2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Columbus wants a center. Not just in this draft but immediately. Girgensons may appeal to them for that reason (and others).

I wonder if Girgensons, 8 and a 2nd gets it done.

I don't know why people want to pay so much for the #4 pick, you either offer up #8 and a 2nd or Girgensons and a 2nd. 

We are ditching a proven NHL player, for Tkachuck who is one of the worst when it comes to skating speed you can have in this draft.

Also how much have his stats been inflated by playing on the same line with Marner and Dvorak.

I don't know why people want to pay so much for the #4 pick, you either offer up #8 and a 2nd or Girgensons and a 2nd. 

We are ditching a proven NHL player, for Tkachuck who is one of the worst when it comes to skating speed you can have in this draft.

Also how much have his stats been inflated by playing on the same line with Marner and Dvorak.

Yea, I don't really care that much for Tkachuk.

Columbus = #3 = Puljujarvi. Adjust your critiques accordingly :)

Follow the conversation, gentlemen! :p

Ty ronning

He did well at certain phyiscal tests at the combine, is ranked #88 so could fall to us in the 3rd round.   Is my sleeper and I think he would be a bargain in the 3rd round.

Ranked 8th out of all CHL prospects (2016) in EVen strength goals per game. He had 58 points in total 40 came at even strength

Ranked 8th out of all CHL prospects (2016) in EVen strength goals per game. He had 58 points in total 40 came at even strength

Yeah I can't see him fall after the 2nd round myself, but many mock drafts do.   I would take him with the 38th pick even.

Columbus wants a center. Not just in this draft but immediately. Girgensons may appeal to them for that reason (and others).

I wonder if Girgensons, 8 and a 2nd gets it done.

Would you do that deal? I'd do that deal. Especially as Girgensons is mainly a winger in this system now anyhow. It would mean we're investing a higher stake in a RFA of Larsson (for next year), who continually goes short term deals and makes me worry about his cost/negotiability 

We are ditching a proven NHL player, for Tkachuck who is one of the worst when it comes to skating speed you can have in this draft.

Yea, I don't really care that much for Tkachuk.

There is a reason Tkachuk is consistently ranked 4th in this, a very deep draft. He's better than anyone other than the big 3. (Edit - at least as a prospect) Edited by Thorny

Of course we do girgs + 38 + 8 for 3. Not a bad offer but would think CLB would get better. Girgs is replaced nicely by Larsson and has proven to be a mediocre - decent pro. Not sure how his RFA status affects his trade value. I'd much rather have #3 than #4 - tkachuk's lack of foot speed worries me a bit

There is a reason Tkachuk is consistently ranked 4th in this, a very deep draft. He's better than anyone other than the big 3. (Edit - at least as a prospect)

I wish I could find the report that mentioned that of his 77 assists something like 50 of them were secondary ones. Maybe I read it wrong. I keep reading stuff on him and trying to find video and he just doesn't do it for me. I think he will be fine in the NHL just not my style.

I'll be pretty happy if we land Juolevi or Nylander and pretty meh about everyone else that might be available at 8.

TM likes big athletic north americans.    It's gonna be Cychrun or Brown, or a move up to #4 for Tkachuk, but that will take #8, a quality roster player and high end prospect. 

Craig Custance believes Buffalo is one of the most intriguing teams in the first round of the draft. Insider: http://espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=7893

Adding just the section about Buffalo, if this is too much let me know and I'll edit:

No. 8. Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres have 12 picks in this draft, and are a strong candidate to move up. Teams with that many picks don’t usually want to make them all, and it would give the Sabres ammunition to get into the top five if one of those teams is willing to move down.

Buffalo needs a left-handed shooting defenseman, and a guy like Olli Juolevi would fit the bill almost perfectly. The trouble is that the Arizona Coyotes pick right before the Sabres, and the big need in the desert is on defense as well. Former Coyotes GM Don Maloney left new GM John Chayka a stable full of good young forwards, and now Chayka can focus on building the defense around Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

If the Sabres decide they’re not going to get who they want at No. 8, they certainly have the assets to make a move. Not only do they have 12 picks in this year’s draft, they also have five in the first three rounds of the 2017 draft. GM Tim Murray has shown he’s not afraid to make a big move, and moving up would give the draft hosts something to get their fans excited about.

Craig Custance believes Buffalo is one of the most intriguing teams in the first round of the draft. Insider: http://espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=7893

Adding just the section about Buffalo, if this is too much let me know and I'll edit:

Thanks for sharing... good read.

I think the chances are greater that Murray uses those extra picks (maybe even #8) as part of a larger package to acquire a roster player instead of moving up in this draft.    

Good stuff.

I'd be a little disappointed if the Sabres traded up, only to take a Juolevi. Players of his caliber (or maybe even him) will be available at 8. If they move up I'm thinking it should be/will be for a Tkachuk or Adam DeMamp (Puljujarvi).

If Murray thinks Juolevi is the best defender and wants him on this team then I would hope he's willing to give a little extra to ensure he gets him. If we get to pick six an he's still there I would easily offer up a 2nd or 3rd to jump two spots to land him over Arizona.

If Murray thinks Juolevi is the best defender and wants him on this team then I would hope he's willing to give a little extra to ensure he gets him. If we get to pick six an he's still there I would easily offer up a 2nd or 3rd to jump two spots to land him over Arizona.

True, I should have been more specific. I wouldn't want to take Juolevi at 4.

The man who most of Sabrespace considers the go to on all things NHL draft prospects released his final list. I'm looking forward to the conversation following this list and I expect many opinions to change purely based on this list solely because of how much respect there is around here for this man. I look forward to those questioning this list getting torn apart and scared away from the site.

I present to you: Craig Button's final draft rankings...

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-matthews-no-1-because-position-matters-1.503562

Notables:

• Dubois over Tkachuk at 4
  • Keller at 6
  • Sergachev as the first D at 8, Juolevi behind him at 9
  • Chychrun comes in as the sixth dman at 17 (Bean 12, Fabbro 15, McAvoy 16)
  • Cam Dineen, a hopeful 2nd-rounder for Buffalo, comes in at 22
  • Goalie at 24 in Carter Hart
  • Max Jones, Julien Gauthier, Tyler Benson and Riley Tufte at 42/43/44/45 respectively
  • Ty Ronning at 83

The man who most of Sabrespace considers the go to on all things NHL draft prospects released his final list. I'm looking forward to the conversation following this list and I expect many opinions to change purely based on this list solely because of how much respect there is around here for this man. I look forward to those questioning this list getting torn apart and scared away from the site.

I present to you: Craig Button's final draft rankings...

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-matthews-no-1-because-position-matters-1.503562

Notables:

• Dubois over Tkachuk at 4
  • Keller at 6
  • Sergachev as the first D at 8, Juolevi behind him at 9
  • Chychrun comes in as the sixth dman at 17 (Bean 12, Fabbro 15, McAvoy 16)
  • Cam Dineen, a hopeful 2nd-rounder for Buffalo, comes in at 22
  • Goalie at 24 in Carter Hart
  • Max Jones, Julien Gauthier, Tyler Benson and Riley Tufte at 42/43/44/45 respectively
  • Ty Ronning at 83

Fine by me if Chychrun falls to 8.  Not fine by me if GMTM takes Bean or some such instead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.