Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I would've liked this pick in a trade back, but I'm not a fan at 50. It certainly helps long-term as they likely have to cut/trade McKelvin as others get paid soon. Right now it doesn't do a whole lot. You need a lot of corners but he's going to be the 4th/5th corner on the depth chart.

I would've liked this pick in a trade back, but I'm not a fan at 50. It certainly helps long-term as they likely have to cut/trade McKelvin as others get paid soon. Right now it doesn't do a whole lot. You need a lot of corners but he's going to be the 4th/5th corner on the depth chart.

Right on

Quickly, man, please tell me about this picture!

Drafting at the back of the 2nd round isn't exactly a spot where you're guaranteed a starter at any position. Our current corners are Gilmore-McKelvin-Graham-Robey-Brooks. Brooks is terrible, so I'm not sure he really counts. Despite what the Bills are saying publicly, I haven't seen anything indicating Duke Williams is good enough to lock down the starting safety position across from Williams--I expect Graham to be flipping between corner and safety depending on the personnel package. If Duke can't hold it down, then Darby is likely our nickel as a rookie.

Beyond this season, McKelvin is only under contract through 2016, and the Bills can save $3.9 million in cap space next season if they cut him after this year. Given the way Clay's contract got structured and the need to sign Dareus to an extension, I think it's very likely he gets cut for that cap space. Darby has a year to develop in a depth role before taking over as starter across from Gilmore next season, especially since Whaley has said we're not players in UFA next year so we probably can't sign a corner upgrade there. Given how important corners are in Rex's defense, I think it's a smart move.

Again, I personally would have gone OL and hoped to get an immediate starter there, but going corner is pretty logical.

Drafting at the back of the 2nd round isn't exactly a spot where you're guaranteed a starter at any position. Our current corners are Gilmore-McKelvin-Graham-Robey-Brooks. Brooks is terrible, so I'm not sure he really counts. Despite what the Bills are saying publicly, I haven't seen anything indicating Duke Williams is good enough to lock down the starting safety position across from Williams--I expect Graham to be flipping between corner and safety depending on the personnel package. If Duke can't hold it down, then Darby is likely our nickel as a rookie.

Beyond this season, McKelvin is only under contract through 2016, and the Bills can save $3.9 million in cap space next season if they cut him after this year. Given the way Clay's contract got structured and the need to sign Dareus to an extension, I think it's very likely he gets cut for that cap space. Darby has a year to develop in a depth role before taking over as starter across from Gilmore next season, especially since Whaley has said we're not players in UFA next year so we probably can't sign a corner upgrade there. Given how important corners are in Rex's defense, I think it's a smart move.

Again, I personally would have gone OL and hoped to get an immediate starter there, but going corner is pretty logical.

Good post

we haven't drafted one in the first 3 rounds since 2012.

In a stunning development, bills fans hate a draft pick.

I don't hate it...  I just don't like it...  There's a difference.

All good points but I can tell you Donnie Henderson loves Duke Williams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.