Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Can't imagine he goes anywhere. He's a perfect veteran presence on the blue line. Plus, trading him away after convincing him to come here wouldn't look good for Murray or Buffalo.

Im not sure how bad it'd look? We took a chance and it didnt quite workout. His body is pretty fragile at this point of his career, i am not so sure he has too many years left in him and does he want to spend them rebuilding? I think it'd be a classy move to send him to a winner. The blueline is going to need some veterans next season for sure but i think Marc Methot from Ottawa will be priority number one. With/or without Myers.

Can't imagine he goes anywhere. He's a perfect veteran presence on the blue line. Plus, trading him away after convincing him to come here wouldn't look good for Murray or Buffalo.

Unless he requests it

No doubt this season is trying for him, Gionta, and Moulson; but IMHO can't see any of them asking to be dealt nor being dealt. Any other guys TM brought in that are on this squad; can see them being dealt in a heartbeat. Though having to give up a pick to get rid of Mess or Beano (not even going into that sort of trade tanking the tank) makes either essentially untradeable. (And there was much rejoicing. ;))

No doubt this season is trying for him, Gionta, and Moulson; but IMHO can't see any of them asking to be dealt nor being dealt. Any other guys TM brought in that are on this squad; can see them being dealt in a heartbeat. Though having to give up a pick to get rid of Mess or Beano (not even going into that sort of trade tanking the tank) makes either essentially untradeable. (And there was much rejoicing. ;))

I agree. Moulson, Gionta and Gorges all came here knowing full well what was in store for them. While they may not have expected a 12 game losing streak, I highly doubt any of them envisioned anything better than a bottom 3 finish this year. I think those three want to be the early to late 30's group of veterans that play a vital role in post-season play. 

Was there much of a convincing process on this one? I don't really remember much talk about that. It was definitely a quicker process than Regehr. My memory could very easily be off though.

Was there much of a convincing process on this one? I don't really remember much talk about that. It was definitely a quicker process than Regehr. My memory could very easily be off though.

He had already vetoed Toronto. When the reality set in that Montreal was moving him regardless he accepted it. Like he said his wife was expecting and they wanted to move on. Doesn't mean he was happy about it.

Yeah, Gorges choices were go to Toronto which he vetoed already because of the Mon/Tor rivalry, go to Buffalo with Gionta, or stay with a team that was actively trying to get rid of him wherever they could. (Montreal thought he was so great they were willing to move them to a heated rival that they would play many times a year)

Yeah, Gorges choices were go to Toronto which he vetoed already because of the Mon/Tor rivalry, go to Buffalo with Gionta, or stay with a team that was actively trying to get rid of him wherever they could. (Montreal thought he was so great they were willing to move them to a heated rival that they would play many times a year)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The don't trade to a rival idea is complete BS. If the trade makes you better, you make it. In this case, what made Montreal better was some salary flexibility.

If you think the players good you don't deal him to a team you play against many times a year and will be competing for a playoff spot with. Trading him to the Sabres won't come back to bite the Habs because they probably won't be sniffing the playoffs til Gorges contract is almost up

And Toronto will? :lol:

? An this may have been brought up earlier, but does anyone think the Oilers, if Buffalo received the 1st pick in the draft and say the Oilers ended up third, would trade Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall or any of the their young guns, plus their 3rd pick for the Sabres 1st and would that be worth it to the Sabres as well?

? An this may have been brought up earlier, but does anyone think the Oilers, if Buffalo received the 1st pick in the draft and say the Oilers ended up third, would trade Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall or any of the their young guns, plus their 3rd pick for the Sabres 1st and would that be worth it to the Sabres as well?

It's been discussed, and there's no way I'd do it. It's an entertaining thought, but we've come this far for the Shart, not the fart.

If Buffalo is holding the #1 pick they are taking McDavid. However, I would love to be in a position to listen to the offers. They could realistically rebuild the team in one day. Just think of what the haul would be if you took what Edmonton gave you for #1 and then traded the Edmonton pick to whoever in the top 10 wanted it most.

You still have 3 firsts and god knows what you obtained in the two trades.

There is more than one way to rebuild.

Edited by sicknfla

If Buffalo is holding the #1 pick they are taking McDavid. However, I would love to be in a position to listen to the offers. They could realistically rebuild the team in one day. Just think of what the haul would be if you took what Edmonton gave you for #1 and then traded the Edmonton pick to whoever in the top 10 wanted it most.

You still have 3 firsts and god knows what you obtained in the two trades.

There is more than one way to rebuild.

Which is exactly what I was thinking past that statement and yeh I remember some discussion about it, but it is more and more looking like a real possibility,  or a bigger maybe?

Edited by Icehole

By selecting McDavid they will have rebuilt the team in a day (when considering our other pieces already in place).  Didn't Crosby put up huge numbers his rookie year?  Also someone projected McDavid getting something close to 90 points in his first year based on his OHL stats this season.

Which is exactly what I was thinking past that statement and yeh I remember some discussion about it, but it is more and more looking like a real possibility,  or a bigger maybe?

The only way I do it is if a Lindros type deal is on the table. So this:duchesne(Forsberg) O'Reilly (Ricci) Vlarmov (Hextall) Barrie (Duchesne) Johnson (Huffman) Plus picks For some reason I think the Avs don't do that deal

The only way I do it is if a Lindros type deal is on the table. So this: duchesne(Forsberg) O'Reilly (Ricci) Vlarmov (Hextall) Barrie (Duchesne) Johnson (Huffman) Plus picks For some reason I think the Avs don't do that deal

Deals like that would be funny to see now thanks to the contract limit.  We would have to send the first pick along with guys like Sundher and Bagnall just to stay under that limit.  It would be like sending Riley Boychuk to the Devils for Tallinder, except having three more of those bottom feeders included.

By selecting McDavid they will have rebuilt the team in a day (when considering our other pieces already in place). Didn't Crosby put up huge numbers his rookie year? Also someone projected McDavid getting something close to 90 points in his first year based on his OHL stats this season.

What exactly do we have in place? I don't mean that to be an ass it's a legit question. Other than Girgs, Risto, Zadarov, and Reinhart everyone else is a major question mark.

Even if the Lindros type deal could be pulled off.  Edmonton is not the team to do it with.

If they couldn't win with the stars that they have why do we think the Sabres could?  The Oilers might actually come out on top in that one.

No chance I would consider the trade, not with the Oilers.

The only way I do it is if a Lindros type deal is on the table. So this:duchesne(Forsberg) O'Reilly (Ricci) Vlarmov (Hextall) Barrie (Duchesne) Johnson (Huffman) Plus picks For some reason I think the Avs don't do that deal

I don't think Buffalo does it either. None of those guys are franchise-changers and, as a group, they haven't done much either. I would be pissed if that happened. Luckily it won't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.