GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

It's hard to rip on a guy who gives 110% night in and night out no matter what. I mean how many players are willing to block a slapshot with their face playing for a last place team.

I'm just pointing out that the players knew what this season was about. I guess they are as entitled to vent about it as any of us but let's maintain some perspective. It wasn't going to be a fun or pretty year but the players are compensated for it, and they are playing for their future jobs too. Edited by Promonov Robotnik

I'm just pointing out that the players knew what this season was about. I guess they are as entitled to vent about it as any of us but let's maintain some perspective. It wasn't going to be a fun or pretty year but the players are compensated for it, and they are playing for their future jobs too.

I hear ya, but Kaleta is one guy who risks his future every game he plays. Does he play reckless, yes. But for what he gets paid compared to a Hodgson, he is one dedicated m-fer no matter what. I'll take him on my team anyday.

You also play for a paycheck that's 20 to 50 times larger than the fans cheering you. Boo-frickin-hoo, Pat.

You know I clearly recall days on Sabrespace when this team was fighting for 8th place year after year, and people here demanded management blow the team up. It was "unbearable" watching the Sabres flounder in the middle of the pack. Good times.

Now here we are about to turn the corner, in sight if the finish line, and people are talking ethics?? Spare me.

perfect... just do it in a humble fashion so we dont wake our sh!t team up the last 8 games and have to endure another year of this crap... 

SabresBuzz ‏@SabresBuzz 9m9 minutes ago

Kaleta: "I play for the fans who root for us and the little kids who come to the game & root for the Buffalo Sabres. Thats who I play for"

Heh.  My daughter's 4th grade teacher promised donuts this AM if they lost last night.  

Then I think those players are free to leave.  This isn't a poker hand, this is a chess match.  The media have riled up the fans.  There is over 40 years of losing as baggage.  It's ugly.  If the player can't intellectualize this, then, please, go.  This situation requires thinking to make it through it.

Hamilton doesn't help by, again, taking the undertaker's role and extracting as much grief as possible from the players.

And, frankly, the Sabres played like crap tonight, so what's with the caveat "if the Sabres played poorly..."?  That caveat is invalid.

Exactly.  Well, stay if you are a good player.  But it is surprising how they don't seem to get it.  Not saying they have to like it, but at least figure it out.

I feel like one of these things could happen:

1.  We ride a McEichel to a Cup in some future year because he is indeed a generational player and we build a very solid cast around him.

2.  We become very competitive, make the playoffs on a regular basis, but don't win the Cup despite having a McEichel.  Draft picks and free agency acquisitions help make the Sabres strong for years.

3. McEichel is a bust or gets hurt and the whole tank thing was a waste of time.  Tragic.  Team ends up like in previous years... on the cusp of playoffs but not always there.

This requires faith, folks.  I feel very good that #2 is the likely scenario and #1 is not out of the question.  But it's what GMTM does to build a TOTAL TEAM that dictates the outcome.  End result: my support of the tank is founded on the idea that #3 doesn't happen.  If #3 happens, I eat crow and admit being misguided throughout.

I feel like one of these things could happen:

1.  We ride a McEichel to a Cup in some future year because he is indeed a generational player and we build a very solid cast around him.

2.  We become very competitive, make the playoffs on a regular basis, but don't win the Cup despite having a McEichel.  Draft picks and free agency acquisitions help make the Sabres strong for years.

3. McEichel is a bust or gets hurt and the whole tank thing was a waste of time.  Tragic.  Team ends up like in previous years... on the cusp of playoffs but not always there.

This requires faith, folks.  I feel very good that #2 is the likely scenario and #1 is not out of the question.  But it's what GMTM does to build a TOTAL TEAM that dictates the outcome.  End result: my support of the tank is founded on the idea that #3 doesn't happen.  If #3 happens, I eat crow and admit being misguided throughout.

I'm more worried about #3. I would feel much better with McDavid than Eichel as I think Connor is a sure fire dominant NHLer. I think Eichel will be really good, but I also think he has a better chance at being a bust as well.

BN's arts writer Colin Dabkowski's live tweeting of last night's game was fantastic and hilarious. The tweets are compiled at the link below. 

https://storify.com/thebuffalonews/deconstruction-of-a-canadian-custom-or-coyotes-4-s?utm_content=storify-pingback&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_source=t.co&awesm=sfy.co_r0GvG

Ironic that an arts writer would contribute something far more meaningful than any of Harrington, Gleason, or Sullivan have this season. (I leave Vogl out of it - he's fine.)

If the picture of the fan accompanying this News story doesn't say it all about why some people cheer for the opponent in their own barn, nothing will.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/rooting-for-defeat-brings-a-house-divided-20150326

BN's arts writer Colin Dabkowski's live tweeting of last night's game was fantastic and hilarious. The tweets are compiled at the link below. 

https://storify.com/thebuffalonews/deconstruction-of-a-canadian-custom-or-coyotes-4-s?utm_content=storify-pingback&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_source=t.co&awesm=sfy.co_r0GvG

Ironic that an arts writer would contribute something far more meaningful than any of Harrington, Gleason, or Sullivan have this season. (I leave Vogl out of it - he's fine.)

Yep, no one ever complains about Cheerios.

Honestly if the fans want to pay their hard earned money and cheer for them to fail for McDavid, I'm all for it.  Had I had the time and $ to drive up to Buffalo, I would have been there last night.  However, I had to work a double shift.  LOL.  It is what it is, I get the players side, but to get better we need more of Ennis and less of Kaleta.  We'll find the Pat Kaleta's of the world.  Between Larsson, Deslauriers, and several others in their mid 20's we have a good cast of grinders on the team already.  It's the skill that this team lacks to push them over.  I really loved how Grigorenko has come along with Foligno and Gionta.  He's not getting the results, but he's fitting a niche that he didn't have before. 

Just listened to Howard Simon's rant this morning. He absolutely hits the nail on the head on how duplicitous Bucky Gleason is. He mocked the Sabres for years for being content with finishing eighth. But now he has a problem with the team taking action to fix it? Weak tea, Buck, but par for the course for you.

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

Outstanding!

Just listened to Howard Simon's rant this morning. He absolutely hits the nail on the head on how duplicitous Bucky Gleason is. He mocked the Sabres for years for being content with finishing eighth. But now he has a problem with the team taking action to fix it? Weak tea, Buck, but par for the course for you.

It gets worse for Bucky, a listener emailed one of his GM for a day columns from a few years back where he lambasted DR for not doing enough to ensure a finish at the bottom of the standings and with a better draft pick.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Missed it myself, but about to go to the vault and listen to it. Howard has been having meltdowns all week. He's gonna need to double up on his blood pressure meds.

I root for the crest on the front of the sweater; not for the name on the back of it. 

As a fan I want the team to win championships.  If that means they need to have a bad season to have a much better chance to attain the goal in the end; so be it.

The only thing I care about the name on the back is that that name is the best name to help the team win championships.

It gets worse for Bucky, a listener emailed one of his GM for a day columns from a few years back where he lambasted DR for not doing enough to ensure a finish at the bottom of the standings and with a better draft pick.

Apples and oranges? I know Bucky took a very hard-line, nevernevernever stance on the issue. But making some managerial decisions to "tank" at the end of a season that began with playoff aspirations is a whole different animal than what Regier started and Murray is finishing, innit?

Which is why next year could also be very interesting.

that was good...." for who does one weep?    ... for all."

After some thought, rather than get mad, I'm fully embracing the negative press. Buffalo had always had an us against the world mentality. So being hated like the Bad Boy Pistons or the 2000s Patriots, or the late 90s Yankees? Bring me some wins and bring on the hate baby! Being the bad guys of sports is gonna be fun.

They read part of the article over the air and the audio will be on the GR website soon, but it was something about how fans are compromising their values by rooting for the Sabres to lose.

I don't know what world that idiot (Gleason) lives in, but my values have next to nothing to do with the Sabres or with spectator sports in general.

And Bucky's partner in crime Jerry Sullivan is the one who coined the derisive phrase "heroic run to 9th place".

Bucky was right in one way: the discord is because we're losing.  I have followed the Sabres since their inception and Buffalo fans always demonstrate rabid support of the team when they win.  We are CRAZY GOOD fans when the team has talent and demonstrates effort... and makes the playoffs.  

Traditionally, in down years, we understand some re-tooling is needed, but the expectation is that we're back on a playoff ride in short order.  This situation is different.

From the moment Ryan Miller was crushed by Lucic, the house of cards came down.  Darcy's version of a core-less, near spineless "team" was revealed for all to see.  I advocated then and advocate today the need to strip it all down and start over.  Finish the tank.  Get the pick.  And then WIN.

The love-fest of being a rabid Sabres fans gets re-ignited when we are competitive and make the playoffs again.

Bucky was right in one way: the discord is because we're losing.  I have followed the Sabres since their inception and Buffalo fans always demonstrate rabid support of the team when they win.  We are CRAZY GOOD fans when the team has talent and demonstrates effort... and makes the playoffs.  

Traditionally, in down years, we understand some re-tooling is needed, but the expectation is that we're back on a playoff ride in short order.  This situation is different.

From the moment Ryan Miller was crushed by Lucic, the house of cards came down.  Darcy's version of a core-less, near spineless "team" was revealed for all to see.  I advocated then and advocate today the need to strip it all down and start over.  Finish the tank.  Get the pick.  And then WIN.

The love-fest of being a rabid Sabres fans gets re-ignited when we are competitive and make the playoffs again.

amen... or yea! .. fake egyptian pharoahs bloodlines' son...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.