Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Not all exits will be cleared though...so you may not be able to exit where you intend to.

I use the I-90 headed east. Funny thing happened on Wednesday. I drove by the entrance "just in case" and the pylons weren't up. So I drove up to the toll plaza and the operator asked me if I was headed towards Buffalo or Rochester. I said Rochester and he let me through. I drove the entire length of my commute without seeing another vehicle. Not a law enforcement vehicle, not a Thruway Authority vehicle in either direction. It was surreal, like a scene out of a dystopian movie. I got off at the henrietta exit without issue. I checked the Thruway Authority website a couple hours later to see if my return route would be open and there was a new notice on the site stating emphatically that the Thruway is closed in both directions from henrietta to the state line. I think someone jumped the gun and opened east bound travel before they were supposed to and quickly shut it back down. It was pretty frickin cool to have the thruway to myself.

I'm sure there'll be more stories of collapsing roofs with time, but the rescue I volunteer at is trying to raise money for a farm whose barn collapsed. I guess it killed one of their horses and has another pinned, and also collapsed with all the hay for the winter inside, which they cannot reach. We're trying to raise about $700 for them for replacement hay, so far we've raised about $500 in the last 18 hours or so.

I'll probably end up donating to several more places before the week is out- if anyone there knows of other ways I can help, do let me know. I may be in Rochester, but we're neighbors too.

I use the I-90 headed east. Funny thing happened on Wednesday. I drove by the entrance "just in case" and the pylons weren't up. So I drove up to the toll plaza and the operator asked me if I was headed towards Buffalo or Rochester. I said Rochester and he let me through. I drove the entire length of my commute without seeing another vehicle. Not a law enforcement vehicle, not a Thruway Authority vehicle in either direction. It was surreal, like a scene out of a dystopian movie. I got off at the henrietta exit without issue. I checked the Thruway Authority website a couple hours later to see if my return route would be open and there was a new notice on the site stating emphatically that the Thruway is closed in both directions from henrietta to the state line. I think someone jumped the gun and opened east bound travel before they were supposed to and quickly shut it back down. It was pretty frickin cool to have the thruway to myself.

Liger, I left early that day in case I had to use an alternate route. Obviously, with no traffic I was going to be way early as it is. The whole ride I was thinking to myself, I wish I was late so I would have a good excuse to open it up and use the Thruway as my personal toy for a little while. No point in risking ticket when I was already way early.

That's really neat.

One of the local stations here in NC last night mentioned that they're sending someone up there to cover this story. Why do we need NC weather people showing up to cover this stuff? I can't imagine this story has any impact on the day to day life of the typical person down here. It's just one more person getting in the way.

The reporter is going to be really disappointed at the lack of pillaging and baby-eating.

I use the I-90 headed east. Funny thing happened on Wednesday. I drove by the entrance "just in case" and the pylons weren't up. So I drove up to the toll plaza and the operator asked me if I was headed towards Buffalo or Rochester. I said Rochester and he let me through. I drove the entire length of my commute without seeing another vehicle. Not a law enforcement vehicle, not a Thruway Authority vehicle in either direction. It was surreal, like a scene out of a dystopian movie.

I had something similar happen on I95 once. I was on my bike and pulled over just after the toll booth to put on an extra layer. A cop pulls up and asks how long I was going to be, and told me to hurry up. They were working on something and had both directions closed for 15 minutes at a time. I got moving and had all of 95 to myself for about 10 miles. Surreal is the right word.

I just found out that the guy who died trapped in his buried car is someone I went to high school with. Knew him, but not well.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm officially over all the "patting ourselves on the back" BS that's going on right now from this storm. There's some video out now parodying that awful song from Frozen with some girl singing about how Buffalo will "come back strong".

FFS, it's a snowstorm, not Hurricane Katrina. Can everyone stop congratulating themselves for doing something as simple as being decent human beings? "I helped my neighbor!" Good for you.

Edited by d4rksabre

Sorry to hear that.

I'm officially over all the "patting ourselves on the back" BS that's going on right now from this storm. There's some video out now parodying that awful song from Frozen with some girl singing about how Buffalo will "come back strong".

FFS, it's a snowstorm, not Hurricane Katrina. Can everyone stop congratulating themselves for doing something as simple as being decent human beings? "I helped my neighbor!" Good for you.

I just hope they don't utter the phrase Buffalo Strong.

Sorry to hear that.

Careful. You'll get a spanking.

Another thing. When a guy has a heart attack while raking leaves, do they say he was killed by Autumn?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.