Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I know this will NEVER happen, but the NHL should set up an emergency fund for weather events such as this where the teams could then play the game as scheduled but have the teams advise that fans will not be permitted into the stadium (to prevent people forcing travel). The fund would make up the profits for the game for the teams and give them extra to allow them to give out tickets to a future game for fans who have tickets to that game.

Per Facebook, Sabres are offering exactly this to any fans who can't make it tonight.

You guys are going to have some serious flooding issues when this all melts.

This is a disaster. Sitting on 4-5 feet....it's STILL in the same spot with another 2 feet by tomorrow....a 12 hour break, then another 2-3 feet Thursday/Friday.....THEN....60 degrees Mon/Tues.

First the roofs, then the basements.....F....

The neighbors had gas backing up into their house and it took me almost 15 minutes to dig 70 feet.

I hope the Sabres have a bench clearing brawl and win 12-2. I need some entertainment.

Wasn't there a game against Philly in 05 or 06 in which we played through a snow storm and won big?

Yes. 4 days after the October Surprise. It was a 9-1 win and Hitchcock was fired days later.

They also played (and beat) the Rangers the day after the storm.

Edited by Eleven

It was October 17, 2006.

Thanks. I looked it up and yep, I remember it. Afinogenov was my favorite player growing up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1q0ZFUcLE

Edit: Wow, I actually forgot how loud that place can get. And that was only for an October game. I can't wait for hockey to be relevant again

Edited by WildCard

Everyone I know seems to have hit their shoveling quota and given up, declaring it "time to start drinking".

Yea, I quit. Shoveled out the walkway from the doors so if God feels like dumping on me some more and decides it would be a good time for the place to burn down, I can easily get out. Took 3 hours. I've lived in the area my entire life and I have never seen anything like this with respect to how fast it came down and how much more we're still expected to get.

Yea, I quit. Shoveled out the walkway from the doors so if God feels like dumping on me some more and decides it would be a good time for the place to burn down, I can easily get out. Took 3 hours. I've lived in the area my entire life and I have never seen anything like this with respect to how fast it came down and how much more we're still expected to get.

I'm worried about the melting snow this weekend more than anything.

What does helpless feel like? My dad is right along the Cheektowaga/W Seneca border, so ground zero basically. He can't get at the vent for his furnace. and the snow is too deep for him to wade through to get at it. He's worried about the furnace kicking off when the snow covers the vent. And no way to get to him to help.

What does helpless feel like? My dad is right along the Cheektowaga/W Seneca border, so ground zero basically. He can't get at the vent for his furnace. and the snow is too deep for him to wade through to get at it. He's worried about the furnace kicking off when the snow covers the vent. And no way to get to him to help.

Snowmobile? That's all I can think of. Maybe even call the local police and see if they have any ideas.

:( Any chance of getting the National Guard to check on him? Probably naive on my part, but hopefully there is someone who can check on him.

City of good neighbors. Call a neighbor, use facebook. Call in a favor. I'm from that area, they take care of their own. Good luck and God's speed.

Another thought. I was a volunteer fireman. On nights like this a crew would usually man the house and the rookies like me would have to dig out the hydrants. You might want to see if anyone is manning the house. Again good luck!

Snowmobile? That's all I can think of. Maybe even call the local police and see if they have any ideas.

:( Any chance of getting the National Guard to check on him? Probably naive on my part, but hopefully there is someone who can check on him.

Everything is fine right now. We just don't have a way to help him make sure his furnace vent stays clear. Emergency services are pretty overloaded right now. he'd be really low on the priority list.

I wish neighbors were an option but they are all older as well and would have the same challenges he would.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.