Better call Saul

bunomatic

Well, I don't see how you can call the examples I gave (minor arrest, fight, etc.) hyperbolic, especially when you consider what he actually did -- cost his dad and the rest of his family the store -- and what you and I both think is going to happen with Kim.

Sorry. Jimmy didn't cost dad the store. That was ALL on dad. If Jimmy didn't scam him, there was a line around the corner waiting to do it. And Chuck eing totally bailed probably biulds on his guilt about it all.

I'm still confused about the scene where Kim quits.  Hamlin is clearly still being a dick to her, trying to have a conversation in front of his secretary, but he seems almost sad to accept her resignation (which he knew was coming).  Did Chuck tell Hamlin to turn the screws?

I loved the character history we got about Hamlin (Hamlinformation, hahaha okay not clever).  His conversation with Kim about wanting to change the world out of law school seemed earnest.  That pause and smile when he says "Dad talked me out of it." speaks volumes.  Hamlin hates it at HHM.  He wanted to be his own man and now he's always under some kind of pressure, whether it be doing Chuck's bidding or running HHM the way his father wants.  

I still don't know what to make of "You know I pushed you hard because I always knew I could expect more from you." If Hamlin was pushing Kim hard to get the most out of her, AND he knew that she had a better offer from another firm... then why was he pushing her?  Is Hamlin just a bad boss?  Did he think that backing off of Kim once she got her offer would make him look weak?  Something doesn't make sense.

One of my favorite lines of the season was Chuck saying "We have our issues but, if things were reversed, I hope you know that I would do the same for you."  First of all: I don't believe you, Chuck.

In season 1 when Jimmy's life was in dire straits, Chuck just brushed off his little brother's concerns and tried to reimburse him with the piddly little jar of change.  Chuck didn't care that Jimmy was running himself into the ground to provide for him.  In fact, the only time Chuck raises his voice in that conversation is to say "I'M GOING TO GET BETTER."  Chuck hasn't shown any ability to empathize with his brother, he just tries to be an authority figure.

Also, "if things were reversed."  Like... if a 6 and a 1 were reversed?  Hehehehehehe

I'm a funk bassist/guitarist, so I LOVE the theme song to this show.  So much of funk guitar is making stuff up as you go along, which fits Jimmy perfectly.  The theme itself is a cut off thrown away riff that you could hear any given time during a band practice.  The British blues/funk band they got to write it is called Little Barrie.  I started listening to Little Barrie big time last year when the show first came on.  I was single for the first time in 5 years and just starting to put myself out there, and I remember many a late night driving home listening to Little Barrie.  I lost my taste for them after a while because they've got well written songs, but they never seem to go anywhere after a while.  They'll just repeat the same part over and over with no creativity, but whatevs.

One of my favorites was Why Don't You Do It, the song that plays while Jimmy's changing the Mesa Verde documents.

The way they edited the song and cut the show to it was miraculous.  There's one part where the guitar is doing a fill and it fits in perfectly with Jimmy tumbling little shreds of paper out of place.  The ending that sounds like the victory music in a video game made more sense in a TV show than it ever had to me as a song ending.  It was such a treat hearing a favorite song that I hadn't heard in a while, and it brought so much extra punch to the scene for me.  I had a similar feeling when the pilot opened with Address Unknown by the Ink Spots.

I think Why Don't You Do It is my favorite use of music in any Vince Gilligan show, except for maybe We Are Born When We Die by Apollo Sunshine in season 4 episode 12 of BB:

Also: the season 1 flashback where Howard (Chuck) tells Jimmy that he can't work as a lawyer at HHM has no words.  Instead, all we hear is the copier outside the mail room and watch the body language as Jimmy becomes rejected and dejected.  The copier came back hard, especially in the scene where Chuck hits his head.  The lighted green swipes were very calm while Jimmy was changing the documents, but when Chuck was flipping out, they were daggers in his side.  I love this freakin' show.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Another thought: Chuck doesn't know that Kim and Jimmy are practicing law separately.  Hamlin made it very clear when Kim quit that he understood the nuance of her plan, he even went as far to call it smart for several reasons.  When Hamlin told Chuck in a panic that they might lose Mesa Verde he just said that Kim and Jimmy are working together.  Did Hamlin do that on purpose to activate Chuck?  Was he just worried and didn't articulate?  

EDIT: I just watched that part again.  Hamlin says they're pooling their resources and Chuck says "Kim and my brother, partners at law.  He is Svengali, the man is Svengali."  And Hamlin doesn't correct him.

I find it interesting that Chuck didn't wear the foil lining under his suit when he went in.  He's trying to distance himself from his brother in the worst way.  I wonder if it even occurred to Chuck why he chose not to wear the lining.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I am looking forward to the final episode like it's a Sabres playoff game. I have a hunch it's going to be explosive and maybe even heart-breaking.

I'm hype to see this freakin' commercial that Jimmy's been working on for several episodes. I have to miss my own hockey game tonight, but at least I get to watch this.

Until I listened to the 209 insider podcast, I thought this season was going to be 13 episodes long  :death:

I'm hype to see this freakin' commercial that Jimmy's been working on for several episodes. I have to miss my own hockey game tonight, but at least I get to watch this.

Until I listened to the 209 insider podcast, I thought this season was going to be 13 episodes long  :death:

Do you like getting caught in the rain? (The look back by one of the women as she went inside was hilarious.)

Nobody can resist the Jimmy McGill.  And apparently no waitress can resist Mike, who looks like he was carved out of the side of a cliff.

I can't resist Bob Odenkirk. Did you see the movie Nebraska? He had one look in that movie that slayed me. I have never laughed so hard while watching a movie as at that moment. You might not get it, being young. It's that look you give to your elderly parents, wanting to kill them, but never wanting to let them go.

I can't resist Bob Odenkirk. Did you see the movie Nebraska? He had one look in that movie that slayed me. I have never laughed so hard while watching a movie as at that moment. You might not get it, being young. It's that look you give to your elderly parents, wanting to kill them, but never wanting to let them go.

I saw Nebraska, but I don't remember that moment. When was it?

I find it interesting that Chuck didn't wear the foil lining under his suit when he went in.  He's trying to distance himself from his brother in the worst way.  I wonder if it even occurred to Chuck why he chose not to wear the lining.

Nice write ups, alot of good insights here from all posters. I was wondering why Chuck didn't wear the foil as well. Is it because he was going to the courthouse and had to pass through the metal detectors perhaps? I don't know if it would set them off or not?

What a ####ing prick.

Incredible. He put himself into a psychosomatic coma for 20 hours but can still manage to expose himself to a few more minutes of electromagnetic waves to put the screws to his brother.

Couldn't even throw Jimmy a bone when mom died. What a miserable prick.

Who do we think put the note on Mike's car?

And was that the truck driver that met his demise in the desert?

I'm guessing it was Gus or somebody that works for Gus that put the note on Mike's car.

Yes, that was the truck driver that was whacked.

And if this episode didn't convince you that Chuck is a manipulative, selfish, jealous A$$HOLE of the highest order, then I can only surmise you have a much more charismatic younger brother named Jimmy.

Who do we think put the note on Mike's car?

And was that the truck driver that met his demise in the desert?

Not sure how it was Nacho that put the note there, but the way he never left Hector's side while he was in the open makes me believe it was his doing.

We were definitely led to believe it was the truck driver.

I'm guessing it was Gus or somebody that works for Gus that put the note on Mike's car.

And if this episode didn't convince you that Chuck is a manipulative, selfish, jealous A$$HOLE of the highest order, then I can only surmise you have a much more charismatic younger brother named Jimmy.

I hadn't thought of the Gus angle. Makes perfect sense. Gus wanted Hector for himself.

I hadn't thought of the Gus angle. Makes perfect sense. Gus wanted Hector for himself.

I agree -- good call on Gus.

As for Chuck, he certainly didn't cover himself in glory last night.  I can understand the tape recorder trick, because he did want to clear his name (although I did think it was kinda predictable), but lying to Jimmy about their mom's last words was petty and inexcusable.

The more I think about Chuck's treachery, the more insidious it seems. The one thing Chuck needed to pull it off, the only thing to assure success, was Jimmy's unconditional love for his brother. I think Chuck is an evil prick.

The more I think about Chuck's treachery, the more insidious it seems. The one thing Chuck needed to pull it off, the only thing to assure success, was Jimmy's unconditional love for his brother. I think Chuck is an evil prick.

So much more so than Jimmy. Jimmy has his faults bumbling his way through life from one scam to the next. His motives are genuine. He's trying to do good, in his eyes. Stick it to the man.

I wonder how much symbolism is present with Chuck always being in the dark and Jimmy always surrounded by light. I'm sure qwksndmonster can expand upon this.

If someone told me Jimmy still wouldn't be Saul by the beginning of season 3,I would have been pissed. The way it has played out, I'm not minding it one bit.

###### Chuck. ###### Chuck so hard. I knew something was fishy, but I did not see that coming

You might be the only person who didn't think he was recording it. Like Jimmy said, Nixon would be proud.

Can we put to rest the idea that Chuck is a good guy who is just protecting his firm and the sanctity of his profession?

You might be the only person who didn't think he was recording it. Like Jimmy said, Nixon would be proud.

Can we put to rest the idea that Chuck is a good guy who is just protecting his firm and the sanctity of his profession?

Yet chuck is so adamant about draping his petty jealousy in the name of the law. Maybe to justify his betrayal to himself.

I knew he was setting him up, I just didn't know he had the recorder; couldn't tell what he pulled out of his garage. 

Jimmy admits to a felony to bring sanity back to his brother, and Chuck screws him. I hope at some point Chuck dies during this show

I knew he was setting him up, I just didn't know he had the recorder; couldn't tell what he pulled out of his garage.

Jimmy admits to a felony to bring sanity back to his brother, and Chuck screws him. I hope at some point Chuck dies during this show

I'm guessing he does either literally or figuratively

He probably gets better, spurs HHM to greater heights and somehow really screws Jimmy over, maybe costing him Kim. One step closer to Saul.

I like ink's comment about this season not being about what we thought it would be about and being fine with it. The journey, not the destination...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.