Better call Saul

bunomatic

Caught the new episode today on lunch. Solid middle of the season episode: moves the plot forward, more Mike doing Mike Things, and we see Chuck's master plan, as it were. Now how does Jimmy get out of it?

1) Chuck

2)Mike is smrt

3)I've seen some things about how Jimmy can get out of the charges using this law or that, but this isn't a law procedural show or a John Grisham novel: Jimmy is gonna Jimmy this some how. I have a feeling, though, that the end result is him not being able to practice as Jimmy any more.

That last scene gave me chills. Jimmy and Kim in sillouette is gorgeous. We're finally away from yellow, getting into oranges now.

Nuts. Figured you'd be giving us more about WHY they'd switched to the oranges & silhouettes & what it actually meant as far as why Saul choose Huell as his body guard in season 5 of BB. This is SOOOOO disappointing. :p

And, yes, the cinematography was sweet.

That last scene gave me chills. Jimmy and Kim in sillouette is gorgeous. We're finally away from yellow, getting into oranges now.

This show is an absolute masterpiece.  The cinematography of the wide open stretches of desert in NM is so good that I wish I was watching this in a movie theatre.  And the storytelling and acting floor me.  Most shows never even come close to a scene as good as Jimmy saying "...and you'll die.  Alone." last week.

My only complaint is that it's so bleak that it can be tough to watch.  You see all these nuanced characters that obviously have good in them and they're in a downward spiral together.  At any moment, they could change course and pull out of it but they keep trudging along and they're doomed.

Great episode. But they do realize, don't they, that a battery that isn't connected to anything will be generating almost no magnetic field whatsoever, right?

Really thought Hue was going to place a cell phone in Chuck's pocket,not just a battery.

Of course, maybe that was the point. Jimmy didn't want to risk actually hurting Chuck by putting anything more than a battery in his pocket knowing that Rebecca would have Chuck off his game?

Where's qwk to explain this stuff when he's needed?

Edited by Taro T

Just watched the episode. I don't know anything about batteries, sorry Taro.

Holy Jimmy is never going to get away from his brother. Every time there's an exit available, his love for his brother gets in the way. With yet another inverse exit sign staring down Chuck to end the episode, I get the feeling that Jimmy, again, won't be able to commit to getting the away.

Bringing Rebecca there has the dual purpose of bringing the only person that cares about Chuck in the world to ABQ. Chuck won't be able to enjoy seeing her, because being defeated and humiliated by his brother is pretty much the worst thing ever.

Chuck's downfall can't even feel good, because everyone in the room feels so damn bad for him. And he is a pathetic man. But he has absolutely no self-awareness, and that was/is his downfall.

That last shot hurts. Chuck looks like he aged 15 years.

The first time we saw the inverse exit signs was the scene where Jimmy turned down the Davis and Main job in the halls of the courthouse. The exit signs were in the reflections of the shiny walls.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Just watched the episode. I don't know anything about batteries, sorry Taro.

Holy ###### Jimmy is never going to get away from his brother. Every time there's an exit available, his love for his brother gets in the way. With yet another inverse exit sign staring down Chuck to end the episode, I get the feeling that Jimmy, again, won't be able to commit to getting the ###### away.

Bringing Rebecca there has the dual purpose of bringing the only person that cares about Chuck in the world to ABQ. Chuck won't be able to enjoy seeing her, because being defeated and humiliated by his brother is pretty much the worst thing ever.

Chuck's downfall can't even feel good, because everyone in the room feels so damn bad for him. And he is a pathetic man. But he has absolutely no self-awareness, and that was/is his downfall.

That last shot hurts. Chuck looks like he aged 15 years.

The first time we saw the inverse exit signs was the scene where Jimmy turned down the Davis and Main job in the halls of the courthouse. The exit signs were in the reflections of the shiny walls.

Your analysis impresses and makes me feel inadequate. I try to pick up on the queues the writers and director gives us but I get too caught up in the story to remain cognizant.

Your analysis impresses and makes me feel inadequate. I try to pick up on the queues the writers and director gives us but I get too caught up in the story to remain cognizant.

I do it so you feel inadequate.

I wanted to have a better call saul podcast this season, but my two prospective co-hosts both got busy with other stuff.

I've got some video essays written out but I'm too lazy to actually edit them. But the way my ideas are evolving over season 3 is really exciting, I think have to finally just knuckle down and do it before the show goes away again.

Not really evolving, but becoming more clear.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I've been thinking about the fallacy of sunk costs a lot lately.  Jimmy brings this up to Kim in episode 1 of season 2 right before they do their first scheme together.  Jimmy's talking about quitting being a lawyer, but he's really talking about all the love and care that he's sunk into Chuck.

How long until Kim gets sick of sinking all of herself into Jimmy?

I've been thinking about the fallacy of sunk costs a lot lately.  Jimmy brings this up to Kim in episode 1 of season 2 right before they do their first scheme together.  Jimmy's talking about quitting being a lawyer, but he's really talking about all the love and care that he's sunk into Chuck.

How long until Kim gets sick of sinking all of herself into Jimmy?

Interesting take in the 1st paragraph.

As to the 2nd, it seems to me her parting ways w/ Jimmy will be more tragic than her just realizing that is all sunk cost.

oooo, that reveal with Gus at the end there, though. Good stuff.

A lot of setup in this episode. That ###### w/ Nacho is going to go poorly for him, I expect.

I wonder if Nacho ends up helping Gus with the poisoning they showed in Breaking Bad.

Bleh, got my timelines messed up. I was remembering one of the flashback and thinking it had something to do with Tio becoming an invalid. 

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.