Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Going out of their way to sign black players = nonsense, IMO.

You and I may not like it but when your city is 80% one demographic, I can understand a team trying to appeal to them.

Maybe the Sabres should change their logo to a Kielbasa crossed with an Italian sausage.

Atlanta's "demographics" has nothing to do with the unpopularity of hockey in the region. And "marketing" to that "demographic" by selecting players of a certain race wouldn't even begin to move the needle in that regard. Very short-sighted thinking and I can't believe a newly minted marketing graduate would even conceive of the idea, let alone a VP in charge of marketing for a professional sports franchise. Let alone a GM who would think of passing up better talent simply because that talent doesn't appeal to the targeted "demographic."

GO SABRES!!! 

Edited by K-9

Atlanta's "demographics" has nothing to do with the unpopularity of hockey in the region. And "marketing" to that "demographic" by selecting players of a certain race wouldn't even begin to move the needle in that regard. Very short-sighted thinking and I can't believe a newly minted marketing graduate would even conceive of the idea, let alone a VP in charge of marketing for a professional sports franchise. Let alone a GM who would think of passing up better talent simply because that talent doesn't appeal to the targeted "demographic."

GO SABRES!!! 

Exactly.

And, not to mention, the Thrashers (or whatever they were called) drafted Kane and traded for Buf because they are very talented players.

IMO, the fact that they are black had absolutely zero to do with it.

And if they were brought to the team as a marketing ploy, which I have said is utter nonsense, again IMO, would be even worse then if they were targeted to acquire based on the colour of their skin.

Hey Ink,

I do like your sausage idea.

In fact, I hear that some former Sabres took that idea and ran with it.

You and I may not like it but when your city is 80% one demographic, I can understand a team trying to appeal to them.

Maybe the Sabres should change their logo to a Kielbasa crossed with an Italian sausage.

You better get some corned beef on that logo.

Going out of their way to sign black players = nonsense, IMO.

Whatever, man. Facts are facts and they did what they did. I wasn't defending it, just making a statement of fact. You can choose to ignore it all you want, but it happened. Your denial of it is nonsense.

http://deadspin.com/5749288/the-atlanta-thrashers-hope-black-players-on-the-ice-put-black-fannies-in-the-seats

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/sports/hockey/28nyrangers.html?_r=0

http://www.businessinsider.com/are-the-atlanta-thrashers-hoarding-black-hockey-players-2010-10

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Thrashers-not-trying-to-exploit-black-players-?urn=nhl-280435

Exactly.

And, not to mention, the Thrashers (or whatever they were called) drafted Kane and traded for Buf because they are very talented players.

IMO, the fact that they are black had absolutely zero to do with it.

And if they were brought to the team as a marketing ploy, which I have said is utter nonsense, again IMO, would be even worse then if they were targeted to acquire based on the colour of their skin.

Hey Ink,

I do like your sausage idea.

In fact, I hear that some former Sabres took that idea and ran with it.

I never said they only went after black players, but it definitely was a part of their decision making. Some of them were/are really talented players but to try to pretend that race and the demographics in Atlanta didn't factor in to the equation is ridiculous. Yeah, Kane and Byfuglien and extremely talented players but so are other players they could have drafted or gone after. Not to say they'd take a lesser black player over a better white one but just like showing a preference for size or speed or stickhandling if they had two guys rated similarly and one of them was black then they'd be more likely to opt for the black player. Factoring in race =/= racist and to pretend it has absolutely no role in the process is just willful denial.

Edited by Drunkard

I never said they only went after black players, but it definitely was a part of their decision making. Some of them were/are really talented players but to try to pretend that race and the demographics in Atlanta didn't factor in to the equation is ridiculous. Yeah, Kane and Byfuglien and extremely talented players but so are other players they could have drafted or gone after. Not to say they'd take a lesser black player over a better white one but just like showing a preference for size or speed or stickhandling if they had two guys rated similarly and one of them was black then they'd be more likely to opt for the black player. Noticing race =/= racist and to pretend it has absolutely no role in the process is just willful denial.

Is it any different than GMs that have a strong preference for Canadians over Americans and Russians?

Is it any different than GMs that have a strong preference for Canadians over Americans and Russians?

I don't think it's really any different but I would expect the people who deny what happened with Atlanta would probably deny that certain GM's favor Canadians or don't care for Russians. Our own GM seems to favor tall Swedish goaltenders. Somebody should tell him that we are all exactly the same and Norwegian ones are just as good.

Anyone that thinks there is a racism here towards blacks are not seeing clearly. Little. Ladd and Wheeler have all taken shite and they aren't black. There is not the same attitude towards blacks in Canada as there is the USA. I guide Americans for duck hunting and I see a lot of it. I see racism towards aboriginals here but not to the same degree of hatred. This is in general and I am not trying to upset anyone on this forum. There are dickwads in every country on the planet. Nobody is coming down on Buff because he is (half) black. He is catching it because he is our one legit superstar and he hasn't played like one. Getzlaf and Perry have.

Enstrom is really catching a lot of ire around here so are we racist towards Swedes? The Ducks are hammering him EVERY time they have the chance...it is playoff hockey and if the Ducks didn't, they wouldn't be coached well. Buff and Ladd were 2 players in a parting of ways with numerous other players (contracts) after their first cup since 1961. They couldn't stay under the cap.

Buff might be moved this off-season if they can't re-sign him. A quality LH shooting D man and a high pick or good prospect in return would do it. Ladd only has a year left too. Glad I'm not the GM of this team. It'll be over shortly and the attention around here will lean towards the draft and off-season trades.

Anyone that thinks there is a racism here towards blacks are not seeing clearly. Little. Ladd and Wheeler have all taken shite and they aren't black. There is not the same attitude towards blacks in Canada as there is the USA. I guide Americans for duck hunting and I see a lot of it. I see racism towards aboriginals here but not to the same degree of hatred. This is in general and I am not trying to upset anyone on this forum. There are dickwads in every country on the planet. Nobody is coming down on Buff because he is (half) black. He is catching it because he is our one legit superstar and he hasn't played like one. Getzlaf and Perry have.

Enstrom is really catching a lot of ire around here so are we racist towards Swedes? The Ducks are hammering him EVERY time they have the chance...it is playoff hockey and if the Ducks didn't, they wouldn't be coached well. Buff and Ladd were 2 players in a parting of ways with numerous other players (contracts) after their first cup since 1961. They couldn't stay under the cap.

Buff might be moved this off-season if they can't re-sign him. A quality LH shooting D man and a high pick or good prospect in return would do it. Ladd only has a year left too. Glad I'm not the GM of this team. It'll be over shortly and the attention around here will lean towards the draft and off-season trades.

Ducky I thought your name was for hawerchuck but I see it serves a dual purpose with the guiding.

Ah.  I guess I've been away from Buffalo too long.

There is a local bar that serves the Genny Cream on tap.

It's probably the most stereotypical beer for Buffalo I could come up with.  I know there are better beers from the area, but nothing screams Buffalo like Genny Cream..... okay, I get what Screamers means now.  ;)