2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I'd be very happy with Nylander, and thrilled if he fell to us. I have him ranked 6th. But the rumblings Murray is leaning D seem authentic. My guess is he'll be selecting between Chychrun and Sergachev.

Who is the top pair LHD you believe is already in the system?

I should have said I look think the Sabres believe they already have their top pair damn in the system already and it's Guhle. But I'll openly admit I'm only guessing.

Where have you heard the rumblings? Maybe I've missed something?

I won't be upset with whomever they take at #8. However, it is important for them to get it right. This should be the last top10 pick Buffalo will have for awhile.

I should have said I look think the Sabres believe they already have their top pair damn in the system already and it's Guhle. But I'll openly admit I'm only guessing.

I won't be upset with whomever they take at #8. However, it is important for them to get it right. This should be the last top10 pick Buffalo will have for awhile.

If anyone important in the organization thinks Guhle has legitimate top pair potential, I may just opt to go over the Falls on a pool noodle.

I've been comparing Chychrun to Bogo for awhile now.

What hadn't really registered with me until now is that maybe GMTM acquired Bogo because he is a GMTM kind of defenceman (sorry, Blue) - Ceci, Cowan and Karlsson were his Senator high picks on D, if that means anything.

Given our established love for athletes, our need for left-handed D, the unlikelihood of Serge, the players who will be available when we are picking, and Hoss's great gossip on connections, I will now be shocked if we don't take him.

Would not have been my pick - it may surprise some given my Defence of Bogo, but I like Juolevi-style blue liners - but as I have said earlier on in this thead, in Tim I trust.

Edited by dudacek

Explain

Agreed.

Guhle and McCabe also fit the Bogo mould - athletes who are going to make errors of commission, not omission. The more I think about it, the more worried bunker-ites should get.

Edited by dudacek

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Future Considerations released their final rankings: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-final-ranking-for-2016-nhl-draft/

1. Matthews

2. Laine

3. Puljujarvi

4. Dubois

5. Tkachuk

6. Chychrun

7. Keller (!!!) :D

8. Nylander

9. Sergachev

10. Jost

Rankings are all over the place after 5, and I really think it points to the tier of talent being basically equal, just a matter of preference. I think somebody relatively unexpected goes before us.

I've been comparing Chychrun to Bogo for awhile now.
What hadn't really registered with me until now is that maybe GMTM acquired Bogo because he is a GMTM kind of defenceman (sorry, Blue) - Ceci, Cowan and Karlsson were his Senator high picks on D, if that means anything.

Given our established love for athletes, our need for left-handed D, the unlikelihood of Serge, the players who will be available when we are picking, and Hoss's great gossip on connections, I will now be shocked if we don't take him.

Would not have been my pick - it may surprise some given my Defence of Bogo, but I like Juolevi-style blue liners - but as I have said earlier on in this thead, in Tim I trust.

I've thought for awhile now Chychrun would be the pick if available, unless something crazy happens like Tkachuck/Dubois falling.

Explain

I don't think Guhle has anywhere near the offensive talent to be a top pairing defenseman, that's all. 2nd pair is his ceiling, really.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Agreed.

Guhle and McCabe also fit the Bogo mould - athletes who are going to make errors of commission, not omission. The more I think about it, the more worried bunker-ites should get.

And the organization clearly doesn't value Pysyk much. I love Murray, but depending how this offseason goes, I may officially become worried about his evaluation of defensemen.

And the organization clearly doesn't value Pysyk much. I love Murray, but depending how this offseason goes, I may officially become worried about his evaluation of defensemen.

Why would you care about Pysyk? He has shown very little offensively. I respect your position on Guhle but he seems to be much more willing to join the rush than Pysyk

Why would you care about Pysyk? He has shown very little offensively. I respect your position on Guhle but he seems to be much more willing to join the rush than Pysyk

Pysyk is smart and safe. Goes to the right spot and moves the puck quickly up to the forwards.

It's a necessary skill in this era of hockey, and Risto may the only other guy in the organization who is good at it, although from limited viewings it could be Nelson's greatest strength as well.

Pysyk is not going to lead many end-to-end rushes, nor is he going to drive the net hard and pick up rebounds, nor will he bomb in goals from the point. But what he will do, which is crucial to team offense (even if it doesn't show up on the individual stat sheet), is effectively transition the puck with quick/smart choices and accurate passes. He's one of two defensemen we have who can consistently transition the puck up the ice with passing.

Pysyk is smart and safe. Goes to the right spot and moves the puck quickly up to the forwards.

It's a necessary skill in this era of hockey, and Risto may the only other guy in the organization who is good at it, although from limited viewings it could be Nelson's greatest strength as well.

Hey look, we agree on a defenseman! :beer:

Pysyk is not going to lead many end-to-end rushes, nor is he going to drive the net hard and pick up rebounds, nor will he bomb in goals from the point. But what he will do, which is crucial to team offense (even if it doesn't show up on the individual stat sheet), is effectively transition the puck with quick/smart choices and accurate passes. He's one of two defensemen we have who can consistently transition the puck up the ice with passing.

Hey look, we agree on a defenseman! :beer:

I think then that Juolevi would be your choice as the top damn in this years draft. Can't say you would be wrong

Just by quickly looking at the testing results. I think we have to add 2 names to the list of 2nd round picks

1) Samuel Girard

2) Luke Green.

Both scored well in multiple tests - though I would say neither as good as Guhle did last year.

I think then that Juolevi would be your choice as the top damn in this years draft. Can't say you would be wrong

Just by quickly looking at the testing results. I think we have to add 2 names to the list of 2nd round picks

1) Samuel Girard

2) Luke Green.

Both scored well in multiple tests - though I would say neither as good as Guhle did last year.

Yup, Juolevi is my guy as far as the defensemen go. Love his game to pieces.

Not a frequent poster but I wanted to thank you all for posting about the prospects in the last few drafts. I like hockey, but up until the last few years the draft was 'eh' for me. Bunch of guys I had never seen, most of which i had never heard of before.

Earlier this year it was which one of the top 3 D-man will fall to us at 8. Now, if i read this right, Crusader has two being available and we go for a winger of whom I have had prior knowledge (thanks to many here).  And now Liger has me thinking seriously about second round prospects.  

I find myself coming back to this thread several times a day. 

Many thanks. 

This is a great testament to SabreSpace! Nice job to all posters. Even if you're wrong :w00t:

Juolevi is my choice if I got to choose from all 3. He fits what we need more than Chychrun does.

That being said, if Bogo + a 3rd could get us Barrie, Chychrun would actually work rather well even if he becomes another Bogo. Bogo + Chychrun = bad, 1 or the other is fine. A defense with 1 physical guy who can skate well is better than one without that. If only Sergachev remains at #8, I think we take a forward like Dubois, Tychuck, or Nylander; I just doubt GMTM takes the Russian. Who knows though.

2nd Round I want Cam Dineen, get him! Regardless of the 1st rounder's position. 

I take Clayton over any of those 4 and that's just not me be crazy. At least I hope it isn't.

It's definitely not crazy. But we won't be selecting Keller.

I believe it was Brawndo who posted about rumblings he has heard, and, I believe, Hoss.

If anyone important in the organization thinks Guhle has legitimate top pair potential, I may just opt to go over the Falls on a pool noodle.

As long as it's not one of those cheap ones that break in half 5 minutes after getting wet.

Not responding to this post specifically. But Chychrun seems to be getting a bad rap around here. I get why, but he's a guy that definitely has the skills to move the puck up ice and in the offensive zone, whether with passing or his skating. And he's a physical force as well. I think he's more talented than a Bogosian and more highly regarded prospect, even if Bogo did go 3rd overall. Chychrun will be different than Bogo, and a better player. I'm reasonably confident in that.

Also, Murray spoke at length about his desires for a power play QB of a D-man. It would be wrong of us to pigeon-hole him as a guy who's only after a specific type of Bogo-like defencemen.

Chychrun has the most upside of the 3 dmen and the fact he was ranked #2 going into the season indicates that probably. I like mostly everything about the FIN, and he had the best year of the 3 BUT he has very limited physicality to his game. Maybe is doesn't matter but it's a red flag to me. As for Guhle, he's barely 19 so it's ridiculous for any of us to declare him a top pair dman or, for that matter, say he doesn't have the potential for that. He was the 2nd best athlete at the combine last year (Jack was #1) and progressed nicely in juniors this year.

You honestly can't see why anybody may prefer to take the arguably superior prospect? Really? You love Chychrun, that's fine, but there's no reason to pretend he clearly has more value when it's not even remotely clear that that's the case.

I can see why Nylander is appealing and BPA is probably the most plausible argument for this area of the draft.  I just look and see the teams that win year in and year out and its based on mobility in defense, fluidity of transition and that championships are built on the health and depth/strength of your defense. Nylander would make a lot of sense for sure.  I don't even dislike him as a prospect.  I will look more at Dineen...maybe my focus has been so limited on the D at the top of the draft.  

1) Samuel Girard

2) Luke Green.

Girard is scrawny as can be.  Eh, I want size and strength in the D core.  We have Guhle and Nelson for the finesse D.  

Just tossing it out there... Brandon Guhle is 6'2" 190lbs so he isn't exactly little. 

When it comes to defense, I need 2 of three things. Strength/Size, Hockey IQ, or skating.  Those are most list of things outside of 'can play hockey' that I look for. 

I can see why Nylander is appealing and BPA is probably the most plausible argument for this area of the draft.  I just look and see the teams that win year in and year out and its based on mobility in defense, fluidity of transition and that championships are built on the health and depth/strength of your defense. Nylander would make a lot of sense for sure.  I don't even dislike him as a prospect.  I will look more at Dineen...maybe my focus has been so limited on the D at the top of the draft.  

Girard is scrawny as can be.  Eh, I want size and strength in the D core.  We have Guhle and Nelson for the finesse D.  

Guhle was one of the strongest guys at the combine last year.

Musculoskeletal: Bench Press 70-80% of Body Weight (# of reps)  

Rank

Player Result 1 Jesse Gabrielle 20 2 Erik Foley 17 3 Connor Hobbs 17 4 Jack Eichel 16 5 Travis Konecny 16 6 Evgeny Svechnikov 16 7 Brendan Guhle 15 8 Kyle Connor 15 9 Noah Hanifin 15 10 Kameron Kielly 15

Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive (max #)

Rank

Player Result 1 Dennis Yan 14 2 Travis Konecny 13 3 Brendan Guhle 12 4 Brendan Warren 12 5 Jordan Greenway 12 6 Felix Sandstrom 12 7 Erik Foley 12 8 Nathan Noel 12 9 Kyle Connor 12 10 Brandon Carlo 11

• Prince Albert Raiders defenceman Brendan Guhle was the biggest standout, with nine top 10 finishes, including first in the standing long jump and the peak power output tests
Edited by Crusader1969

Yeah, Guhle has the athletic chops and can skate with anyone. If princess Dion didn't concuss him last preseason, I'm convinced he would have gotten his 9 game look-see in the bigs. He was having as good a camp as anyone, really, especially the rookies. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is his profile from Elite Prospects.

BRENDAN GUHLE  3.png 40.png

icon_print.png views: 18989

BIRTHYEAR 1997-07-29 BIRTHPLACE Edmonton, AB, CAN AGE 18 NATION Canada POSITION D SHOOTS L HEIGHT 188 cm / 6'2" WEIGHT 84 kg / 185 lbs CONTRACT 18/19 NHL DRAFT 2015 round 2 #51 overall by Buffalo Sabres phiq.png 

A heads-up defenseman who can really take a beating and dish it out as well. Built like a tank; grueling play doesn't phase him. Calm, collected, and poised with the puck; great body and stick positioning without the puck. Reliable at both ends of the ice and can be trusted with a hefty amount of ice time. All-in-all, a defenseman who strives to be difficult to play against, consistently, with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

He has a few fights while at Prince Albert but after watching a couple I think he may want to talk to Razor for some help.

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.