GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

Next year, people calling out others for being tankers or anti-tankers will be roundly ostracized. What happens in 2014-2015, stays in 2014-2015.

I still hold a grudge against people that were happy the Sabres traded Tom Barrasso.

Our fans are passionate. We have a terrible team. What other team's fans have embraced losing and a rebuild like us with such enthusiasm? Those fans last night were at least educated fans having a good time while watching weber be a bad hockey player. The reason a drastic rebuild is an option for Buffalo is because our fans can tolerate it.

If he didn't like what happened, then the alternative was to boo him for being such a dumbass

Amen. Really - amen.

Our fans are passionate. We have a terrible team. What other team's fans have embraced losing and a rebuild like us with such enthusiasm? Those fans last night were at least educated fans having a good time while watching weber be a bad hockey player. The reason a drastic rebuild is an option for Buffalo is because our fans can tolerate it.

If he didn't like what happened, then the alternative was to boo him for being such a dumbass

This is a key point that I've maintained from the very beginning of all of this.  Other markets simply could not afford to put their fans through such a blatant tank and hope to keep them coming to the games like Buffalo does.

I get Mike Weber frustration about the game last night but let's face it he won't be here in a couple of years and will be replaced by someone better. I know he battles hard and hits a lot more than all of our other defenseman. He needs to understand the business of a total rebuild. He can thank his ex-GM for that or did he forget what Regier said that their would be suffering. I'm a diehard Sabres fan and I'm rooting against them last year and this year knowing what the future of these two drafts will do for an organization. I know longer live in Buffalo and I still support this team. I went to Los Angeles and Anaheim this year to cheer them on. Unfortunately they don't have the talent of all these other teams. You look at a lot of the top teams in the league besides Detriot they have a lot of high end picks on their squad. This draft is like football when Andrew Luck came out. I knew whatever team got him was going to have a franchise changing QB for his organization. It's the same this year in hockey with McDavid and Eichel. Both are superior talents. I think people might be selling Eichel short. We all know about McDavid speed and the way he can change the game but Eichel is also a freshman dominating older players. No matter which player we get I will be a huge supporter of either.

If Weber doesn't like playing in front of Buffalo paying customers, he should go to Murray and request he trade him after the season. I'm sure he would be accommodated.

I don't give a darn what Weber thinks. He is a part of the problem, he's not part of the solution. The only reason he's in the NHL is because he's on a lousy team. None of the paying customers in the crowd are preventing him from doing his job!

The Sabres will improve and be good again and there won't be any sign of Weber. Maybe he is not smart enough to see reality. After the season ends, he can take his talents elsewhere. The future matters. The present failure is a ticket to the future. Weber can be proud that he was on the worst team in Sabres history and he might realize it wasn't the fault of the fans either!!!

This is a key point that I've maintained from the very beginning of all of this.  Other markets simply could not afford to put their fans through such a blatant tank and hope to keep them coming to the games like Buffalo does.

Right.

I think Weber is confusing the cheers for the Coyotes OT goal as cheers against the Sabres, when in reality they are cheers FOR the Sabres and for the future of this team.

I was actually playing ice hockey during the game last night, but I had to bring my phone on the bench (there are a couple of other Buffalo guys on the team as well). I remember thinking when Ennis scored, "Would he really rather have Matt Ellis passing him the puck next year than Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel? THINK ENNIS!" It's weird.

I get Mike Weber frustration about the game last night but let's face it he won't be here in a couple of years and will be replaced by someone better. I know he battles hard and hits a lot more than all of our other defenseman. He needs to understand the business of a total rebuild. He can thank his ex-GM for that or did he forget what Regier said that their would be suffering. I'm a diehard Sabres fan and I'm rooting against them last year and this year knowing what the future of these two drafts will do for an organization. I know longer live in Buffalo and I still support this team. I went to Los Angeles and Anaheim this year to cheer them on. Unfortunately they don't have the talent of all these other teams. You look at a lot of the top teams in the league besides Detriot they have a lot of high end picks on their squad. This draft is like football when Andrew Luck came out. I knew whatever team got him was going to have a franchise changing QB for his organization. It's the same this year in hockey with McDavid and Eichel. Both are superior talents. I think people might be selling Eichel short. We all know about McDavid speed and the way he can change the game but Eichel is also a freshman dominating older players. No matter which player we get I will be a huge supporter of either.

Imagine if the Bills had gone 1-15 instead of 6-10 in 2011. Would we be lamenting that horrible Bills season right now, or planning for the Super Bowl around Andrew Luck with our defense and playmakers?

Right.

I think Weber is confusing the cheers for the Coyotes OT goal as cheers against the Sabres, when in reality they are cheers FOR the Sabres and for the future of this team.

I was actually playing ice hockey during the game last night, but I had to bring my phone on the bench (there are a couple of other Buffalo guys on the team as well). I remember thinking when Ennis scored, "Would he really rather have Matt Ellis passing him the puck next year than Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel? THINK ENNIS!" It's weird.

Imagine if the Bills had gone 1-15 instead of 6-10 in 2011. Would we be lamenting that horrible Bills season right now, or planning for the Super Bowl around Andrew Luck with our defense and playmakers?

I knew when he was hyped how good Luck was. I told people I work with I would trade my entire draft and then some for a player like that. And now look. Colts should be a top team for years to come. Edited by SabresBillsFan

One thing to remember:  Next year the Sabres will better, and even better the year after that.

But some of the new core is already on the team.  They've seen how bad it can get, team-wise, fan-wise, everything-wise.  So next year, look at this year's whipping boys - Grigo and CoHo perhaps, and see if they don't play with a certain urgency and fire, and become leaders on this team (along with the rest of the carryovers from this season).  So when Baptiste is slacking, when Reinhart coasts, let's see if even the worst of the young guys on this year's team tell them - "Cut it out and shape up.  You think this is bad?  You don't know bad.  I do, and trust me, you don't ever want to see that.  So move your ass!"

You are at an age that I bet you can look back and say " I had one of those years". A defining time or moment that left you with the motivation/determination to never allow "something" to happen again.  I have had 3 of these "events". For each I was initially mad, blamed another person or entity for my predicament, swore I would get even by working my azz off and "showing them".  This is one of those times for a group of young NHL players. I hope they work their azzes off and show us they didn't deserve the treatment and the cat calling by otherwise loyal fans (next year please).

Thankfully some jack azz, that should also have known better, wasn't shoving a microphone/recorder in my face asking for my thoughts just after it happened. All players get a free pass from me, no matter the sport, right after a game if they are mad and speak frankly and its not a politically correct rant.  I  expect Mike Weber to be much more insightful in his next go around with the media when this is brought up. And frankly, I believe the "cheering" it is going to get louder and longer each game till the Sabres clinch DFL. 

Right.

Knowing the Bills they would have picked RG3.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 14m14 minutes ago

Moulson in wake of last night: "Sometimes you go through the hardest times before the best times arrive." #Sabres

This guy gets it. That's not to say he likes it, but he gets it.

It's nice to have someone on the team that has played with a Top NHL Center and is looking forward to doing it again Edited by BRAWNDO

Moulson in wake of last night: "Sometimes you go through the hardest times before the best times arrive." #Sabres

This guy gets it. That's not to say he likes it, but he gets it.

I agree.  The players should understand and know what's going on and not take it personally.  Fans aren't rooting against the Sabres with ill will - the fans are rooting for hope.  Could you imagine after this whole year if we missed McEichel by 1 point and had bad luck in the lottery (as Buffalo fans you know that would happen)?  What a waste that would be and there would be little hope for next year.  It's not the fans fault we are where we are.  Management made an attempt to field a decent team this year but when they lose 20 games mid-year what are you supposed to do?  We aren't tanking but doing the complete rebuild we've avoided for 10 years.  New owner comes in with a new vision of actually building the best team possible.  Look what he is doing with the Bills...when the Sabres get close enough he'll spend the money to finish the job.  If any of the current team is good enough to stay they will benefit too.

Right.

Thank you, sir. This is exactly it. Exactly my feelings. Let me tell you, I have been a die-hard fan for the entire existence of the Sabres. I want the Cup badly...in the worst way. Winning games on principle right now only to decrease the odds of acquiring a McEichel is patently insane. We bemoan Sabres points now because they hurt our future not because we're against the franchise or the players. Is that hard to grasp?

I want Buffalo to land one of these two guys. 30th place guarantees it. Period. And I hope Darcy the Weasel's team finishes 29th - only a point out of last place - and misses out on both of the top two guys in the draft.

Edited by Stormin Norman

Here's a vision.  I am curious as to whether you think the same as I do. 

There are many fans who desire to finish last to have a guarantee of drafting one or the other of McEichel.  Others think the whole concept of tanking to get one of them sucks.  Easy to understand both sides.  (Disclosure: I happen to want one of them very badly).

IF we end up last, I think the long path of discord among Sabres fans is over.  For me, with one of those players, it is all about WINNING and only about WINNING from that point on.  I do not anticipate an instant turnaround.  But, dammit, I expect this team to make progress quickly and aggressively with all the prospects and draft picks we have.  I will be angry if they do not show a lot of forward progress... and, like, next year.

So I think we all reunite on common ground right after the draft.  I think the bickering stops and we are all of one mind at that point.  Agree?

According to my orders, after this season we start bickering over Ted Nolan, whether he's behind the bench next year or not.

I can't really understand why some fans, apparently, cheered the Coyotes winning goal.

I know why they did it, but I could never do it.

I hope we (all Sabre fans) can put this all behind us.  The mending needs to start now.

It would depend on how many beers I had and how dark of a mood I was in. I was watching one of the Flyers games in a bar this year and when $FLYER broke in short-handed on Buffalo I was yelling for the shortie. Not because I wanted Buffalo to lose, not for McEichel, but because that's what happens to Buffalo teams and I wanted to get out in front of it. They lose in ways they shouldn't.

I "called" the Music City Miracle. I had friends over at my house and they (not being long-time Bills fans) were cheering and yelling, all I said was, "They're going to run the kickoff back." They looked at me like I was crazy, and then in awe when I was right. I didn't cheer or anything; I just drank some more beer. It's how it goes.

There is a huge difference between accepting that things have to be a certain way and going into the home building wearing Coyote gear or defaced Sabres gear and actively rooting for your team to lose. I don't give a rat's a$$ how much you paid for a ticket, it doesn't give you the right to act like a scumbag. I applaud Mike Weber and I have never been a Andrew Peters fan but in this case he is dead on.

Hopefully last night will be a rallying point for the guys in this locker room causing them to go on a tear over the final 8 games. There are just enough winnable games for the roster to give a big FU to the "fans."

If the Pegula's have any "Fan Appreciation" scheduled for April 11th, I hope they have the good sense to cancel them.

There is a huge difference between accepting that things have to be a certain way and going into the home building wearing Coyote gear or defaced Sabres gear and actively rooting for your team to lose. I don't give a rat's a$$ how much you paid for a ticket, it doesn't give you the right to act like a scumbag. I applaud Mike Weber and I have never been a Andrew Peters fan but in this case he is dead on.

Hopefully last night will be a rallying point for the guys in this locker room causing them to go on a tear over the final 8 games. There are just enough winnable games for the roster to give a big FU to the "fans."

If the Pegula's have any "Fan Appreciation" scheduled for April 11th, I hope they have the good sense to cancel them.

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e3

fans deserve to root for the tank.  The only reward for being in last is to stay in last and get one of the top 2 players in this draft.

If Players have a problem with that then maybe they should of won more games

If fans or media or anyone else has a problem with that, well they're not thinking clearly

Edited by ddaryl

Lemonade. The fans had a good time at an entertainment event. Lemonade.

And would cancelling the 4-11 events be a way of punishing the fans? is that what you're getting at? Players should build animosity toward the fans and the organization should punish them?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.