2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Interestingly though if you run the math, Jack and Auston played their last year of USDP at almost the same age Keller played this year. Keller was roughly 17.2 years old when the season started and Auston was roughly 17.06 years old and Jack was 16.95 years old. Keller is super young, so the math supports the idea he's possibly the best player at #8. 

Matthews did beat Jack in the USDP but the NHL isn't the USDP and I think that year in college will be better for Eichel than a year in the Swiss league will be for Matthews.  Clayaton Keller on the other hand had 1 less goal than Jack did in the USP.

Also... If you actually run the math on PPG...

Matthews: 1.933ppg, 62games extrapolated from 60games = 119.9points

Keller: 1.726ppg, 62games extrapolated from 62games = 107points

Eichel: 1.642ppg, 62games extrapolated from 53games = 101.8points

I'm really surprised Keller isn't getting more love from the scouting community.  His numbers are off the friggen chart.  He's undersized but not tiny.  For him to be a 'reach' at 8 continues to baffle me.

If you want to meet a few of the prospects Jakob Chyrchrun, Kieffer Bellows, Lucas Johansen and Adam Fox will join Rob Ray, Danny Gare and Rene Robert in MLK Park at 3 p.m. to plant some trees.

Edited by Hoss

I'm really surprised Keller isn't getting more love from the scouting community.  His numbers are off the friggen chart.  He's undersized but not tiny.  For him to be a 'reach' at 8 continues to baffle me.

His numbers are roughly equivalent to Sam Reinhart's WHL numbers from his draft year (1.75ppg). Now take that will a grain of salt because the WHL is ranked higher than the USDP but still, Keller is good.

Nobody directly involved has directly told me anything. Lots of dot connecting and winks and nudges.

Nothing personal but I hope you are wrong. I think Chychrun will be a disappointment if taken in the top 10. His hockey IQ does not match his skill and size imho.

Everything I'm hearing leads me to strongly believe Chychrun is Murray's guy.

I'd be good with this. He's my favourite of the D, and I think the only of the D that has the potential to actually be a top 5 draft talent. Drafting Chychrun for the future, and signing Goligoski or Yandle for now, would go a long way towards shoring up our left D side.

Nothing personal but I hope you are wrong. I think Chychrun will be a disappointment if taken in the top 10. His hockey IQ does not match his skill and size imho.

I hope he's wrong too. I'd be happy with it if we traded back in for Keller though. Still, Juolevi and Keller make it a perfect draft for me

I think, after thinking a lot about it, I take the smartest defender of the big 3. That would be my deciding factor. I think Juolevi is the smartest. Well I have and still do like Chy more, I think Juolevi will be a better pro

There is some sense to it.  Juolevi may not be the fastest, the most skilled or the flashiest, but he plays a solid unnoticeable game.  His passes are right on, and he skates well.  He reminds me a lot of a younger Timonen.  Again, this is only based on the eye test.  Stats may tell me I'm wrong.  Chychrun just has the boom appeal, and I love what I saw in his speed, transition game.  He does have a bit to work on just like any of the top 3-4 D.

Shouldn't matter but will it?

Actually, having 1st hand experience (primarily through the owners' kids but also to a degree through the owners can only be a good thing) w/ him away from the rink should only be a good thing. They know better than most scouts what type of a kid/person he is.

IF he's still on the board, that information will be a factor in the choice. It won't be the primary factor but it will be one. And it only becomes an issue if they take him and he busts or they pass and he turns into Hedman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.