Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

First time poster so take it easy!  Usually just check in after looking at the Bills news.  Used to be a big Sabres fan growing up watching Pereault, Robert, Martin, Gare, Shoney and even that guy named after the best donut place ever.  Also enjoyed watching the great Edmonton teams and a wide-open NHL.  Enjoyed the Hasek years because he'd routinely do things I'd never seen before but frankly, increasingly lost interest because the NHL allowed the sport to become a low-scoring, tame affair by letting Garth Snow wear equipment that covered the whole net and not countering the neutral zone trap stupidity.  I'd pay $50 to go to a Sabres game and fall asleep just as quickly as watching a soccer match. 

I've enjoyed the pro-tank, anti-tank banter here but, honestly, the tank is what is making Sabres hockey interesting again and bringing me back to the sport.  I like our young players and am looking forward to getting a first line together that could actually be one of the best in the league and worth watching.  Because of the screwed up NHL draft system its not the Sabres fault that they need to finish dead last.  If the Sabres don't finish last, knowing Buffalo luck, they will get the 3rd pick or worse and we will end up with some stupid defenseman or average winger.  So I am rooting against them for just 20 more games.  After that I plan to return to watching a much more interesting team.  Yes, I feel a little guilty but it's the only way to go.  If the Sabres don't get McEichel than I'm afraid we are in for another decade of pretty boring hockey.  This town deserves one of the best players in the NHL again!

My question is...is McDavid really that much better than Eichel?  What are the odds either of these guys is a head case and won't pan out?  I've been assuming from the talk they are 1A and 1B but read some strange things about Eichel.

First time poster so take it easy!  Usually just check in after looking at the Bills news.  Used to be a big Sabres fan growing up watching Pereault, Robert, Martin, Gare, Shoney and even that guy named after the best donut place ever.  Also enjoyed watching the great Edmonton teams and a wide-open NHL.  Enjoyed the Hasek years because he'd routinely do things I'd never seen before but frankly, increasingly lost interest because the NHL allowed the sport to become a low-scoring, tame affair by letting Garth Snow wear equipment that covered the whole net and not countering the neutral zone trap stupidity.  I'd pay $50 to go to a Sabres game and fall asleep just as quickly as watching a soccer match. 

I've enjoyed the pro-tank, anti-tank banter here but, honestly, the tank is what is making Sabres hockey interesting again and bringing me back to the sport.  I like our young players and am looking forward to getting a first line together that could actually be one of the best in the league and worth watching.  Because of the screwed up NHL draft system its not the Sabres fault that they need to finish dead last.  If the Sabres don't finish last, knowing Buffalo luck, they will get the 3rd pick or worse and we will end up with some stupid defenseman or average winger.  So I am rooting against them for just 20 more games.  After that I plan to return to watching a much more interesting team.  Yes, I feel a little guilty but it's the only way to go.  If the Sabres don't get McEichel than I'm afraid we are in for another decade of pretty boring hockey.  This town deserves one of the best players in the NHL again!

My question is...is McDavid really that much better than Eichel?  What are the odds either of these guys is a head case and won't pan out?  I've been assuming from the talk they are 1A and 1B but read some strange things about Eichel.

Welcome aboard.

Not enough data to comment on your 1st Q. As to your 2nd, I'd be shocked if either flames out.

Its just my opinion but he's 1a and Eickel is 1b. He is that much better. 100 points in 38 games in his league puts him ahead of Crosby and a host of others by a wide margin when they competed at that level. I should add he missed about 2 mths due to injury

Edited by bunomatic

Welcome back. This year has certainly reinvigorated my interest in watching 16 and 17-year olds skate!

I don't remember another draft where the top two were such sure things. There is no doubt broad consensus that McDavid is number one, and most other years Eichel would be. Not sure which "strange things" you've heard, other than freshman college kid enjoying campus life a bit, but both are praised for their mental game (both on and off-ice) just as much as physical. 

It's not 1a and 1b. McDavid is, in a weird way, light years better than Eichel. And that isn't an indictment of Eichel in anyway. They're both going to be great. But it's 1 and 2.

Its 1a and 1b then all the rest. I agree. McDavid is the better player.

That last game of the season against Arinoza could be really interesting!

Yep, which is one of the many reasons why I hope Neuvirth is traded. The Sabres won't have to come up w/ an excuse for him not starting the game. Let me add I do hope Buffalo can bring him back in the offseason. 

Edited by thanes16

1) Get rid of Timmah 

2) Welcome and post more

Magic Numbers for games played through 2/28

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis - Clinched

Pittsburgh - 2

Chicago - 3

Washington - 6

Winnipeg, Vancouver, Minnesota - 9

Boston - 11

Los Angeles, Calgary - 12

San Jose - 14

Florida - 15

Colorado, Philadelphia - 17

Dallas, Ottawa - 18

New Jersey - 20

Columbus - 26

Toronto, Carolina - 27

Arizona - 35

Edmonton - 36

The Rangers, Lightning, Red Wings and Blues all clinches based on the early games.

Pittsburgh can clinch today.

Edited by Tank

Eichel is leading the NCAA in scoring across the entire country as a true freshman in a league wherr most freshman at already 20 years old.

McDavid is playing against teenagers.

100pts in 38 games is impressive but what Eichel is doing is just as impressive IMO. Both will be dominant.

That last game of the season against Arinoza could be really interesting!

Edmonton is playing well so I don't think they are the worry but Arizona really looks bad and the Sabres play them twice at the end of March.  We better not sweep those!  One thing that might save us from passing Arizona is that they play 12 out of their final 19 games at home where they have a few wins.  So lets hope Arizona likes home-cookin' this month.

Edited by smj

Edmonton is playing well so I don't think they are the worry but Arizona really looks bad and the Sabres play them twice at the end of March.  We better not sweep those!  One thing that might save us from passing Arizona is that they play 12 out of their final 19 games at home where they have a few wins.  So lets hope Arizona like home-cookin' this month.

for the right price I will volunteer to play goalie for those 2 contests