2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

“I’m the smartest of the Ds,” said Juolevi when asked why he’d be the first blueliner to go. “It’s something that’s hard to teach. It’s one of those natural things that you have or you don’t have. You can always go practice your shooting, or passing, or skating or whatever, but that’s a hard thing to improve on anymore.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-drafts-top-d-olli-juolevi/

Juolevi is who I want if we go D because he checks all of my high priority boxes for Dmen. I can just picture in my head him flinging an exit pass onto Jack's stick as he's full speed in the neutral zone. I also don't think he'll be there at 8, so...

Who else wants a d-man? I haven't really been looking at the teams ahead of us. All I know is at least 1/3 of the big 3 d-men should be available at our pick

Who else wants a d-man? I haven't really been looking at the teams ahead of us. All I know is at least 1/3 of the big 3 d-men should be available at our pick

Edmonton (though I still think they use their forwards to get one of the RHDs on the trade market), Vancouver, Arizona (they seem like a near lock to me to go D) are all in the mix.

6. There’s not quite a consensus on the choice between Olli Juolevi and Mikhail Sergachev as the top defenceman in this pool. 

One scout who advocates Juolevi: “So smart, so much of what Finland did at the worlds and what London did this season started on his stick. Physically, he doesn’t get the credit that he should but he’s a playmaker and he makes the puck do the work. And he’s bigger than people might think.” 

One scout who advocates Sergachev: “He probably helped himself this week. He measured at 220 pounds and over 6-foot-2. You can see him bring a physical component as a pro that you wouldn’t project for Juolevi. I think there’s a chance that he could be the best player in this whole draft eight or ten years from now. We liked him in our interview. He could have opted out of the U18s (after most of the Russian team was suspended for PED use). He told us that he wanted to go and play with underages at the tournament because he’d been an underager the year before and felt like he had a duty to help the Russian kids. ‘My country was always there for me, so I’m there for my country,’ he told us. Which you have to respect.”

7. You might see B.C. defenceman Charlie McAvoy and Sarnia blue liner Jake Chychrun show up in the top ten of a few mock drafts. This seems to be a reach, according to a poll of scouts. 

Said one veteran scout who had viewed McAvoy five times on top of the world juniors: “The defencmen with top-pair upside here are Juolevi and Sergachev. Chychrun is at best a No. 3 defenceman [on a winning team] down the line. McAvoy might be a bit more of a wild card. The choice between Chychrun and McAvoy will come down to whether you like McAvoy’s hockey sense or Chychrun’s physical tools. Either way, if they’re not top-pair defencemen, then how do you spend a top ten pick on them?”

Thoughts on the D Prospects from Gare Joyce of Sportnet. 

Does anyone think that if TM was a GMTM in 2004 he would have taken Cam Barker over Ovechkin or Malkin simply because the other two were Russian? I give him more credit than that. If a Russian is the BPA when we draft and that player makes sense, I don't think nationality will matter.

Chychrun starting to sound like Zack Bogosian?

I don't think so.

I'm a little sceptical of that report, as it says "a few" mock drafts have Chychrun in the top 10, where in reality it's "most". I've also heard he definitely has a fair chance at top pairing potential, and "at best a No. 3" is something I read for the first time with that report.

But it can't be denied that several are now doubting him. He's still my top D choice, but I'd almost rather Juolevi at this point as it would result in a less high drama pick. Or Sergachev.

Let's hope Makarov is out to lunch.

Edited by Thorny

I don't think so.

I'm a little sceptical of that report, as it says "a few" mock drafts have Chychrun in the top 10, where in reality it's "most". I've also heard he definitely has a fair chance at top pairing potential, and "at best a No. 3" is something I read for the first time with that report.

But it can't be denied that several are now doubting him. He's still my top D choice, but I'd almost rather Juolevi at this point as it would result in a less high drama pick. Or Sergachev.

Let's hope Makarov is out to lunch.

I'm fairly confident Sergachev would be the highest drama pick we could make. I think it'd be pure love it or hate it.

I'm fairly confident Sergachev would be the highest drama pick we could make. I think it'd be pure love it or hate it.

Probably true.

Edmonton probably either goes forward (BPA), or trades the pick to someone who does. From what I've heard Benning is leaning forward. I think Arizona goes D. So Juolevi is almost certainly gone. I think it's between Chychrun and Sergachev.

Chychrun starting to sound like Zack Bogosian?

In that he's blowing smaller competition out of the water simply because of his size? It's definitely a concern

Does anyone think that if TM was a GMTM in 2004 he would have taken Cam Barker over Ovechkin or Malkin simply because the other two were Russian? I give him more credit than that. If a Russian is the BPA when we draft and that player makes sense, I don't think nationality will matter.

I'd say no. Those two are just can't miss. He probably would be pissed that that would be the year he won the lottery though

my guess of how draft will unfold (assuming no trades)

4) Edmonton Oilers - Matthew Tkachuk. Oilers need a power forward to compliment the Skill they have drafted over the last 6 years or so. I think Tkachuk's OHL play-offs have all but cemented him as the 4th pick in this years draft. Oilers, obvioulsy, need help on D but they go the trade route in order to get an NHL Dman or two.

5) Vancouver Canucks - Logan Brown, Canucks draft the player who they think can eventually replace Daniel Sedin as their #1 center.

6) Calgary Flames - Pierre Luc-Dubios, this is exactly brian burkes type of player - big and mean plus the kid can play

7) Arizona Coyotes - Oli Juolevi, this is a really tough call but the top prospects in the Arizona system are all forwards plus they have Domi and Duclair already in the NHL so time to go D and pick up a guy who they can eventually pair with OEL.

8) Buffalo Sabres - Alexander Nylander. Murray said that Eichel's future winger may not be on the roster yet and the prospects of a top line of Reinhart, Nylander and Eichel will be too tempting for him to pass on. I won't be disappointed if its Chychrun's name here that gets called but I believe the Sabres already have their future top pair Dman already in the system and I think Chychrun has a bit of boom or bust (bust being a 3/4 dman) to him.

I will add that I won't be at all surprised if Murray makes a move to get up to the 4 slot to grab from the Oilers in a deal that includes Pysyk, 8th pick and a prospect.

Edited by Crusader1969

I'd be very happy with Nylander, and thrilled if he fell to us. I have him ranked 6th. But the rumblings Murray is leaning D seem authentic. My guess is he'll be selecting between Chychrun and Sergachev.

Who is the top pair LHD you believe is already in the system?

Hell or high water, Cam Dineen in the 2nd needs to happen. 

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/6/3/11809536/new-jersey-defender-cam-dineen-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

With 59 points, Dineen finished third among all North Bay players in scoring and he finished second among all defensemen in the OHL in scoring. As a rookie. Yes, even more than potential top-ten pick Mikhail Sergachev, who I profiled last week. The production didn't end when the season did as Dineen contributed eight assists in eleven playoff games for the Battalion. The 165 shots he put on net in 2015-16 show that he's been very much involved in North Bay's attack, he's more than just a distributor as his 43 assists suggest. Do note that 28 of those 43 assists came on special teams - 24 on the power play, four on the penalty kill; that did help his production. That being said, North Bay's power play wasn't exactly a relative force in the 'O' (Dineen was involved in over half of their power play goals) and the points mean he did help make things happen on both special teams and in even strength play on the scoresheet. All while staying out the box, which is good in general for a defenseman.

Not a frequent poster but I wanted to thank you all for posting about the prospects in the last few drafts. I like hockey, but up until the last few years the draft was 'eh' for me. Bunch of guys I had never seen, most of which i had never heard of before.

Earlier this year it was which one of the top 3 D-man will fall to us at 8. Now, if i read this right, Crusader has two being available and we go for a winger of whom I have had prior knowledge (thanks to many here).  And now Liger has me thinking seriously about second round prospects.  

I find myself coming back to this thread several times a day. 

Many thanks. 

Edited by 2_minutes_4_roughing

my guess of how draft will unfold (assuming no trades)

4) Edmonton Oilers - Matthew Tkachuk. Oilers need a power forward to compliment the Skill they have drafted over the last 6 years or so. I think Tkachuk's OHL play-offs have all but cemented him as the 4th pick in this years draft. Oilers, obvioulsy, need help on D but they go the trade route in order to get an NHL Dman or two.

5) Vancouver Canucks - Logan Brown, Canucks draft the player who they think can eventually replace Daniel Sedin as their #1 center.

6) Calgary Flames - Pierre Luc-Dubios, this is exactly brian burkes type of player - big and mean plus the kid can play

7) Arizono Coyotoes - Oli Juolevi, this is a really tough call but the top prospects in the Arizona system are all forwards plus they have Domi and Duclair already in the NHL so time to go D and pick up a guy who they can eventually pair with OEL.

8) Buffalo Sabres - Alexander Nylander. Murray said that Eichel's future winger may not be on the roster yet and the prospects of a top line of Reinhart, Nylander and Eichel will be too tempting for him to pass on. I won't be disappointed if its Chychrun's name here that gets called but I believe the Sabres already have their future top pair Dman already in the system and I think Chychrun has a bit of boom or bust (bust being a 3/4 dman) to him.

I will add that I won't be at all surprised if Murray makes a move to get up to the 4 slot to grab from the Oilers in a deal that includes Pysyk, 8th pick and a prospect.

Pysyk 8th and a prospect for the 4th? The prospect just be a top one. And to think Guhle is a future top 2dman is jumping the gun by a lot

It just makes no sense to draft Nylander over Chychrun.  I just don't get it at all.  Chychrun has more value IMO. 

You honestly can't see why anybody may prefer to take the arguably superior prospect? Really? You love Chychrun, that's fine, but there's no reason to pretend he clearly has more value when it's not even remotely clear that that's the case.

It just makes no sense to draft Nylander over Chychrun.  I just don't get it at all.  Chychrun has more value IMO. 

Chychrun is the one player out of the 4 or so that I see similarly ranked (Nylander/Juolevi/Chychrun/Sergachev) that I absolutely do not want, and I have Nylander as my favorite of those four, and there are plenty of scouts who see it that way too, so it's definitely not the most outlandish thing in the world.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.