on Murray for this haven't SEEN this presser and that last 30 seconds. Murray wants to improve the team, and he means it. He didn't think keeping Nolan here was going to contribute to the scope of improvement he wants to see. What else is he supposed to do?

Yes. And he showed pure class during the whole interview.Didnt sully Ted one bit.

mutual agreement would have been nice, and if the why was so "obvious than why didn't it happen sooner

Mutual agreement? That's how coaches get fired? I'm not sure, but a "mutual agreement" between the coach and the club may have jeopardized Nolan getting paid the final two years of his deal. 

As for the "why", there was never any need for Nolan to be let go before the end of the season. But I can imagine the outcries by his fans if he were. 

Terrible coach who's getting a nice two year paycheck for not coaching. Kind of like what he's been doing all along, but he just won't be behind the bench. 

GO SABRES!!!

Here's the thing kids, I don't need Tim Murray to stroke players egos, or blow rainbows and unicorns up Pegula's ass, or tell the fanbase the truth every day so we know what's going on, or to coddle the coach or coaches in an effort to make them feel better when he terminates their contracts.  No I don't need any of that although it appears some of you do.  I need Tim Murray, General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres to do one simple task, win the Buffalo Sabres a Stanley Cup by whatever means he deems necessary.  That means he has to have a plan he can not only execute but also adapt to changing circumstances.  So while some of you will mourn the passing of Ted Nolan, quite frankly I don't give a damn.  I don't need Murray to explain it to me or to hug me so I feel better. I simply need him to continually demonstrate he has a plan going forward and is executing it.  So far Tim Murray has executed his plan.  When the team bombed in January he altered his plan to maximize the assets from what then became a lost season.  When the season ended he fired the coach who clearly was not always getting through to his players.  Only Buffalo fans would lament losing a coach after the season we just had and honestly I think it is nostalgia more than anything.  Enjoy your whine and cheese kids, I'm going to enjoy a GM who is a big picture kind of guy.  Tim Murray isn't the General Manager to make everyone all warm and fuzzy, he's the General Manager to win a Stanley Cup.  

Here's the thing kids, I don't need Tim Murray to stroke players egos, or blow rainbows and unicorns up Pegula's ass, or tell the fanbase the truth every day so we know what's going on, or to coddle the coach or coaches in an effort to make them feel better when he terminates their contracts.  No I don't need any of that although it appears some of you do.  I need Tim Murray, General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres to do one simple task, win the Buffalo Sabres a Stanley Cup by whatever means he deems necessary.  That means he has to have a plan he can not only execute but also adapt to changing circumstances.  So while some of you will mourn the passing of Ted Nolan, quite frankly I don't give a damn.  I don't need Murray to explain it to me or to hug me so I feel better. I simply need him to continually demonstrate he has a plan going forward and is executing it.  So far Tim Murray has executed his plan.  When the team bombed in January he altered his plan to maximize the assets from what then became a lost season.  When the season ended he fired the coach who clearly was not always getting through to his players.  Only Buffalo fans would lament losing a coach after the season we just had and honestly I think it is nostalgia more than anything.  Enjoy your whine and cheese kids, I'm going to enjoy a GM who is a big picture kind of guy.  Tim Murray isn't the General Manager to make everyone all warm and fuzzy, he's the General Manager to win a Stanley Cup.  

Well said.  Agree 100%.

He was not fired. He wanted a multi year extension. Darcy Regier was new to the team and wanted to only give him a one year extension to see how things would work out between them. Nolan turned it down.

Yeah my bad; you're right.

The point is he was always regarded has having a tactical/systems knowledge deficiency and it hurt his position previously. 

This is nothing new.  

Here's the thing kids, I don't need Tim Murray to stroke players egos, or blow rainbows and unicorns up Pegula's ass, or tell the fanbase the truth every day so we know what's going on, or to coddle the coach or coaches in an effort to make them feel better when he terminates their contracts. No I don't need any of that although it appears some of you do. I need Tim Murray, General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres to do one simple task, win the Buffalo Sabres a Stanley Cup by whatever means he deems necessary. That means he has to have a plan he can not only execute but also adapt to changing circumstances. So while some of you will mourn the passing of Ted Nolan, quite frankly I don't give a damn. I don't need Murray to explain it to me or to hug me so I feel better. I simply need him to continually demonstrate he has a plan going forward and is executing it. So far Tim Murray has executed his plan. When the team bombed in January he altered his plan to maximize the assets from what then became a lost season. When the season ended he fired the coach who clearly was not always getting through to his players. Only Buffalo fans would lament losing a coach after the season we just had and honestly I think it is nostalgia more than anything. Enjoy your whine and cheese kids, I'm going to enjoy a GM who is a big picture kind of guy. Tim Murray isn't the General Manager to make everyone all warm and fuzzy, he's the General Manager to win a Stanley Cup.

Disagree, Murray hasn't shown enough both as a manager and a judge of talent to justify your claims. In fact his handling of Nolan gives me great pause. Kane is a big risk, will any of last year's picks come thru... So far who knows... If he doesn't hit a homerun with this coach....plans be damned, anyone can have a plan... execute it in a vacuum and watch it fail. Edited by North Buffalo

Yup. Amen.   :worthy:  :beer:

I couldn't take any more.  This is the post to end this thread.  Well stated and agree 100%.  Too may youth soccer players in this thread.  You know, the entitled to happiness and a trophy just for showing up without putting in the time and effort to actually "WIN" anything.  Oh, sorry...a little about me.  Born Dec 1960.  Grew up with the French Connection, Duds, Rammer, Luuuuuuuuuuuce, Spinner Spencer, Danny Gare, JK, JS, JG, LC, LF, BH etc. and every Sabre since.  Went to bed listeing to RJ.  Retired AF currently living in South MS...last stop for the AF.  In the big picture, 1.5yrs is light speed for the tear down GMTM had to do.  Let's revisit this thread at year three A.T.

I couldn't take any more. This is the post to end this thread. Well stated and agree 100%. Too may youth soccer players in this thread. You know, the entitled to happiness and a trophy just for showing up without putting in the time and effort to actually "WIN" anything. Oh, sorry...a little about me. Born Dec 1960. Grew up with the French Connection, Duds, Rammer, Luuuuuuuuuuuce, Spinner Spencer, Danny Gare, JK, JS, JG, LC, LF, BH etc. and every Sabre since. Went to bed listeing to RJ. Retired AF currently living in South MS...last stop for the AF. In the big picture, 1.5yrs is light speed for the tear down GMTM had to do. Let's revisit this thread at year three A.T.

Welcome, but be prepared lots of wine here.... Ps dont mind tear down as a result of Darcy, just need results and just saying warning signs abound that we may be witnessing an oncoming train...

i too listened to RJ with radio under pillow.

Edited by North Buffalo

Disagree, Murray hasn't shown enough both as a manager and a judge of talent to justify your claims. In fact his handling of Nolan gives me great pause. Kane is a big risk, will any of last year's picks come thru... So far who knows... If he doesn't hit a homerun with this coach....plans be damned, anyone can have a plan... execute it in a vacuum and watch it fail.

Remember Murray was in charge of Anahiem's draft board........that did pretty well. 

Kane isn't a big risk. He's 23 and has 222 points in this league. 

Bogo you've seen. 

Winnipeg took most of the risk in that deal. 

Stafford is UFA, Late First round pick is a little better than a coin flip, Lemieux and Armia unproven, plus whatever Tyler M. becomes. 

Edited by X. Benedict

Disagree, Murray hasn't shown enough both as a manager and a judge of talent to justify your claims. In fact his handling of Nolan gives me great pause. Kane is a big risk, will any of last year's picks come thru... So far who knows... If he doesn't hit a homerun with this coach....plans be damned, anyone can have a plan... execute it in a vacuum and watch it fail.

Whether anyone loves or hates Tim Murray, we all have to agree that he is already proving to be a pretty big risk taker.

Of course, that can cut both ways.  Huge successes and huge failures.

We have to wait and see how things play out before Murray can accurately be judged.

just need results and just saying warning signs abound that we may be witnessing an oncoming train...

So now we're looking ahead to the next step. For last couple of years we (the fanbase) could only think of the draft picks. Losing was fine if it got us the best players. It was all that was discussed for most of this past season. Now that the team has sharted twice in a row and GMTM has revealed a bit of his hand by letting Nolan go, now all of sudden we're worried that GMTM isn't the right guy for the job. I still trust in him more than any other person associated with the Sabres at this point. One of the biggest reasons is the ZFG attitude. It doesn't mean he doesn't want to win; it means he's not tied to Sabres history, Sabres tradition, Sabre culture. That's a good thing; the culture has become one of mediocrity. He's certainly cleared that out and is now stocking the shelves with his chosen prospects. If next year isn't much better than this year, so be it, but before we talk about oncoming trains, let's give GMTM enough time to execute his vision for the team.

I feel bad at what happened with Nolan. He was setup to fail by given ###### to work with. Plus the front office didn't want to be better standing wise. I think his being fired because some of the younger core didn't make bigger strides and then Cody got actually worse.

I believe that if GMTM honestly thought that Ted Nolan is a coach with the ability to take the team to the Stanley Cup finals,  then Ted Nolan would still have his job.

Obviously, that is not the case.   

Whether anyone loves or hates Tim Murray, we all have to agree that he is already proving to be a pretty big risk taker.

Of course, that can cut both ways. Huge successes and huge failures.

We have to wait and see how things play out before Murray can accurately be judged.

It has to be better than Darcy, right?

If you believe Murray wasn't trying to ice one of the worst teams in league history, and was actually shooting for something north of 30th place, then doesn't he deserve some criticism, at the very least for hiring such a terrible coach? You can't have it both ways.

If you believe Murray wasn't trying to ice one of the worst teams in league history, and was actually shooting for something north of 30th place, then doesn't he deserve some criticism, at the very least for hiring such a terrible coach? You can't have it both ways.

I think he was trying to field a team that wasn't too good to have a shot at McDavid.  The fact that they totally tanked was serendipitous. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.