2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Okay, I've submitted this thought before, and the answers I have received, although well-explained, have not satisfied (sorry, TBPhD).  Let's take this possible line-up:

Kane                 McEichel         Ennis

Moulson           Girgensons      ROR     

Foligno             Reinhart          Gionta

Deslauriers       Larsson          McCormick

Riso     Georges

Bogo    Pysyk

Weber  (more than likely) Zadarov

Goalie....mmm someone okay.

How can anyone look at the roster and expect only a modest increase in position at the end of next season?  Yes, I am aware that a 25 point increase from this season would be marvelous, but that works out to be in the upper 20's standings-wise.  But, I look at that roster and I think that if all other things are stable (coaching, administration, injuries), a roster with that kind of talent should be able to get it together by Christmas, no?  And from there, they should be able to compete for a wildcard slot their first year together, no?  I mean, if they can't, then I might want to question the assembled talent.

The only 2 reasons that lineup won't be in the playoffs is they are extremely young, especially up the middle & on D, and there is likely  not quality tending.  

No reason they can't win 15 more games next year.  Problem is, they need to win closer to 25 more next year to be in the dance.

Yost's point was that LA would match on Tofoli but would because if that have to pass on Jones.

I thought he said there was a chance they let both walk because of their cap situation being what it is but that if they matched one it would be Toffoli because of Quick? Edited by Bills12Sabres11

The only 2 reasons that lineup won't be in the playoffs is they are extremely young, especially up the middle & on D, and there is likely  not quality tending.

No reason they can't win 15 more games next year.  Problem is, they need to win closer to 25 more next year to be in the dance.

I think this will be the biggest detriment to our team next year unless Murray addresses it this offseason. 

Okay, I've submitted this thought before, and the answers I have received, although well-explained, have not satisfied (sorry, TBPhD).  Let's take this possible line-up:

Riso     Georges

Bogo    Pysyk

How can anyone look at the roster and expect only a modest increase in position at the end of next season?  Yes, I am aware that a 25 point increase from this season would be marvelous, but that works out to be in the upper 20's standings-wise.  But, I look at that roster and I think that if all other things are stable (coaching, administration, injuries), a roster with that kind of talent should be able to get it together by Christmas, no?  And from there, they should be able to compete for a wildcard slot their first year together, no?  I mean, if they can't, then I might want to question the assembled talent.

I think if we trade for Ryan O'Reilly you will see one of those roster players moved in that trade. Foligno would be my guess or maybe you get lucky and Roy likes Hodgson.  Either way I can't see us carrying that many lw's 

Riso     Georges

Bogo    Pysyk

Here's the thing. This roster better be capable of contending for a playoff spot, because we've fired all our bullets.

There may be trades. A Bailey or  Fasching or a McCabe may strengthen the middle of the roster but there are no more heroes coming.

That group may be young, but that is the core of our team moving forward.

Edited by dudacek

I think this will be the biggest detriment to our team next year unless Murray addresses it this offseason. 

I think if we trade for Ryan O'Reilly you will see one of those roster players moved in that trade. Foligno would be my guess or maybe you get lucky and Roy likes Hodgson.  Either way I can't see us carrying that many lw's 

Would take a lot more than a 3rd liner to get that deal done. 

That's how I see it. The goaltending is a complete wildcard though. One thing that will be interesting to see is how all these guys fit together. How quickly will the chemistry come together if at all. They could add leadship in free agemcy, possibly. But let's not discount the enthusiasm of youth. Their energy might carry them far.

Here's the thing. This roster better be capable of contending for a playoff spot, because we've fired all our bullets.

There may be trades. A Bailey or  Fasching or a McCabe may strengthen the middle of the roster but there are no more heroes coming.

That group may be young, but that is the core of our team moving forward.

If the top line is Kane McDavid and Ennis that's a scary line........ speed, power, dangling.

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Moulson - Girgensons - ROR

Grigorenko - Reinhart - Joel Ward

Deslauriers - Larsson - Gionta

Francois Beauchemin - Ristolainen

Gorges - Bogosian

Johnny Oduya - Pysyk

Weber

Niemi - O'Connor

I'm signing Joel Ward, Johnny Oduya and Francois Beauchemin. Two older vets who will help teach the kids while making us more competitive as a team.

Trading Marcus Foligno, Jake McCabe, late 1st and a second for Ryan O'Reilly.

Edit: changed Zadorov. The more I think about it the more I think it's either Rochester or elsewhere for him. He needs time in the AHL. He's been inexcusably bad at times (I know D4rk won't like that).

Edited by Tank

Riso     Georges

Bogo    Pysyk

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you believe that line-up can compete for a play-off spot next year. You will have 2 rookies playing Centre (no matter how good they will eventually become they are still rookies) and assuming they actually finish last - still not comfortable calling this thing over. Plus, the D will need at least another year to mature and there still isn't a goalie.

I think jump into the high 70's / low 80s finishing around 20th would be a good season for the Sabres.

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you believe that line-up can compete for a play-off spot next year. You will have 2 rookies playing Centre (no matter how good they will eventually become they are still rookies) and assuming they actually finish last - still not comfortable calling this thing over. Plus, the D will need at least another year to mature and there still isn't a goalie.

I think jump into the high 70's / low 80s finishing around 20th would be a good season for the Sabres.

And then they win the new draft lottery and get Austin Matthews. 

And then they win the new draft lottery and get Austin Matthews.

Ok, let's slow down a little! Lol

Forget about how young they are, if two things fall into place they will be contending for a playoff spot

1) they keep finding goaltenders that stop the puck. Strangely enough, that has not been a huge part of the tank.

2) they make the power play work well. say top third of the league. I say this believing they will already be scoring more goals even strength

Why is it that anytime someone has ROR coming to Buffalo, they have Zemgus centering him? O'Reilly has a much higher FO% and isn't a righty so it isn't any more advantageous to put him in the RW over Girgs

For me it was because I had Reinhart centering him but then made a quick switch with him and Zemgus for the start of the season.

Moulson            Reinhart          Hodgson (!)   

Foligno              ROR               Girgensons      

Deslauriers       Larsson           Gionta

Bogo      Gorges

Risto      Zadorov

Weber    Pysyk

Best UFA goalie

I know people are going to question my placement of Hodgson and the ROR/Girgensons, but I think this fits their roles much better. Hodgson was our leading scorer last year, and his game would work as the RW on a sheltered scoring line. The ROR/Girgensons line is the shutdown line, and I think those three would get a lot of ice time with tough minutes against the opponent's top line. ROR gets the center role due to faceoff ability/experience. The fourth line is more of a shutdown line 2, rather than the traditional muck it up grinders. If you want more muscle I suppose McCormick can come in as C. Note that Gionta is there for purely leadership/role model as I feel he has lost a step or two.

Moulson            

I know people are going to question my placement of Hodgson and the ROR/Girgensons, but I think this fits their roles much better. Hodgson was our leading scorer last year, and his game would work as the RW on a sheltered scoring line. The ROR/Girgensons line is the shutdown line, and I think those three would get a lot of ice time with tough minutes against the opponent's top line. ROR gets the center role due to faceoff ability/experience. The fourth line is more of a shutdown line 2, rather than the traditional muck it up grinders. If you want more muscle I suppose McCormick can come in as C. Note that Gionta is there for purely leadership/role model as I feel he has lost a step or two.

I like Gionta centering that third line

Moulson            Reinhart          Hodgson (!)   

Foligno              ROR               Girgensons      

Deslauriers       Larsson           Gionta

Bogo      Gorges

Risto      Zadorov

Weber    Pysyk

Best UFA goalie

I'd be more than happy with that line-up to start the year. Weber on defense would be the only thing that bothered me, but I guess that's where TP money comes into play. That third line would be a dominate defensive zone group who can matchup well against anyone and I think with CoHo getting time on that second line he would be right back to where he was before. 

Because it's where he fits best now

That's what they said about Leino.

He doesn't "best fit" there now. He best fits on right wing considering our lack of depth there. Why would his best fit be at a position of strength (assuming we add McEichel) vs a position of weakness?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.