Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers
McCormick-Larsson

Gorges-Risto
Donovan-Bogosian
Weber-Pysyk
Colaiacovo

Lehner

Johnson

We appear to have a weak left side and at very least a moderate right side.

Updated 2015-2016 Lineup

Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis

Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons

McGinn-Reinhart-Gionta

Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers

McCormick-Larsson

Gorges-Risto

Donovan-Bogosian

Weber-Pysyk

Colaiacovo

Lehner

Johnson

We appear to have a weak left side and at very least a moderate right side.

That D looks suspect to me as well.

Deslauriers is an emergency Dman at the NHL level nothing more, nothing less.

One guy I wonder if we could acquire is Brian Campbell as a stopgap. to give McCabe another year to season. He may be 36, and he may not be a defensive mastermind but he still puts up commendable points and hasn't missed 1 game in the last 4 seasons. He still eats alot of minutes and has a Ring, one year left on his contract at about 7.2mil. He shouldn't be immensely expensive and could fill in the roll at the top D pair for 1 year I'd assume.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres are the ones who offered the "deal" that Oduya is sitting on.  If so, and if the Black Hawks can't clear the cap space to re-sign him - problem solved.

If its not Oduya - I'd still like them to be patient and wait for more teams to enter "cap-hell". With 4 second rounders next year the Sabres would be in great shape to pry loose a the Defeceman they want.

Hawks already in Cap Hell

Rangers, Canadians, Canucks, Blues, Wild, Bruins could find themselves desperate soon.

Edited by Crusader1969

Murray says that he has offers out to UFA Defensemen. Oduya is probably (hopefully) one of them.

My thinking is in line with Liger's. If Murray doesn't get exactly what he is looking for in free agency, then he's probably going to see what he can make work as a cheap and short contract stop gap (colaiacovo and Donovan). By doing this he's also giving untested youngsters a chance to show if they've got a future inthe NHL.

I am sure he's made calls on trades, but at this point he's not giving up the farm for one. They're not at that point in the roster building process.

Patience.

I would guess he has an offer out to Oduya.  It is probably really good money but for short term 3yrs or less.  If that is the case, I would also ponder that Murray looks for this team to win a cup in exactly 3 years.  

Again, if I were Murray, I would take a shot at Oduya and then if that fails look for a young college defender buried behind a ton of other guys.

I would guess he has an offer out to Oduya.  It is probably really good money but for short term 3yrs or less.  If that is the case, I would also ponder that Murray looks for this team to win a cup in exactly 3 years.  

Again, if I were Murray, I would take a shot at Oduya and then if that fails look for a young college defender buried behind a ton of other guys.

I'm not a fan of Oduya. I think he works on a team full of superstars and a strong captain. I can see his silly penalties and almost no offense being a problem on a young team trying to learn how to win.

Murray should target McCoshen. I would guess that something like Nick Baptiste and a 3rd in 2016 would get it done or at least start a conversation. Florida needs RW and we need Defense. Perfect trade partners.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/18/ian-mccoshen-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-37/

That doesn't do anything to help us right now. And I still want Baptiste to get a shot here.

That doesn't do anything to help us right now. And I still want Baptiste to get a shot here.

We don't need help right now. We need it in 2017.  2016, doesn't matter.  We could run with the defense we have and that would be fine. It is the end game we need to focus on. McCoshen gets you closer to the end game.  

If not Baptiste maybe you can get them to take Karabacek or Fasching

We don't need help right now. We need it in 2017. 2016, doesn't matter. We could run with the defense we have and that would be fine. It is the end game we need to focus on. McCoshen gets you closer to the end game.

If not Baptiste maybe you can get them to take Karabacek or Fasching

Sure. But the discussion right now is about next year's lineup. And Fasching is at the same level or a better prospect than Baptiste.

I'm interested in McCoshen, but I don't know that it's the type of move Murray is looking for right now.

In reality there's a chance the defense we currently have is equal or slightly better than what we had at the end of last year (which would be very very bad news for Lehner's confidence). I assume we'll be better because addition by subtraction with Mess and Balls gone, but we still need to see what Pysyk can actually do full-time. Weber getting top six minutes isn't going to be great. McCabe may not be ready and we know what we're getting in Rudy (which isn't great). Donovan and Colaiacovo probably aren't NHLers at this point unless they're in the press box for most games (as I expect either will be). Gorges is a large question mark coming back from injury.

I think Murray needs to add a real body to the top six. Not because I think we must compete next year but because I don't think we have enough competent bodies to have defensive success in front of our young goalie. Lehner had terrible confidence issues last year, and I think we need to avoid feeding into that.

Edited by Hoss

Part of his confidence issues were anytime he had a down game he got replaced as #1 gt on his team.  I think Lehner would be fine with the defense we have.  

I would like to add that I am not saying Lehner will be fine, this particular move is the one this summer I question the most. I doubt Lehner and worry he will fail. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.