GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

Couldn't disagree more.  The players on the borderline playoff squad won't care about the draft pick, and is any GM going to pass up a chance to make the playoffs over a 7.1% chance at the first pick?  Of course not.  People's jobs and futures are on the line.

Keep in mind how unusual this year is.  We get a Connor McDavid-type player maybe once every 10 years.  A 7.1% chance at the first pick in a normal draft year is nothing to plan around.

Plus, let's never forget that this is showbusiness.  Imagine if the NHL held this lottery one hour before the draft: 14 balls in the hopper and you draw 14th overall first, 13th overall second, etc.  Fans in 14 NHL cities would be glued to the TV before the draft even began.

And no one would ever cheer against their team.

Except there already are myriad instances where teams that are close trade away current assets and load up for the future.  By equally weighting the odds in the lottery, they are increasing the incentive to have more teams do this.

Perhaps the Kings' playing borderline hockey and then winning the SC changes the calculus, but there have absolutely been teams in the hunt that threw in the towel at the deadline.

Since the Lemieux draft in the mid-80's, there've been probably about 5 true tank jobs (including this year).  The lottery fixes a problem that only rarely exists.

And this next statement is not directed towards you specifically but to a comment I've read multiple times, here being the latest: absolutely nobody believes that players tank on purpose.  The decision to tank is made at the management level.   Using the fact the the players aren't going to tank does nothing to support or debunk an argument.  Sorry, that is a personal pet peeve.

Since the Lemieux draft in the mid-80's, there've been probably about 5 true tank jobs (including this year).  The lottery fixes a problem that only rarely exists.

I can think of Lemieux, Lindros, Yashin (well, Ottawa for at least 2 years around the Yashin draft IMO), now McEichel.  Not sure what others were obvious tanks.  And IMO that is enough frequency to provide disincentive for it.  The fans of teams across the league should not be subject to Buffalo or Phoenix in their barns.

I think teams tank every season... It's just not as drastic as the Sabres. Some do it around the trade deadline when they cut off some assets. Some do it in the offseason when they sell off their core that simply hasn't worked out for a while.

It happens more than we think because tankers don't always finish last and the prizes aren't always as big.

I can think of Lemieux, Lindros, Yashin (well, Ottawa for at least 2 years around the Yashin draft IMO), now McEichel.  Not sure what others were obvious tanks.  And IMO that is enough frequency to provide disincentive for it.  The fans of teams across the league should not be subject to Buffalo or Phoenix in their barns.

Phoenix just won it's last 2 games in the other guy's barn.  So those fans of the other 2 squads saw a bad team give their boys a game.

I think teams tank every season... It's just not as drastic as the Sabres. Some do it around the trade deadline when they cut off some assets. Some do it in the offseason when they sell off their core that simply hasn't worked out for a while.

It happens more than we think because tankers don't always finish last and the prizes aren't always as big.

Incoming tanking versus rebuilding argument #5000.

Teams regularly sell off assets to rebuild, but the scorched earth approach the Sabres have taken is quite rare. I don't care what teams do, but I do think there's a difference.

Incoming tanking versus rebuilding argument #5000.

Teams regularly sell off assets to rebuild, but the scorched earth approach the Sabres have taken is quite rare. I don't care what teams do, but I do think there's a difference.

I agree that there's a difference, but I still think tanking happens every year. Or at least nearly every year. Teams make conscious decisions to move out talent and to not bring immediate help in while pursuing higher draft picks.

Tank-busting isn't going to happen because it ignores the best business interests of the league.

The NHL sells its customers hope and dreams of glory. McEichel is why the Sabres' fan base has endured this miserable season; it may be hockey's only hope in the desert. Most of the league is not Toronto and Edmonton. Most fan bases that have fallen on hard times need a reason to come back next season.

I apologize for not making it to this most important Game Day Thread.  As always, I will stand in your corner, I may even fight a round or two with thee fellow winners against the so-called losers.  It's just that Thursday is all you can bowl night at the Family Lanes in Lockport.  

It only costs $6.  Apparently, by "all you can bowl," they mean "all you can bowl in the span of three days, no more, Anna, no more."

Edited by Anna Akhmatova

I apologize for not making it to this most important Game Day Thread.  As always, I will stand in your corner, I may even fight a round or two with thee fellow winners against the so-called losers.  It's just that Thursday is all you can bowl night at the Family Lanes in Lockport.  

It only costs $6.  Apparently, by "all you can bowl," they mean "all you can bowl in the span of three days, no more, Anna, no more."

Lockport? If Clip Smith were still around he'd say, "Get your butt out of there, and, oh yeah, your mind out of the (guffaw) gutter."

Tank-busting isn't going to happen because it ignores the best business interests of the league.

The NHL sells its customers hope and dreams of glory. McEichel is why the Sabres' fan base has endured this miserable season; it may be hockey's only hope in the desert. Most of the league is not Toronto and Edmonton. Most fan bases that have fallen on hard times need a reason to come back next season.

Sabre fans "endure" because it's what we do. We have been doing it for 45 years, long before "McEichel" were twinkles in their parents eyes. You point might be true for other fans of other franchises. In Buffalo, we'd all still be here McEichel or not. Because it's who we are and what we do, we endure.

One of my major disappointments from this season is that Minus Weber is still on the club. The time for arguing against tanking has long since passed. It's already happened. We're so far along in it that no amount of winning this year can undo it, only ruin it. Get on board with the plan the FO has in place or get out of the way until the summer. To want to root for failure of that plan at THIS point in time against THAT particular opponent is sedition of the worst type.

Mike Weber would be equally upset if he were playing in front of an empty house, which is what would happen in at least 90% of pro-sports venues across all sports in the middle of back to back seasons of putridity of this variety. If being pissed off about being booed when you dodn't want to be booed was enough to inspire you and the talentless hacks that fill the jerseys I root for right now to rise up and win a massive amount of games, we should have started booing you regularly 2 years ago. I'll take personal responsibility for not booing you, Mike Weber, harder. I felt like I was doing my best in that regard but clearly I as a fan, failed to provide you the motivation you needed to become better at your craft.

If you can't understand the nuance required to grasp that yes, Virginia, sometimes it's good to lose a little more now to win more in the future I don't think we have anything else to discuss.

This is 100% crap.

Get on Mike Weber because he dares to show he cares? Seriously?

One of my major disappointments from this season is that Minus Weber is still on the club. The time for arguing against tanking has long since passed. It's already happened. We're so far along in it that no amount of winning this year can undo it, only ruin it. Get on board with the plan the FO has in place or get out of the way until the summer. To want to root for failure of that plan at THIS point in time against THAT particular opponent is sedition of the worst type.

Mike Weber would be equally upset if he were playing in front of an empty house, which is what would happen in at least 90% of pro-sports venues across all sports in the middle of back to back seasons of putridity of this variety. If being pissed off about being booed when you didn't want to be booed was enough to inspire you and the talentless hacks that fill the jerseys I root for right now to rise up and win a massive amount of games, we should have started booing you regularly 2 years ago. I'll take personal responsibility for not booing you, Mike Weber, harder. I felt like I was doing my best in that regard but clearly I as a fan, failed to provide you the motivation you needed to become better at your craft.

If you can't understand the nuance required to grasp that yes, Virginia, sometimes it's good to lose a little more now to win more in the future I don't think we have anything else to discuss.

That's funny.  Because your argument doesn't strike me as nuanced at all.

Are you sure you know what that word means?  

Either way, funny stuff.

He and the boys are playing some inspired hockey tonight for sure.

Well aren't you a plucky ant?  Very funny.  You should stick around for when the folks rooting for losing have trouble rooting for winning.  It's your brand of comedy that will really be appreciated then.  

I'm one of those hope for winning through the best and worst times, but I recognize comedic talent when I see it.

Edited by Anna Akhmatova

Well done not answering the question posed.  Right now, today, March 28, 2015 who does winning a game benefit? It certainly doesn't benefit the club in any tangible way.

I think if you WERE to see a psychiatrist, she/he would tell you to make the most of what you can affect in the here and the now.  The here and now.  The here and now.

Take stock.  Look around at the here and the now.  

You were on to a very good thing by making us laugh.

Do you know any more jokes?

My bad, I'll go back to lurking.  You and the other 10 people who are allowed to speak go on ahead.  Let me know when you change your handle to something else clever.

Don't feel too bad it seems that one person is having a charade posting as two or three different identities. Anyone can speak here. You just need to be on the right side of the opinionator.

Edited by beerme1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.