GDT: Red Wings At Sabres 7PM MSG

Brawndo

If someone could send me Mr. Blacks direct feedback link that would be cool.. but here's what I just sent the team. Well, I think I sent. After all it just took me back to the main page with no information that it was received.

Dear Sabres Leadership,

A few nights ago I watched the Anaheim Ducks pay tribute to a great player in Teemu Selanne. The ceremony was covered on NHL Network. How great I thought. Teemu was a great player and deserves a ton of respect. He played a long time and played the right way. It was great to see. Knowing that in a few short days the team I root for would be raising #39 to the rafters gave me hope that Buffalo might shine in the national spotlight. After all, our team may be struggling but at least we could put on a great show for a goaltender who meant everything to the franchise when he played and certainly meant a lot to fans.

So, I was dismayed when I saw no listing for the Hasek ceremony on the NHL Network guide. No worries, at least we can still put on a good show for our fans I figured.

I am writing tonight to tell you that tonight's ceremony for Dominik Hasek should serve as notice to every player who dons the Sabres logo that the franchise just doesn't care. You'd think that one member of the leadership would speak or even be seen on the ice. You'd think that some former players would be on hand to tell a story or two about their teammate. You'd think someone other than Mr. Hasek would be on the ice, all by himself.

You'd think that the production team could at least get the kids on the ice after that extremely awkward moment where Mr. Hasek is looking around and shrugging his shoulders. While it was a nice touch having Danny Gare and Rene Robert skate out the banner it became somewhat of a circus sideshow when the gentleman who was hooking up the banner couldn't get that right.

Good production people exist in this world. They might even be in Buffalo. I am certain the Sabres could find a few somewhere in the world. They paid to have former players flown in for the 40th anniversary after all.

So what does that ceremony say to players? That ownership can't be bothered to show up for a banner raising ceremony? They don't happen all that often. That ownership can't be bothered to put on a good show for the fans? That ownership can't be bothered to celebrate the career of a an all-time great NHL player, let alone a Sabre?

What I see tonight echoed the effort on the ice some nights. Why should the players try when ownership doesn't want to? Why should the fans care if ownership doesn't appear to?

For what it's worth that was the last time this season I will have a Sabres game on in my house. It might be the last time for quite some time assuming the NHL doesn't begin accepting that local fans don't want to have an expensive TV subscription just for 82 games a year.

I had thought about using the money I saved to buy tickets for my son and I to attend a game. I've thrown that idea out the window as well. After all, why should I give any money to this team after that wretched display?

The entire thing stinks of a cheap marketing ploy to try and sell tickets in what was bound to be a horrible season.

This is just another in a long line of blunders in honoring former players. For all the talk about cherishing the fans it certainly seems as though they had their faces spit in tonight.

Holy displacement. You're pissed about the way the team plays or is motivated or what ownership or the front office is up to, but you're going to jack up the game production and PR guys in an email about a banner raising ceremony and declare a personal TV and attendance strike? Zany.

For what it's worth, the TV rights were settled well before the Sabres announced the banner raising date. And if the game's on NHL Network, isn't it blacked out locally on MSG...? I also think getting two of the four remaining retired players on the ice isn't so bad. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the Red Wings could beat that number going forward (Lidstrom and Yzerman may unfortunately be the only guys that can still lace their own skates). And there's this stuff: "The Buffalo ceremony comes just a few months after he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. It is also part of a quest team owner Terry Pegula wanted to see happen since he bought the Sabres four years ago." I didn't see if the Pegulas were in the building or not, but I'd be surprised if they missed it. Did they need to be on the ice? Did Gionta?

Maybe Dom told them he wanted to keep it simple.

Maybe.

And so what if Joe Arena Worker's got a clubbed hand from a Zamboni accident on the job and couldn't quite get that little hook thing to clasp in front of 19,070 like they practiced it? No pressure.

Yeah, they could've and probably should've put more pizzazz on it.

I'm happy for Dom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7x2LfbByaY

Does that mean you'll go back to your old avatar and embrace the tank again?

:P

I never unembraced it. I just got tired of being disappointed when disappointment should've been impossible. This picture is a better representation of the current team, though.

I never unembraced it. I just got tired of being disappointed when disappointment should've been impossible. This picture is a better representation of the current team, though.

It's been a pretty iconic month for the Sabres this year. You know you're having a pathetic year when the Bills are getting more attention in January than the Sabres.

It's been a pretty iconic month for the Sabres this year. You know you're having a pathetic year when the Bills are getting more attention in January than the Sabres.

Says a lot about both teams that the one not playing anymore is the more relevant one.

our second pp unit was Meszaros, Varone, Stafford, Flynn, and Gorges... we are going to suck for years.

In two seasons of some of the most yawn-inducing rosters in 40 years of watching the Sabres, that may have been the blandest. There were literally only six players dressed tonight that I hope are back with the Sabres next season. And just three I would be upset if they aren't.

Do they actually sit down and plan these ceremonies? I mean jesus that was boring. I am pretty sure a couple liquored up frat boys could have put together something better.

I'm OK with simple, but that didn't have any emotional resonance at all. Maybe it typified the fanbase's feelings for Dom. A ridiculous amount of respect, but not a lot of real love.

are we all in agreement that there is not another player between Hasek and now that deserves a number retired? Because IMPO the Sabres do it all to often.

With the exception of Horton, I love every guy up there. But only 39 and 11 deserve jersey retirement. in my view that's an honour that should be reserved only for Hall-of-famers who played the majority of their careers here.

I am not sure this team would win in the AHL.

Sure it would. It's a solid AHL team.

I agree. But I hope they try that so I can be sure.

Can somebody please do a mock-up in photoshop?

And then make the forum's default avatar?

Edited by dudacek

I was at the gym - I did an hour on the bike and got to watch it on the bike's monitor. Not as awful as some games - shot differential was ONLY a -4. Guess that was a good effort for Hasek night for this bunch.

I was looking at the stats and saw that Nolan mercifully limited Hodgson to 10 minutes of ice time. Probably why the shot differential was better. Even then, Hodgson managed to end up -1, and have no SOG. Why is he out there again? Oh yeah, to pass the puck to someone else as quickly as he possibly can. What a slug!

Edited by Jsixspd

FWIW, I had NHL network on last night and they devoted about 20 minutes or so to Hasek showing clips from the banner raising, highlights from his career, and the LaFontaine narrated piece for his HOF enshrinement. Kevin Weeks called him the Michael Jordan of hockey, and I also learned that Gretzky once said that #39 had the best hockey IQ of all time. I haven't seen the Sabres ceremony, but I thought NHL network did a nice job.

Holy displacement. You're pissed about the way the team plays or is motivated or what ownership or the front office is up to, but you're going to jack up the game production and PR guys in an email about a banner raising ceremony and declare a personal TV and attendance strike? Zany.

For what it's worth, the TV rights were settled well before the Sabres announced the banner raising date. And if the game's on NHL Network, isn't it blacked out locally on MSG...? I also think getting two of the four remaining retired players on the ice isn't so bad. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the Red Wings could beat that number going forward (Lidstrom and Yzerman may unfortunately be the only guys that can still lace their own skates). And there's this stuff: "The Buffalo ceremony comes just a few months after he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. It is also part of a quest team owner Terry Pegula wanted to see happen since he bought the Sabres four years ago." I didn't see if the Pegulas were in the building or not, but I'd be surprised if they missed it. Did they need to be on the ice? Did Gionta?

Maybe.

And so what if Joe Arena Worker's got a clubbed hand from a Zamboni accident on the job and couldn't quite get that little hook thing to clasp in front of 19,070 like they practiced it? No pressure.

Yeah, they could've and probably should've put more pizzazz on it.

I'm happy for Dom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7x2LfbByaY

I'll pick this up in the Dom ceremony thread at this point. Displacement? Hardly. I'm blaming the entirety of the leadership. Jump over there. TV production this year is also absolutely horrible. It's a laugh.

FWIW, I had NHL network on last night and they devoted about 20 minutes or so to Hasek showing clips from the banner raising, highlights from his career, and the LaFontaine narrated piece for his HOF enshrinement. Kevin Weeks called him the Michael Jordan of hockey, and I also learned that Gretzky once said that #39 had the best hockey IQ of all time. I haven't seen the Sabres ceremony, but I thought NHL network did a nice job.

Good. NHL Network had the entire Selanne ceremony on. It was even listed as an event, on the guide, prior to the Jets and Ducks game. It wasn't some highlight on NHL Tonight.

I was at the gym - I did an hour on the bike and got to watch it on the bike's monitor. Not as awful as some games - shot differential was ONLY a -4. Guess that was a good effort for Hasek night for this bunch.

I was looking at the stats and saw that Nolan mercifully limited Hodgson to 10 minutes of ice time. Probably why the shot differential was better. Even then, Hodgson managed to end up -1, and have no SOG. Why is he out there again? Oh yeah, to pass the puck to someone else as quickly as he possibly can. What a slug!

1 thing that seemed interesting is when the teams took to the ice to re-warm up after the ceremony, all the Sabres but 2 hit the ice: Jhonas didn't go out (makes sense; why get sweaty if you're gonna sit on the bench for the next 1/2 hour) and Cody only was out for the last 10 seconds or so. He'd just stood there watching. Might be indicative of where his head is at at present.

1 thing that seemed interesting is when the teams took to the ice to re-warm up after the ceremony, all the Sabres but 2 hit the ice: Jhonas didn't go out (makes sense; why get sweaty if you're gonna sit on the bench for the next 1/2 hour) and Cody only was out for the last 10 seconds or so. He'd just stood there watching. Might be indicative of where his head is at at present.

Shove so far up his @$$ he thinks his sh## doesn't stink?

You know, it struck me just now: The team is right back where it was early in the season... you know- they kind of played up to their opponent up until the first goal was scored, then all the wind fell out of their sails. Doubly so since it was a shorthanded goal. The rest of the game they were kind of sleepwalking. They had a few opportunities (I think I counted three solid scoring chances, scoring on one). For three moments in time, the team was exciting. The rest of the game was so.... meh.

You know, it struck me just now: The team is right back where it was early in the season... you know- they kind of played up to their opponent up until the first goal was scored, then all the wind fell out of their sails. Doubly so since it was a shorthanded goal. The rest of the game they were kind of sleepwalking. They had a few opportunities (I think I counted three solid scoring chances, scoring on one). For three moments in time, the team was exciting. The rest of the game was so.... meh.

Thanks @fakehankbullough !

Really expect that Gionta out of the lineup is a much greater loss than the stat sheet would indicate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.