2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I think Chycrun and Juolevi could easily both be gone by Pick #8.  This is an interesting draft because it is very difficult to predict.

(I'd be shocked in the Oilers don't take a defenseman at #4... if they don't trade the pick...)

I won't be shocked.  They've got high end skill forwards but Tkachuk is a guy who has strong play along the boards and in the corners.  I think he's too valuable of a prospect for them to pass on.  I think they trade Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins for their D help rather than waiting 3 years for these D prospects to make an impact.  I think the first D comes of the board with Arizona's pick.

So begrudgingly I've been looking again at the top 3 D (well 2 because I don't think Serg will be the pick).  I noticed that Juolevi played for London 'on loan' from Finland.  This is a loophole in the CHL-NHL transfer agreement and he is eligible to play in the AHL next season whereas Chychrun must go back to the OHL.  Does this influence which guy to take if their both on the board?  I would think Juolevi is probably a year in the AHL and then could really compete for a spot the following season.  Chychrun would have to go to the OHL, then probably another year in the AHL before he competes for a spot.  Just an interesting issues.  Sorry if it's already been discussed.

I think I still prefer the guy who Murray thinks will be a better player over the next 12 years rather than the guy who can play in the NHL the quickest.

The only thing I really want to see in the draft is Logan Brown going before the Sabres draft. Not that I don't like Brown, I just don't  think he would be on the Sabres radar because of the position he plays.

I'll be extremely happy if Murray and company only have to remove two of the following names from their draft board prior to them selecting - Nylander, Dubois, Keller, Juolevi, Chychrun and Sergi.

Dubois is going to Vancouver, I just feel it. I think...

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Puljujarvi
  4. Tkachuk
  5. Dubois
  6. Chychrun
  7. L. Brown
  8. Juolevi
  9. Nylander
  10. Sergachev
  11. Jost
  12. Bean
  13. Keller
  14. Jones
  15. Bellows

Did we keep 8? Oh and way to sell it with conviction!

Did we keep 8? Oh and way to sell it with conviction!

Yes, I never account for trades unless I have something firm to go off of. Edmonton for instance would be a prime candidate for trade but that's hard to gauge. 

Arizona could use defense help and has Dylan Strome and Christian Dvorak a year or two away from making the team and fixing their center issues, I think they may take Brown because they like his size and skill and he can be mentored by Martin Hanzal. 

Edited by LGR4GM

If we do take Juloevi at 8, the d-man I want, than I really hope we can move back up for Keller. Keller + Juolevi would be amazing. Would anyone move next year's first for that?

Hmmm... I think I'd rather kee our first next year for bait at the deadline if it comes to that. Or to use for a player we can plug in now.

If we do take Juloevi at 8, the d-man I want, than I really hope we can move back up for Keller. Keller + Juolevi would be amazing. Would anyone move next year's first for that?

I would not trade our first next year. I think we should make the playoffs but if we don't, lottery pick. That said I think you need to trade up into the 11-14 range for a shot at Keller (he could slide I suppose).  This means 2 things: First that it is a draft day trade because Keller needs to slide a bit, Second that you need a willing partner in that range. The teams in that range are the Devils, Senators, Bruins, Wild, Hurricanes.  Out of those teams maybe the Bruins and Wild are open to trading which means realistically just the Wild.  

Hmmm... I think I'd rather kee our first next year for bait at the deadline if it comes to that. Or to use for a player we can plug in now.

Or trade bait now? Looking at you, Colorado.

I would not trade our first next year. I think we should make the playoffs but if we don't, lottery pick. That said I think you need to trade up into the 11-14 range for a shot at Keller (he could slide I suppose).  This means 2 things: First that it is a draft day trade because Keller needs to slide a bit, Second that you need a willing partner in that range. The teams in that range are the Devils, Senators, Bruins, Wild, Hurricanes.  Out of those teams maybe the Bruins and Wild are open to trading which means realistically just the Wild.  

I think the Sens would be very willing. Would it even take a 2017 1st? 

Edited by WildCard

I won't be shocked.  They've got high end skill forwards but Tkachuk is a guy who has strong play along the boards and in the corners.  I think he's too valuable of a prospect for them to pass on.  I think they trade Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins for their D help rather than waiting 3 years for these D prospects to make an impact.  I think the first D comes of the board with Arizona's pick.

Every year Edmonton takes the best forward available in the draft... and every year they finish last.  At this point, the fans and press are putting huge pressure on the organization to pick a defenseman or trade down.  Word is they like Juolevi quite a bit.  I think that will be their pick, although it is quite possible that they trade the #4 pick (maybe even to us for #8).

Every year Edmonton takes the best forward available in the draft... and every year they finish last.  At this point, the fans and press are putting huge pressure on the organization to pick a defenseman or trade down.  Word is they like Juolevi quite a bit.  I think that will be their pick, although it is quite possible that they trade the #4 pick (maybe even to us for #8).

I think that's the more likely route they take.  If you ignore Edmonton's need then virtually no draft has a Dman being taken 4th overall.  Edmonton just has so many guys that they could trade up front and it sounds like there will be quite a few Dmen available for trade that I think they figure out their D via trade. 

Dubois is going to Vancouver, I just feel it. I think...

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Puljujarvi
  4. Tkachuk
  5. Dubois
  6. Chychrun
  7. L. Brown
  8. Juolevi
  9. Nylander
  10. Sergachev
  11. Jost
  12. Bean
  13. Keller
  14. Jones
  15. Bellows

Completely agree about Dubios going to Vancouver....unless MTL makes a move to grab him in the 4th slot ahead of Vancouver.

I think that's the more likely route they take.  If you ignore Edmonton's need then virtually no draft has a Dman being taken 4th overall.  Edmonton just has so many guys that they could trade up front and it sounds like there will be quite a few Dmen available for trade that I think they figure out their D via trade. 

I'm thinking that they go Tkachuk. Yes, they have taken a lot of forwards with their high draft pick (except Nurse) but these guys have been all skill and very little brawn. I think they take the power foward at 4 and trade for an NHL ready Dman with one of their skilled guys. 

I'm thinking that they go Tkachuk. Yes, they have taken a lot of forwards with their high draft pick (except Nurse) but these guys have been all skill and very little brawn. I think they take the power foward at 4 and trade for an NHL ready Dman with one of their skilled guys.

Agreed. I also thinks it makes by far the best use of their organizational assets to start winning sooner.

Nope, I want my 2017 1st unless I have my socks blown off with someone who can step right in next year. Keller and most of the other prospects can't do that. 

In terms of moving back into the 1st I'd be tempted to trade up if Keller, Chychrun, or Bean were sitting there at about 20 overall, or Mcovoy or Jones were there at 28 overall but that's about it.  

15. Wild -- too costly

16. Red Wings -- too costly

17. Predators -- too costly

18. Flyers -- too costly

19. Islanders -- too costly

20. Coyotes (from NYR)  -- might be willing to

21. Carolina (LAK)  -- unlikely to want more picks

22. Jets (from CHI)  -- 2 1sts 1 2nd no 3rds, potential

23. Panthers -- 1 1st, 1 2nd(from VAN) No 3rds potential

24. Ducks -- 1 1st, no 2nds, and 1 3rd, potential

25. Stars -- 1 1st, no 2nds, and 1 3rd (from SJS), potential

26. Capitals -- 1 1st, nothing until 4th, serious potential  

27. Lightning -- 1 1st, 2 2nds, 1 3rd, unlikely

28. Blues -- 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd (from WAS), maybe?   

29. Leafs (from Pitt) -- Who knows

30. Bruins (from SJS) -- 2 1sts, 2 2nds (NYI and EDM) no 3rds, serious potential 

From 38.

Edited by thewookie1

I know it would be called a reach, but, after looking at a lot of video, Keller is my pick. He just has the it factor and looked as good or better than anyone not name Matthews or Laine. I know he's small but seems to avoid getting hit. Maybe trade #8 +++ for Barrie and #10?

Keep in mind both Eichel and Matthews did not play their draft year in the USDP. Keller is an intriguing player none the less

Ah gotcha. 

By the way, off point here but that whole "Matthews is better because he shattered Eichel's records" argument? With that logic Phil Kessel is better than Patrick Kane.

If Matthews was 2 days older he would have been in last year's draft and would have went third. Eichel proved himself NHL star worthy last year, matthews has to do that this year. Matthews is excellent but I take Eichel over him everyday and twice on Sundays.

Ah gotcha. 

By the way, off point here but that whole "Matthews is better because he shattered Eichel's records" argument? With that logic Phil Kessel is better than Patrick Kane.

Interestingly though if you run the math, Jack and Auston played their last year of USDP at almost the same age Keller played this year. Keller was roughly 17.2 years old when the season started and Auston was roughly 17.06 years old and Jack was 16.95 years old. Keller is super young, so the math supports the idea he's possibly the best player at #8. 

Matthews did beat Jack in the USDP but the NHL isn't the USDP and I think that year in college will be better for Eichel than a year in the Swiss league will be for Matthews.  Clayaton Keller on the other hand had 1 less goal than Jack did in the USP.

Also... If you actually run the math on PPG...

Matthews: 1.933ppg, 62games extrapolated from 60games = 119.9points

Keller: 1.726ppg, 62games extrapolated from 62games = 107points

Eichel: 1.642ppg, 62games extrapolated from 53games = 101.8points

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.