Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm at work. Wife emailed me and said that the grocery store shelves are bare. Even Gatorade is sold out.

Milk, bread, and eggs. Am I the only one that doesn't have a compulsion to gorge on French Toast when there is a lake effect snow storm forecasted?

I'm at work. Wife emailed me and said that the grocery store shelves are bare. Even Gatorade is sold out.

Milk, bread, and eggs. Am I the only one that doesn't have a compulsion to gorge on French Toast when there is a lake effect snow storm forecasted?

We got stuck in DC on the way back from North Carolina back in maybe '06. Ended up in a hotel and our mom went to the local grocery store to get microwaveable food and asked what we wanted. We said pizza rolls... Pizza rolls were sold out. Along with water and toilet paper.

I thought the milk, bread and egg frenzy was unique to the south with an approaching storm. I don't ever recall seeing that when living in Buffalo.

If there is much over 2-3" and the temp stays cold enough such that the roads can re-freeze overnight, then there's a good chance that a single snow event will get you several free days off.

Yep. This.

I learned to drive in Buffalo. I know how to handle snow. But the way southern cities so totally ignore icy roads is shocking... as in, I was shocked when I did a 360 on an ice-covered exit ramp that would have been salted by any sane northern city.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

4WD or AWD?

Most modern day 4wd in SUVs is just a glorified AWD

And 4wd is useless if you don't know how to properly use it, usually all it does is inflate the ego of the driver who thinks turning it on (can't even say shifting into 4wd anymore since most are push button/dial activated) makes them invinsible on the roads and can drive like they would on a hot summers day.

I have seen varying weather reports for up here and nothing about snow, mostly just heavy winds.

I'm hoping for no snow though, the wife gets her snow tires put on tomorrow and my jeep is in the shop tonight after it decided it didn't like its rear wheel anymore and tried to get rid of it driving home on the highway.............

Most modern day 4wd in SUVs is just a glorified AWD

And 4wd is useless if you don't know how to properly use it, usually all it does is inflate the ego of the driver who thinks turning it on (can't even say shifting into 4wd anymore since most are push button/dial activated) makes them invinsible on the roads and can drive like they would on a hot summers day.

I have seen varying weather reports for up here and nothing about snow, mostly just heavy winds.

I'm hoping for no snow though, the wife gets her snow tires put on tomorrow and my jeep is in the shop tonight after it decided it didn't like its rear wheel anymore and tried to get rid of it driving home on the highway.............

My favorite aspect of 4WD in my old Suburban was that it made decelerating easier. You just have to get past the illusion that it'll make you turn any better.

I thought the milk, bread and egg frenzy was unique to the south with an approaching storm. I don't ever recall seeing that when living in Buffalo.

Nah, down here it's usually canned goods and pasta. Unless you've taken preparation to the next level down here, anything that's required to stay at or below room temp is out of the question.

Yeah. Thundersnow as well. It's by far the coolest weather phenomenon we get around here. Second only IMO to the 'desert tornado' things that happen in the southwest.

Here's the National Weather Service forecast for the Buffalo airport for perspective for the out of towners.

http://forecast.weat...=168&x=84&y=169

Thunder snow? How come it's not called thunder rain?

Ah, good old Buffalo snow. I started my first paper route the day the Blizzard of 77 hit. We dug a fort in the back yard that you didn't have to pile up snow and could stand up in.

The first year my wife came up to Buffalo, we drove from DC two days before x-mas and there was no snow on the ground. She was grumbling about it and said something sarcastic being an NYC girl. I said be careful what you wish for. Started snowing the next day and we got 5 feet before it was all said it done. Needless to say I got the last laugh. We get a little now that I am near Danbury, CT in the NY side of the border but nothing compared to the good old days.

Grocery shelves empty. You guys are becoming pansies. Should already have enough stocked. Streets will be cleared in a day or two max. Folks must be listening to much tot he hype. Turn off the TV and radio once it starts and take the kids outside for some fun. Common Buffalo, don't become like the wimps in the South. I am so ashamed to hear this reaction.

I know this will NEVER happen, but the NHL should set up an emergency fund for weather events such as this where the teams could then play the game as scheduled but have the teams advise that fans will not be permitted into the stadium (to prevent people forcing travel). The fund would make up the profits for the game for the teams and give them extra to allow them to give out tickets to a future game for fans who have tickets to that game.

Ah, good old Buffalo snow. I started my first paper route the day the Blizzard of 77 hit. We dug a fort in the back yard that you didn't have to pile up snow and could stand up in.

The first year my wife came up to Buffalo, we drove from DC two days before x-mas and there was no snow on the ground. She was grumbling about it and said something sarcastic being an NYC girl. I said be careful what you wish for. Started snowing the next day and we got 5 feet before it was all said it done. Needless to say I got the last laugh. We get a little now that I am near Danbury, CT in the NY side of the border but nothing compared to the good old days.

Grocery shelves empty. You guys are becoming pansies. Should already have enough stocked. Streets will be cleared in a day or two max. Folks must be listening to much tot he hype. Turn off the TV and radio once it starts and take the kids outside for some fun. Common Buffalo, don't become like the wimps in the South. I am so ashamed to hear this reaction.

Thank God the wind isn't really blowing. There is at least 3 feet in just 12 hours. If this band doesn't move, plows won't be able to get to sidestreets and you will probably get a blizzard classification just from the carnage. One of the top 5-10 snowfalls I have ever seen.

Here's a webcam on Elmwood Avenue that shows the "killer snowstorm""

http://gobefore.me/cams/panos_on_elmwood/

A few areas are like that. Elsewhere it's disastrous.

You really live up to your username sometimes.

Edited by Tankalicious

I know this will NEVER happen, but the NHL should set up an emergency fund for weather events such as this where the teams could then play the game as scheduled but have the teams advise that fans will not be permitted into the stadium (to prevent people forcing travel). The fund would make up the profits for the game for the teams and give them extra to allow them to give out tickets to a future game for fans who have tickets to that game.

What benefit is having tickets to a "future game" for a STH; which happens to be the bulk of the ticket holders?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.