Better call Saul

bunomatic

• 3 weeks later...

I did not much care for the score in this episode.  In general, I think Dave Porter's style was much better in Breaking Bad with all the deep bass and strings.  Better Call Saul's weird synth-y stuff mirrors the emotion of scenes just fine, but rarely enhances them.

Still processing the episode. I love the way Mike is reverse engineering his way to Gus.

The black and white scene with Gene was so heartbreaking.  Jimmy would never dime on that kid, it was really nice to see him poking out of the facade and yelling for the kid to get a lawyer (the cop neglected to recite the Miranda rights, I think).

I feel like Chuck is reaching the end of his arc.  I foresee an exit from the story.

The scene with Jimmy and the near-to-tears military guy was so great.  I loved that guy's reaction when Jimmy called the plane a B52.

Pretty good season premiere, although a bit slow IMHO.

I'm curious to see what usage Chuck has in mind for the tape.

I'm assume he's going to try to force Jimmy McGill to stop being a lawyer. Jimmy will weasel out of it by wording it to never again practice law under the McGill name and boom, Saul Goodman is officially born.

I'm assume he's going to try to force Jimmy McGill to stop being a lawyer. Jimmy will weasel out of it by wording it to never again practice law under the McGill name and boom, Saul Goodman is officially born.

Interesting.  I can definitely see it playing out that way. 

Separately:  it occurred to me last night that in the various arguments in this thread last year about whether it was Jimmy or Chuck who was at fault in their conflict, I neglected to say that really, both were wrong.  Jimmy was wrong because (as I posted last year), he doesn't get to take chances with other people's livelihoods and reputations, but Chuck was also wrong for not appreciating the good and loving qualities that his brother has.

Jimmy already offered that to Chuck in season 2 episode 4. I have a feeling this is going to be a whole lot worse.

Tonight destroyed me. I abstained from my rewatch of the second half of season 2 because of how nasty Chuck's deception was (which I didn't realize until season 3 forced my hand and I plunged in). Oh Jimmy.

If you were waiting for "the moment" marking the transformation... this was it.

The way these two episodes made us wait was so incredible. The tension built so perfectly to that last scene. How great was it having Gus return to the story out of focus in the back of the frame? Jimmy is a great deciever but his doesn't fly under the scrutiny of chessmaster gus.

So sad seeing Mike pick up that phone and ultimately seal his fate.

Tonight destroyed me. I abstained from my rewatch of the second half of season 2 because of how nasty Chuck's deception was (which I didn't realize until season 3 forced my hand and I plunged in). Oh Jimmy.

If you were waiting for "the moment" marking the transformation... this was it.

The way these two episodes made us wait was so incredible. The tension built so perfectly to that last scene. How great was it having Gus return to the story out of focus in the back of the frame? Jimmy is a great deciever but his ###### doesn't fly under the scrutiny of chessmaster gus.

So sad seeing Mike pick up that phone and ultimately seal his fate.

Mike's fate was sealed when his son was killed.

Sad the way how Chuck used Ernie's being a good kid & a friend to Jimmy to set Jimmy up. Great writing though. My dislike for Chuck is almost visceral.

Mike's fate was sealed when his son was killed.

Sad the way how Chuck used Ernie's being a good kid & a friend to Jimmy to set Jimmy up. Great writing though. My dislike for Chuck is almost visceral.

The scene where Mike completely dismantles his car was such a stark reminder of how empty his soul is. Almost everything is stripped away. The paranoia also really sells why he'd go into a partnership with Gus. It's too hard for one man to do everything alone. I'm so excited to see how they do business together when the focal point isn't Walt.

The scene where Mike completely dismantles his car was such a stark reminder of how empty his soul is. Almost everything is stripped away. The paranoia also really sells why he'd go into a partnership with Gus. It's too hard for one man to do everything alone. I'm so excited to see how they do business together when the focal point isn't Walt.

Yep. Hopefully that remains the bulk of the focus of this season. Can't have Jimmy go "full Saul" for a couple more seasons.

Finally watched the two episodes last night. I might post more later, but for now let me say that I could watch Mike Ehrmantraut make and eat a PB&J sandwich without saying anything for 44 minutes and probably be entertained. BCS is at its best when it is speaking least.

Finally watched the two episodes last night. I might post more later, but for now let me say that I could watch Mike Ehrmantraut make and eat a PB&J sandwich without saying anything for 44 minutes and probably be entertained. BCS is at its best when it is speaking least.

Absolutely. The acting across the board is Phenomenal.

I watched episode 2 last night.  Very good one IMHO. 

I agree with sabills' post above about how the show makes really good TV out of those extended wordless scenes of Mike doing cool PI stuff.

My question on Jimmy's latest spot of trouble is:  is Kim going to get PO'd at him for doctoring the papers?  Is she going to feel obligated to resign her representation of her big client -- since it's an ill-gotten gain?

I watched episode 2 last night. Very good one IMHO.

I agree with sabills' post above about how the show makes really good TV out of those extended wordless scenes of Mike doing cool PI stuff.

My question on Jimmy's latest spot of trouble is: is Kim going to get PO'd at him for doctoring the papers? Is she going to feel obligated to resign her representation of her big client -- since it's an ill-gotten gain?

Kim was already pissed off at Jimmy after Chuck told her what happened. She's no fool. And she feels very uneasy about Mesa Verde, hence all the stress about a semicolon.

I think Kim is going to be pissed at Jimmy for stupidly rushing to Chuck's house and playing right into his plot. She warned him that he's one smart lawyer, and that Jimmy needs to watch himself.

I think it will really hurt Kim that Jimmy wasn't able to express his hurt to her. Just like with the Kettlemans and the bingo meltdown, Jimmy played it cool to kim, trying to be zen about it. "Dalai Lama's got nothing on me." But then he blows up and has a meltdown.

It'll be interesting to see if Jimmy ever comes to understand this blind spot he has, how he buries things until they boil over in a rage.

At the same time, Kim is a very private person herself, much more than Jimmy, which I think is why she didn't push him to express himself after he learned about the tape. She needed to connect with him, but on some emotional level it's not there for her.

Kim was already pissed off at Jimmy after Chuck told her what happened.

I guess I don't remember -- didn't Jimmy deny to Kim that he doctored the papers?  I.e. didn't Kim just think Chuck had just lost his marbles and was making whacked-out accusations?

Or maybe she compartmentalized, adopted an "I don't want to know" approach, coupled with not being partners with Jimmy, and made her peace with it.

I guess I don't remember -- didn't Jimmy deny to Kim that he doctored the papers? I.e. didn't Kim just think Chuck had just lost his marbles and was making whacked-out accusations?

Or maybe she compartmentalized, adopted an "I don't want to know" approach, coupled with not being partners with Jimmy, and made her peace with it.

She told Chuck to his face that he made a mistake to cover for Jimmy. Then when she and Jimmy returned to the car, she hit him in the arm 4 or 5 times. Then later that night she said "Man, your brother is one smart lawyer... A bad person to have as your enemy, so you better have all your tracks covered."

This warning led Jimmy back to the copy shop, where he bribed the clerk.

Kim knows that Jimmy up, but she understands his troubled relationship with Chuck. She's trying to keep accepting/loving Jimmy and keep moving forward in her professional life, but those things are on a collision course.

She told Chuck to his face that he made a mistake to cover for Jimmy. Then when she and Jimmy returned to the car, she hit him in the arm 4 or 5 times. Then later that night she said "Man, your brother is one smart lawyer... A bad person to have as your enemy, so you better have all your tracks covered."

This warning led Jimmy back to the copy shop, where he bribed the clerk.

Kim knows that Jimmy ###### up, but she understands his troubled relationship with Chuck. She's trying to keep accepting/loving Jimmy and keep moving forward in her professional life, but those things are on a collision course.

Now I remember -- you're right.  Thanks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.