2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

How far into the season are we before Eichel takes over the reigns as the #1 center? Or is that for next year?

Next year.  Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma are going to protect him and ROR can easily play against teams top lines. I think especially at home Jack Eichel will be well protected.

Speaking up protected how do we like the grit quotient in this lineup?

well after listening to Bylsma and Murray I am guessing this

Kane - ROR - Ennis

Moulson - Eichel - Zemgus

Foligno - Larsson - Reinhart/Gionta

Deslauriers - McCormick - TBD

Sounds like Reinhart will be broken in at RW and that he may also spend some time in Rochester depending on how physically ready for the NHL he is.  He still projects our to be a very good NHL center but at 19 is sounds like Bylsma is going to bring him along slowly.  The real issue I see is Gionta getting bumped due to other options but as he is the only true RW we have, he should see decent ice time.  Cody Hodgson doesn't make this roster.  I can't see a way for Cody to dig out of the Murray hole.  Outside of that I think you could see Zemgus and Eichel splitting time as #2 center but by New Years, this team will actually start settling into how it will look for the next 3-5 years.

I like it except for Reinhart/Gionta.  I'm for letting Reinhart go to center and learn the NHL.  Not sure what to do with Larsson.  Not sure he fits here anymore.  And I question why there is little value for Legwand on the 4th line.  I think it's a great fit for a year.

Edited by Tondas

I like it except for Reinhart/Gionta.  I'm for letting Reinhart go to center and learn the NHL.  Not sure what to do with Larsson.  Not sure he fits here anymore.  And I question why there is little value for Legwand on the 4th line.  I think it's a great fit for a year.

I could see Legwand on the 4th line. I also wish I was confident in saying Reinhart will start at center but judging from what Bylsma has said, Sammy is probably going to start at wing.  

I think they'll run very similar minutes by game 35/40. Eichel's line will get more minutes some nights.

At home, I bet Eichel will get more minutes because they can control his matchups better.  

As in they will switch center roles, or the line Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis will, later on in the season, be the second line? I'm tempted to doubt that only because the winger superiority is easily held by this line as opposed to Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons/Gionta

As in they will switch center roles, or the line Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis will, later on in the season, be the second line? I'm tempted to doubt that only because the winger superiority is easily held by this line as opposed to Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons/Gionta

There's obviously first and second lines and beyond, but they're not so strictly applied purely by TOI. Some nights Eichel's line will be producing more chances and get a bump in ice time. That doesn't mean his line is suddenly the first line or that O'Reilly's is the second line.

And Liger's comment about getting matchups for Eichel at home is very important.

Did I say that? 

It'd make my morning commute much more enjoyable if Liger was on WGR 

In person I am infinitely more sarcastic.  Also Dan Bylsma mentioned the matchup thing in one of his interviews.  It is good point though.  Jack is going to have up and down games while he adjusts tot he speed. Also Jack needs to work on his play away from the puck.  ROR gives the team the ability to allow Jack that time and is something I didn't fully consider, which was a major mistake and flaw to my argument, until after the trade.  In 2-3 years the Sabres will be a team you can't game plan for because we simply have too many weapons.  ROR, Ennis, Zemgus, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane.  In 2 years you will have 6 players who can individually hurt you, now imagine 3 of them coming at you at once.  

Did I say that? 

It'd make my morning commute much more enjoyable if Liger was on WGR 

My apologies WildCard.  I may have to ask for footnotes from Liger before I assume it's his genius and not "borrowed" from others.

So I can't say LGR was smart as well?  Maybe Bylsma and GMTM listen to LGR.

Murray's #3 on speed dial.  Mom and Grandma are #1 and #2

My apologies WildCard.  I may have to ask for footnotes from Liger before I assume it's his genius and not "borrowed" from others.

lol matchups are always important. I thought matchups would save TBL against Chi but that didn't happen.

Murray's #3 on speed dial.  Mom and Grandma are #1 and #2

lol matchups are always important. I thought matchups would save TBL against Chi but that didn't happen.

Liger, how do you rate the matchup between GMTM and GMSB in Chicago.  Can GMTM stand up to him?

Liger, how do you rate the matchup between GMTM and GMSB in Chicago.  Can GMTM stand up to him?

In a fight, I think GMTM wins because I think he would bite your knee caps off.

At being GM, I think we need to see if Murray can manage the cap and star players the way Chicago has.  If Murray can sign ROR and Eichel and Reinhart and Zemgus and Kane and our defense core... we could be talking about the Sabres Dynasty. Or we could be a one pump chump like Shero in Pittsburgh. 

In a fight, I think GMTM wins because I think he would bite your knee caps off.

At being GM, I think we need to see if Murray can manage the cap and star players the way Chicago has.  If Murray can sign ROR and Eichel and Reinhart and Zemgus and Kane and our defense core... we could be talking about the Sabres Dynasty. Or we could be a one pump chump like Shero in Pittsburgh. 

You had me at GMTM "biting your knee caps off".

A few lineup things I heard very clearly from Bylsma and  Murray:

* Legwand is someone they had to take. He will be given a shot to make the team, but he's not on it, he's going to have to earn it.

* McGinn is someone they wanted. He is expected to have a role on the team and Bylsma is happy to have him.

* Reinhart is expected to be on the team. He will have to play himself off.

* Girgensons and Larsson are the first guys they are looking at to shift to the wing

* They have a "plan" for Hodgson and (unlike Leino and Ehrhoff) it apparently wasn't putting him on waivers to buy him out the morning after the draft. 

I haven't heard any recent talk from either Murray or Bylsma about Gionta, but you guys pencilling him in the fourth line are fooling yourself. He is the captain, has two years left on his contract and was one of the most effective forwards down the stretch. He is expected to lead and I will be stunned if he is not part of the top nine.

Edited by dudacek

Given your reading comprehension skills I'd assume Liger has to send you a full watered down cliff-notes for you to not make things up.

You're right, both of them did actually. 

Where in there does it say Liger is wrong, or that he borrowed the idea, or that he's an idiot? I guess posting that our coaches agree with him is me telling claiming Liger is a sheep.

A few lineup things I heard very clearly from Bylsma and  Murray:

* Legwand is someone they had to take. He will be given a shot to make the team, but he's not on it, he's going to have to earn it.

* McGinn is someone they wanted. He is expected to have a role on the team and Bylsma is happy to have him.

* Reinhart is expected to be on the team. He will have to play himself off.

* Girgensons and Larsson are the first guys they are looking at to shift to the wing

* They have a "plan" for Hodgson and (unlike Leino and Ehrhoff) it apparently wasn't putting him on waivers to buy him out the morning after the draft. 

I haven't heard any recent talk from either Murray or Bylsma about Gionta, but you guys pencilling him in the fourth line are rolling yourself. He is the captain, has two years left on his contract and was one of the most effective forwards down the stretch. He is expected to lead and I will be stunned if he is not part of the top nine.

Gionta is an enigma for me, most of all his captaincy. I feel playing him on the 4th line diminishes his stature in the locker room; coupled with him being one of the few actual RW we have and Reinhart needing a vet presence on his wings when he does finally center I think Gionta plays on the 3rd RW most of, if not all, the year. 

In person I am infinitely more sarcastic.  Also Dan Bylsma mentioned the matchup thing in one of his interviews.  It is good point though.  Jack is going to have up and down games while he adjusts tot he speed. Also Jack needs to work on his play away from the puck.  ROR gives the team the ability to allow Jack that time and is something I didn't fully consider, which was a major mistake and flaw to my argument, until after the trade.  In 2-3 years the Sabres will be a team you can't game plan for because we simply have too many weapons.  ROR, Ennis, Zemgus, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane.  In 2 years you will have 6 players who can individually hurt you, now imagine 3 of them coming at you at once.  

It is definitely something to look for next season. I was right there with you advocating staying away from RoR, but there's no denying that his addition allows for Eichel and Reinhart to have more favorable match-ups and therefore a less steep learning curve. It may be the most important thing he does for us that can't be tangibly tracked. 

Remember when the Sabres were that team (of the bold) back in 2006-07? That was so much fun to watch other teams struggle against our 3rd line.

There's obviously first and second lines and beyond, but they're not so strictly applied purely by TOI. Some nights Eichel's line will be producing more chances and get a bump in ice time. That doesn't mean his line is suddenly the first line or that O'Reilly's is the second line.

And Liger's comment about getting matchups for Eichel at home is very important.

Good point, I got fixated on having a hierarchy of lines

All I'm seeing here are lineups will will convince me to pay for center ice this year.  Thanks for that.

One quick thought while reading through random comments about Legwand: he could be a useful guy to have as an injury callup from Rochester.  At a specific time in the season, being able to recall someone with that level of experience could be a very good thing.

Kane — O’Reilly — Ennis

Moulson — Eichel — Girgensons

Foligno — Reinhart — Gionta

Deslauriers — Larsson — McGinn

(Legwand, McCormick)

Gorges — Ristolainen

McCabe — Bogosian 

(UFA)  — Pysyk  

(Weber)

Lehner

Johnson

Girgensons on the right-hand side? He played out on the left last year (?).

From a handedness standpoint, maybe Reinhart could slide onto Eichel's right and Girgensons center the third line.

Then again, you then you'd have two rookies on the second line. No bueno.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.