Better call Saul

bunomatic

Cannot express my love for this show enough. Like that slate article says, it isn't getting the love of its predecessor, and I think its because it doesn't have the "sex appeal" that the other did. No mass crime or explosions (yet). Even Mike's story line is a slow boil.

To me, BCS is doing what both Mad Men and Breaking Bad did at the same time. MM's ability to pull high drama from such low stakes (Maybe this middling advertising firm will get sold/go under! Will this couple get a DIVORCE?!?!), along with the underlying danger and connection to a seedy underbelly of ABQ as in BB, plus the artistic cinematography of both shows. And I say that with nothing but immense love for both previous shows. 

Also, that note's totes from Gus. I half expected him to be there when Mike turned around.

EDIT: Confirmed: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/04/19/gus_fring_is_back_better_call_saul_s_creators_confirm.html

Edited by sabills

I was a little disappointed that Jimmy didn't realize Chuck was soliciting a confession.    I mean, of all people who should've realized what Chuck was doing, you would think it would be Jimmy (he's a wolf, not a sheep, right?).    As a casual observer, I knew right away what Chuck was doing when he broke into his sob story.    That's not like Chuck at all, to admit he screwed up and take responsibility for it.    Jimmy should've seen right through it, like I did.

I was a little disappointed that Jimmy didn't realize Chuck was soliciting a confession.    I mean, of all people who should've realized what Chuck was doing, you would think it would be Jimmy (he's a wolf, not a sheep, right?).    As a casual observer, I knew right away what Chuck was doing when he broke into his sob story.    That's not like Chuck at all, to admit he screwed up and take responsibility for it.    Jimmy should've seen right through it, like I did.

Good point. I think it goes to Jimmy's inherent goodness. Incoming freeman!

I've started rewatching the season. One small detail I missed the first time is the tiny bit of toothpaste Kim put on her brush the morning after they scammed the douchebag. Just a perfect touch. Of course the unassailable Kim would use a pea-sized blob. While Jimmy would brush with her finger, then say, "Wait til you see what I floss with." Kim was corrupted just a tiny bit as the season went along. It'll be fascinating to see how much (more) she aids and abets Jimmy in Season Three. I'm thinking specifically of her advice to Jimmy to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Hmmmm, suggesting that someone cover up evidence of a felony... that could get you disbarred, Miss Wexler.

I'd also like to solicit opinions on the symbolism of the Cinnabon.

Yeah.  Jimmy could never comprehend how his beloved, idolized brother could be jealous of him.  

I'm really interested by the conflict in Jimmy during this scene.  He's still minimizing the ###### thing he did by blaming it on Chuck not "taking it like a normal person."  But of all people, Jimmy should've known that Chuck isn't in any state to handle this kind of ######ery with grace.  The smart thing to do would be to get as far away from his brother as possible, but like PA said, the inherent goodness and reflex to take care of his brother is too strong. Jimmy is trying to be an adult about the whole "You're not a real lawyer" blow-up.  He sees his recent struggles with Chuck as the give and take of life, whereas Chuck is seeking revenge HARD against Jimmy for what he did.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Maybe chuck out chucked chuck and the foil will prevent the tape from recording? Maybe Jimmy knew that and just played into Chucks hands?

Yeah.  Jimmy could never comprehend how his beloved, idolized brother could be jealous of him.  

I'm really interested by the conflict in Jimmy during this scene.  He's still minimizing the ###### thing he did by blaming it on Chuck not "taking it like a normal person."  But of all people, Jimmy should've known that Chuck isn't in any state to handle this kind of ######ery with grace.  The smart thing to do would be to get as far away from his brother as possible, but like PA said, the inherent goodness and reflex to take care of his brother is too strong. Jimmy is trying to be an adult about the whole "You're not a real lawyer" blow-up.  He sees his recent struggles with Chuck as the give and take of life, whereas Chuck is seeking revenge HARD against Jimmy for what he did.

I think this is the similarity between main characters Jimmy and Walt. Neither one knows to leave well enough alone, they both seem to steer themselves back into the storm after successfully navigating it in the first place.

Ultimately, I think Chuck uses the recording to force Jimmy to leave Kim.    That's all Chuck really wants, is for Jimmy not to drag down Kim with him.    I like Chuck, I don't blame him at all for what he's doing to Jimmy.    

But why does he end up changing his name to Saul Goodman?   It's been 2 seasons of "Better call SAUL", not "Better call JIMMY".    At some point here soon, Saul needs to show up.

Ultimately, I think Chuck uses the recording to force Jimmy to leave Kim.    That's all Chuck really wants, is for Jimmy not to drag down Kim with him.    I like Chuck, I don't blame him at all for what he's doing to Jimmy.    

But why does he end up changing his name to Saul Goodman?   It's been 2 seasons of "Better call SAUL", not "Better call JIMMY".    At some point here soon, Saul needs to show up.

That's the question, isn't it.  When does being Jimmy McGill no longer become feasible?

And the bolded is very very false.

That's the question, isn't it.  When does being Jimmy McGill no longer become feasible?

And the bolded is very very false.

The more precise question is: when does allowing Jimmy to practice law but no longer besmirching the McGill name become feasible in Chuck's eyes? Because right now, getting Jimmy out of law is the goal. But at some point, the result is simply getting Jimmy to disown the name.

in some way, getting Jimmy totally out of law is going to bring down someone (or something - HHM perhaps?) that Chuck doesn't want brought down or will bring more heat (read Gus somehow?) than Chuck has the stamina to bear.

And agree wholeheartedly w/ your last point.

The more precise question is: when does allowing Jimmy to practice law but no longer besmirching the McGill name become feasible in Chuck's eyes? Because right now, getting Jimmy out of law is the goal. But at some point, the result is simply getting Jimmy to disown the name.

in some way, getting Jimmy totally out of law is going to bring down someone (or something - HHM perhaps?) that Chuck doesn't want brought down or will bring more heat (read Gus somehow?) than Chuck has the stamina to bear.

And agree wholeheartedly w/ your last point.

He kinda did that in the first season, didn't he? When Jimmy was just a public defender, he told him to use a generic name, like "Gibraltar" or something.

He kinda did that in the first season, didn't he? When Jimmy was just a public defender, he told him to use a generic name, like "Gibraltar" or something.

But it was still (would've been) Jimmy McGill of "Law Firm X."

He ends up not even calling himself McGill. That would seem to be at Chuck's bequest. When does Chuck get himself back to living w/ Jimmy being a lawyer? Or does it ACTUALLY kill him & Howard, in some sort of following Chuck's last wish, forces Jimmy to go by ANY name BUT McGill?

I still want to know if Jimmy really passed the New Mexico state bar exam?

Also, I just started re-watching Breaking Bad with my wife (she hasn't seen it yet).   It's probably been mentioned on here already, but the guy with the "KEN WINS" license plate, is the same guy Jimmy and Kim swindle at the restaurant.    Thought that was interesting since Walt ends up blowing up the guys car.   

I still want to know if Jimmy really passed the New Mexico state bar exam?

Yes, Chuck. He really passed the bar.

I just watched episode 4 again.  The scene where Jimmy and Chuck have another throw down (the first time Jimmy's been to Chuck's house since "You're not a real lawyer") is absolutely fantastic.  The way the push and pull of the discussion moves Jimmy in and out of the light is so neat.  When Chuck is walking toward the desk saying a bunch of really uncalled for dickish things, we get a shot of the dark side of Jimmy's face that reminds me of the scene where he's eyeing Kenwins.  Just like in the Kenwins shot, Jimmy is in the right of the frame looking left.  Or is he looking to the West?

Anyways, I love Michael McKean's acting in this scene.  He switches so abruptly between voicing some legitimate concerns about his brother, taking ridiculous pot shots (Kim's only mistake was believing in you), and showing real uncertainty.  When he says "Because if I were impeding the career of one of my employees for the purpose of compelling you to do something against your will that would be extortion." it takes a while for Chuck to believe in what he's saying here, but by the end of the line he's found more conviction.  But Jimmy replies with "So what?  You gonna extort me, Chuck?..." And the look on Chuck's face softens big time.  At the end of the scene Chuck is feeling his joints because his electromagnetic sensitivity acting up... Gee I wonder why.

I think Chuck absolutely told Hamlin to put the screws to Kim.  Hamlin's resigned tone when she... uh, resigns is all the tell I need.

Oh, also! There's a chills inducing Jimmy line in that scene with Chuck.  When he's offering to quit the law for good he says

"No more Jimmy McGill Esquire. POOF! Like he never even existed."

The feels, man.  :cry:

Upon further review, two great reveals from the season finale. Jimmy is sitting at the bedside in the hospital and the nurse tells him the priest is in the chapel and you think it's Chuck in that bed. Then the nurse steps aside and reveals Chuck sitting next to Jimmy. (As an aside, Mom sure looked like Dad.) Then in the scene after they get Chuck ready for his CAT scan, there's a black screen and muffled groaning and yelling and when we see who's doing the groaning, it seems to be Chuck. At least it seemed to me, until the salt and pepper beard of the truck driver came into focus. Quite a trick of the eye and mind. What a show.

Edited by PASabreFan

• 5 weeks later...

Breaking Bad was always one step forward, two steps back. Better Call Saul so far is one step forward, one step back. First season was Jimmy realizing Chuck ain't no good for him. Second season was Jimmy not being able to let go of his beloved brother (and it biting him in the ass royally).

I'm rewatching the finale of season 1, and I maintain that it is the single best hour of cinema ever created (that I've seen (so the statement means nothing to you, but the world to me)).

Okay I'm a little drunk and lazy right now, but upon request, I will divulge exactly why the Bingo scene is a microcosm of Jimmy's entire life on the scale that the Fly episode is a representation of the entirety of breaking bad.

It's just. Like nothing else. Not even Breaking Bad was this good.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread just to say how much I appreciated it. I was largely still "lurking" on the forum during the thread, but I found the analysis, insight and discussion in here to be great, it really gave me the hope that there are still intelligent and thoughtful internet posters out there. add on top of it that they are Sabre fans and its a win-win!

I'm just pissed we have to wait for more

I was planning on starting to watch breaking bad during the down time

On another note, the guy who plays Nacho is going to be in the new Spiderman movie, hopefully as Nacho who takes could have Mike take out spiderman and end the perpetual reboot of the Spiderman franchise every couple of years.......

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some recent season 3 promos/trailers in case anyone missed them...

Just 3 weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzav_u7ZCpA

Some great pictures here, too: http://uproxx.com/tv/better-call-saul-season-3-plot-photos/3/

Gotta start the re-watch. Maybe I can talk my wife into watching it with me. She never watched Breaking Bad, but I actually like BCS better soooo....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.