2014 Sabres Training Camp

LGR4GM

I see a bunch of potential with Zadorov as well. I may be off on this but the main difference between those two right now may be attitude and work ethic. Risto lost a bunch of weight and Zads gained. Was the offseason program for Zads really to gain weight?

I think they're at different points in developing their game -- perhaps primarily with respect to skating.

I had not heard that Zadorov put on weight. Anyway, the fact that Risto lost weight does not mean that weight-gain wasn't Zadorov's goal.

The Sabres training camp release has him listed at 238. H's listed as an inch taller than Risto but 33 pounds heavier. That seems like a high playing weight. Especially someone who has to work on his skating. I just would not think the Sabres would give him an offseason plan where he comes to camp at 238. I'm not positive what Zad was playing at last season but I thought I read in another thread Liger say he had gained weight over the summer. Sure it could be muscle but it hasn't looked that way in the limited times I've seen him this year / what I've read.

Edit - it looks like he was playing around 220 to 225. That extra 15 pounds sounds like a lot from an already big dude.

Edited by Derrico

Just watched Teddy's press conference.

I know some think he's a lightweight, but I disagree.

This guy gets it.

Hockey is not played by systems, it is played by people on teams.

It's about simple expectations, meeting those expectations and trusting your teammates.

And hockey players aren't rocket surgeons.

Teddy knows what players need; he knows what is necessary to establish trust and confidence and what can poison trust and confidence. He makes decisions that his players find very easy to buy into because they make sense to the player.

He is the antithesis of Ron Rolston.

I hope he gets a chance to still be coaching when this team has some talent.

This guy gets it.

It's about simple expectations, meeting those expectations and trusting your teammates.

Teddy knows what players need; he knows what is necessary to establish trust and confidence and what can poison trust and confidence. He makes decisions that his players find very easy to buy into because they make sense to the player.

Cheers! Me too.

Just got back from a quick stop at the noon practice session. Wasn't able to stay long due to work requirements, but here's a few thoughts/observations:

Looks like they were working a lot on defensive positioning and breakout of the zone. Basically every drill I watched was some variation of retrive puck from own zone and transition to the breakout. With varying number of defensive players.

Its really tough to follow certain players with only numbers on the back, but the green line (Hodgson, Girgs) looked the best IMO.

Makarov (#50) was the goalie on my end, he struggled a bit and let in much more shots than the other goalie on the far end. Fighting shots on his mid right side.

I sat a few feet from GMTM. Spent the whole practice talking to his advisors/scouts sitting nearby.

Reinhart- I have to agree with PH assessment and with Nolan's no need to rush the kid I think it's going to be hard for him making this squad. Take the Tampa approach with this kid there is no need to rush him this team isn't going anywhere just yet. The only way this kid sticks if he standout big time like Myers did years ago.

Myers- let's not forget people that when Myers is on his game he can change the game. When he is involved in the offense some nights last year you could see the difference in games. The guy is still really young and with the right coaching and right players around him he could be a force. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

Stewart, Stafford- both in contract years which I believe they both might play out of their minds this year.

Hodgson- if he's on the wing might put up some solid points.

All in all this team I believe this team is much better. I think most people are going to see a team that is much better than u think plus they have a new coaching staff which might have a huge effect on players.

You've been beating the drum for Larsson for a while now. I've seen him do the same amount of good things on the ice as I've seen from Griggy -- i.e. zero. What are your reasons for advocating for Larsson?

Larsson was playing much better than Grigorenko during his last call up. Why on earth would we promote Grigs when we have the perfect 3rd line center sitting in Rochester. Larsson plays better defensively, has none of grigs skating issues, and is a persistent back/fore checker.

This guy gets it.

I don't think people see him as a lightweight -- more as unsophisticated. But I take your point.

I heard an analysis of the Seattle (Seahawks) defense the other day. It was something to the effect that they only use a handful of base sets (compare that with Pettine's dozens) and don't play complicated schemes -- their core philosophy is just to play physical, fast, and aggressive -- and beat the crap out of the other team on every snap. According to some, that's why Manning struggled against them -- his strength lies in diagnosing what a D is going to do on a pre-snap basis and then exploiting the weakness.

There may in fact be something to Nolan's philosophy. Lord knows, the NFL is a far more scheme-heavy league than the NHL.

Reinhart- I have to agree with PH assessment and with Nolan's no need to rush the kid I think it's going to be hard for him making this squad. Take the Tampa approach with this kid there is no need to rush him this team isn't going anywhere just yet. The only way this kid sticks if he standout big time like Myers did years ago.

Yep.

Larsson was playing much better than Grigorenko during his last call up. Why on earth would we promote Grigs when we have the perfect 3rd line center sitting in Rochester. Larsson plays better defensively, has none of grigs skating issues, and is a persistent back/fore checker.

More to the Larsson point, having a solid defensive 3rd line center who can skate and pass makes Reinhart easily expendable... meaning he can go back if needed.

My point wasn't that I prefer Griggy to Larsson -- it was that Larsson, like Griggy, hasn't done anything to demonstrate that he can be a good NHL player. While I agree that the scounting reports on Larsson indicate that he plays a 2-way game, we haven't seen him play a 2-way game at an NHL level.

Fine with me, but I think it's a bit more likely they keep him in Buffalo.

I was randomly wondering last night if Flynn was still on the team...

However, TN spoke pretty highly of him last year, so he'll probably end up where you're predicting.

You've been beating the drum for Larsson for a while now. I've seen him do the same amount of good things on the ice as I've seen from Griggy -- i.e. zero. What are your reasons for advocating for Larsson?

More to the Larsson point, having a solid defensive 3rd line center who can skate and pass makes Reinhart easily expendable... meaning he can go back if needed.

I'd see it this way: Larsson in 22. Grigs is 20(?) and would appear to need some time in the AHL to develop. I'm not going to say Larsson wouldn't benefit from the AHL too, but his likely place seems to 3rd line center, so if you're going to bring up someone to play 3rd line center (behind Ennis and Reinhart), you might as well bring the guy up that fits better. If he plays well, you can slot him in there for awhile. If Grigs comes in at 3rd-line center and doesn't set the world on fire, you still don't really know what you have.

My point wasn't that I prefer Griggy to Larsson -- it was that Larsson, like Griggy, hasn't done anything to demonstrate that he can be a good NHL player. While I agree that the scounting reports on Larsson indicate that he plays a 2-way game, we haven't seen him play a 2-way game at an NHL level.

i disagree with that statement. Every game he played last year his positioning and ability seemed to edge up. Larsson showed much more than Grigorenko.

I am not sure what scouting reports you are referring to.

I really like Larsson's complete game at the AHL level.

His play without the puck and his compete is NHL-calibre, IMO.

He has yet to show he can contribute offensively in the show.

Agree, especially with the bolded.

I'd see it this way: Larsson in 22. Grigs is 20(?) and would appear to need some time in the AHL to develop. I'm not going to say Larsson wouldn't benefit from the AHL too, but his likely place seems to 3rd line center, so if you're going to bring up someone to play 3rd line center (behind Ennis and Reinhart), you might as well bring the guy up that fits better. If he plays well, you can slot him in there for awhile. If Grigs comes in at 3rd-line center and doesn't set the world on fire, you still don't really know what you have.

That is my line of thinking. Grigs skills do not translate to 3rd line center. Larsson's do, impo.

I don't think he's arguing Grigorenko showed more than Larsson. He's arguing neither showed anything to warrant their play with the big club. I think I would agree with that idea. I didn't watch any Amerks games so not sure what he's done on the farm but he did not impress me at all when he got his shot with the Sabres. I thought he was easily pushed off the puck and just overall ineffective.

I don't think he's arguing Grigorenko showed more than Larsson. He's arguing neither showed anything to warrant their play with the big club. I think I would agree with that idea. I didn't watch any Amerks games so not sure what he's done on the farm but he did not impress me at all when he got his shot with the Sabres. I thought he was easily pushed off the puck and just overall ineffective.

Eggs-actly.

The guy between Larsson and a roster spot is Flynn. Flynn and Larsson would likely have similar roles. If Reinhart makes the team it gets interesting because the battle for the #4 center spot becomes Cody and Flynn, and they have very different assets to bring. And if Reinhart doesn't make the team Larsson still has to beat out Flynn for the #3 center spot.

Grigorenko isn't a factor in there anywhere.

The guy between Larsson and a roster spot is Flynn. Flynn and Larsson would likely have similar roles. If Reinhart makes the team it gets interesting because the battle for the #4 center spot becomes Cody and Flynn, and they have very different assets to bring. And if Reinhart doesn't make the team Larsson still has to beat out Flynn for the #3 center spot.

Grigorenko isn't a factor in there anywhere.

I think I just yakked. If Flynn is this team's #3 center I take back everything I've said about the team being a watchable brand of terrible.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I think I just yakked. If Flynn is this team's #3 center I take back everything I've said about the team being a watchable brand of terrible.

I don't really want to see Flynn on the roster either. But if Samson doesn't make the team, Flynn is the 3rd best center if Larsson can't beat him out.

And if Larsson can't steal a roster spot from Flynn he has no business being in the NHL.

Stafford Stewart Moulson Ennis Hodgson Girgensons, Gionta and Foligno — there is one spot open in the top nine, (two if Foligno ###### the dog again). You know they want Reinhart to fill it.

If he fails, they are in in trouble. They won't close the door on it being Grigorenko or Armia if they force themselves into the picture, but you know they'd prefer each of those guys in Rochester.

The interesting battles are in the bottom four: Mitchell, McCormick, Flynn, Deslauriers, Kaleta and Larsson all have legitimate shots. Larsson is really the only one I see in that group with an upside of an effective third-liner.

If he is ready to take that role, it's a good thing, even though I'd rather see him start the season on the fourth line.

But if Reinhart and Griggy aren't ready and he still can't beat out Flynn for line three, that's a problem. He does not need another year in the AHL.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.