GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

I think the thing with Weber is he is fully invested.

He gives it everything he has for the team and the fanbase and it matters to him tremendously.

You and are aren't wearing a big yellow "worst team in the league" banner every time we walk out in public.

You and I aren't being called embarrassments to the city.

What do we expect?   Do we expect the players to brush it off and say it doesn't bother them when it really does?   I like Gionta's comment, but I don't blame Weber for what he said.   Should he have said it?  Probably not, but wether he says it or not, that's the way he feels and I would expect them all to feel that way.    If it didn't bother them, then I would have a problem with it.   At least we know he has a pulse and that he cares.

He gives it everything he has for the team and the fanbase and it matters to him tremendously.

You and are aren't wearing a big yellow "worst team in the league" banner every time we walk out in public.

I get that, and i don't blame him one iota for what he said and don't hold it against him either. If he is on the team next year, will root as hard for him as i do any other Sabre. But he needs to understand the fan side a bit as well.

Lots of fans are currently being called an embarrassment to the city.

The 'Dead Wings' were a laughing stock for most of the decade prior to that draft.  I think they had as many fans as Arizona does.

The 'Dead Wings' were a laughing stock for most of the decade prior to that draft.  I think they had as many fans as Arizona does.

How many years were the Penguins bad before they drafted Crosby? The Blackhawks made the playoffs once in 10 seasons before Kane & Toews arrived. The Kings missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons before turning things around. The best teams in the NHL today didn't "tank" to get to where they are today and I doubt their fans where cheering the opposition.

Lots of fans are currently being called an embarrassment to the city.

A lot of "people" are being called an embarrassment to the city. The "fans" portion is up for debate.

How many years were the Penguins bad before they drafted Crosby? The Blackhawks made the playoffs once in 10 seasons before Kane & Toews arrived. The Kings missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons before turning things around. The best teams in the NHL today didn't "tank" to get to where they are today and I doubt their fans where cheering the opposition.

I understand - the Sabres need to suffer for another 3 years before they should be rewarded.

I'll agree with you, sort of, if there is a fan base that "deserves" last place, it's this one.

Hopefully this embarrassment will expedite changes to the lottery to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

I have to really hold back here, because I typically enjoy reading all the posts, even ones I disagree with.  I am hoping you mean we as a fan base deserve 30th place because of our long-standing dedication and devotion to this team (allowing us to draft a great player).  If I read it the other way (I think wrongly), you are saying we deserve to have a last place team because of the kind of fans we are?

Perhaps there are fans who are embarrassed by all this.  Not me.  I'll be drinking from my Stanley Cup replica and cheering at the ticker-tape parade in the future as the embarrassed folks shed tears and howl in disdain about how we came to win a championship.

I wouldn't subject the players to ceremonial displays of "appreciation" for fans that actively root against them. If I'm Zach Bogosian, Girgensons or any other player, there is no way I'm skating to center ice raising my stick.

You say that like every single fan in the entire place is rooting against the Sabres. I heard cheers for the Buffalo goals too, did you not? I'm guessing it's 20% actively cheering AZ and 80% sitting quietly on goals. On the Sabres goals, probably 50% cheering. The 30% that aren't cheering either way are like me: conflicted about cheering for either outcome.

I would love for Pegula to stand at center ice and say "I'm sorry, we should have made changes earlier, but that's no reason to be d!cks about it" and drop the mic and walk off the ice. It would be the greatest moment in Buffalo sports history.

Like something more substantial than an adjustment of percentages.

Next year, if you finish last, you're only slightly better than a coin-flip to pick in the top 3. 40% chance that you're picking 4th. That's pretty F'N drastic already.

I wouldn't subject the players to ceremonial displays of "appreciation" for fans that actively root against them. If I'm Zach Bogosian, Girgensons or any other player, there is no way I'm skating to center ice raising my stick.

Maybe Bogosian and Girgensons think the fans are actively rooting for them to play with a generational talent starting next year.

How many years were the Penguins bad before they drafted Crosby?

Not many. Crosby wasn't that long after the Kasparitis goal in 2001.

ugh, this formatted better in the box!

Team, Points and Player

Years Pit Pit Buf

Before Lemieux Crosby McEichle

5 73 96 96

4 73 69 89

3 75 65 84 **

2 45 58 52

1 38 0* 54 ***

* Lottery after lockout cancelled Season -- Historical note: Sabres had same chance as Pit.

** Lockout shortened; projected.

*** Guestimate.

Edited by Neo

Bucky's column from June, 2013 and an excerpt. Hmm. 

http://www.buffalonews.com/20130623/Bucky_Gleason_cleans_house_as_Sabres_x2019_GM_for_a_day.html

The general manager should be doing what’s best for the team. If the team is going nowhere, you plan for the future. Regier talked about creating a new foundation starting with the Gaustad trade. Regier didn’t know how to properly guide his team to the bottom and, thus, increase its chances for the top pick overall.

Fans have suffered enough.

And that’s why you need me.

GO SABRES!!!

You say that like every single fan in the entire place is rooting against the Sabres. I heard cheers for the Buffalo goals too, did you not? I'm guessing it's 20% actively cheering AZ and 80% sitting quietly on goals. On the Sabres goals, probably 50% cheering. The 30% that aren't cheering either way are like me: conflicted about cheering for either outcome.

Next year, if you finish last, you're only slightly better than a coin-flip to pick in the top 3. 40% chance that you're picking 4th. That's pretty F'N drastic already.

I would go with all 14 non-playoff teams having an equal chance. Make it a true lottery. All top 14 draft positions are decided at random.

I would go with all 14 non-playoff teams having an equal chance. Make it a true lottery. All top 14 draft positions are decided at random.

Which would give a borderline playoff squad an incentive to get to 9th/10th in their conference rather than give a real bad team an incentive to get extremely bad. To my view, that is worse for competitive balance.

There is a huge difference between accepting that things have to be a certain way and going into the home building wearing Coyote gear or defaced Sabres gear and actively rooting for your team to lose. I don't give a rat's a$$ how much you paid for a ticket, it doesn't give you the right to act like a scumbag. I applaud Mike Weber and I have never been a Andrew Peters fan but in this case he is dead on.

Hopefully last night will be a rallying point for the guys in this locker room causing them to go on a tear over the final 8 games. There are just enough winnable games for the roster to give a big FU to the "fans."

If the Pegula's have any "Fan Appreciation" scheduled for April 11th, I hope they have the good sense to cancel them.

my worry that cocky behavior has consequence... i hope this does NOT happen

I get the impression some fans won't be able to root for the Sabres for as long as one of McDeichel is on the team. Their moral compass just won't allow it. We can look forward to 15 years of derisive posts from those fans as a result. 

In the meantime, those that understand that doing our best to acquire one of them is nothing more than a strategy to improve the long range prospects of the team; a strategy long employed across the spectrum of sports and the teams that compete in them. Like Bucky said, you gotta plan for the future by getting to the bottom. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.