Is anyone to blame if we don't finish last?

Stads

I apologize to all of the anti-tankers for this topic. In the event that we finish 29th, who do you feel is most responsible? Is it Ted Nolan, Murray, Maloney and Regier, or someone else? You might also think that no one is to blame and stuff happens.

Is it as simple as we were out-tanked?

I think they have done all they could to tank in a professional manner. Sad that you are apologizing cause you started a new thread lol. Some people don't like that type of thing. I mean the starting a new thread thing. 

Is it as simple as we were out-tanked?

Yep. I posted in another thread that if the yotes lose out, that would mean they played at a 34 point 82 game pace since Feb 1. Our worst two back to back months of the season were Dec/Jan at 41 pt pace and Jan - Feb was a 39 pt. pace. They will have simply out tanked us at the wire.

For comparison, if the Sabres finish 1-4-0 and clinch the shart that would give them a 9-18-5 record since Feb 1, a 59 pt pace which should have coasted us to the shart. But the yotes are tanking fecking hard.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I'm putting most of my blame on Mezz, I mean 5points in three games. The rest of my blame goes to the fan's that cheered the yotes win. That really seemed to light a fire under this team.

Disagree about Mezz, he was a sHart Trophy candidate up until the last few games.   He was awful for long stretches this season, and Buffalo wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for that.

Possibly. Amazing no one is criticizing the Leafs tank....unless I've missed it

What's to criticize?  Since the full season lockout, the Loafs have followed a consistent pattern: win a lot of games for the 1st ~50 and then lose even more after the switch flips.  That they followed that exact same pattern, but intentionally this time is mockable far more than criticizable. :lol:

No one is to blame.  It's not a tank.  If it were a tank then they would suck for failing.  Tanking is intentionally losing and that's clearly not what happened here.

The lack of talent is not enough to guarantee a poor season.  Dare I say it, they wanted a cohesive locker room that stressed a team first attitude and winning is a byproduct of it.  Even if the talent level is low.

It's life.

the players

they played like crap all year long, now that the season is coming to an end they're going to start trying.. KICK IN THE NUTS to Sabres fans IMO.

I actually agree with this. They seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder. I can't say I blame them but they're really pissing me off

There's nobody to blame. We had a collection of average to below average goaltenders playing like Hasek for longer than anyone could have reasonably expected. We won games we should have lost because of it. Matt Ellis scores a goal the likes of which he probably hasn't since he was 10. And so on. Good ol' fashioned luck.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

What the Sabres organisation did this season is an actual tank, they went into this season with the full intention of being the worst and did not attempt to make this year's team anything but the worst. They brought in a few veterans that could use up salary cap space and dumped talent during the season for potential future help.

Arizona and Toronto went into the season at least trying to be something better then the worst and maybe make the playoffs, then when that wasn't looking possible they dumped some players to try to get a better draft spot.

The players did just start to play better, these guys haven't been playing bad all season on purpose, they just don't have the talent to be a good team. And it seems month to month the roster looks different. The team that played in December and January looks much different then the team that played in march, because of trades and injury. The players on this team right now don't give a crap if the Sabres get mceichel or if they draft 30th. Many of these guys are playing to keep a roster spot or a career in the NHL. Why would they want to roll over and play bad so the fans get their saviour when it could mean they lose their spot on this team and maybe cost them a spot in the NHL?

Gionta.  

I was on board with this team winning, dumb hope-filled fan style, "maybe they sneak into 8th, then who knows!" until January.  Then, fine, tank it is.  Gionta has 2 years on his contract here and maybe 2 years left in the league.  He's got no reason to selfishly play balls-out for a new contract/life in NHL like ~70% of the roster does.  As the captain, don't be a d-b and rally the team "fans suck, we play for each other" nonsense.  Maybe he doesn't get it? GMTM and TP both want 30th.  The fans want 30th.  Of course Nolan doesn't, it's embarrassing to him.  Get on board and coast a little bit, it won't take much, and we won't think less of you.  Quietly reassure the other veterans / those not fighting for their lives ($) (so Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian) (crap, is that it?) "pssst...it's ok to coast a little bit, f this season, game on in oct".  It appears he's doing the exact opposite.  So if we finish 29th I'm putting it on him.  

Looking forward, Zegmus gives me hope for a captain that actually understands the business.  Of course, take care of yourself #1 ($$$), but respect the fans and empathize with them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.