2014 Sabres Training Camp

LGR4GM

I know reviews on Hamilton here are mixed. I often find him insightful. I heard him talking about Reinhart last night, and he gave an earnest and well-considered view on why the kid should be headed back to juniors. Hamilton's principal concerns are (1) he does not yet have the proverbial "man's body" and (2) he has shown a tendency to expose himself to big hits at the pro level (such as when Girgensons dialed him up at the prospect camp). In addition to which, PH offered rhetorically "What's the rush?"

PH also allowed that his views in this regard make him a "dinosaur." I'm not so sure. Like PH, I say Reinhart gets the courtesy look to start the season, and then gets sent back to the WHL.

I know reviews on Hamilton here are mixed. I often find him insightful. I heard him talking about Reinhart last night, and he gave an earnest and well-considered view on why the kid should be headed back to juniors. Hamilton's principal concerns are (1) he does not yet have the proverbial "man's body" and (2) he has shown a tendency to expose himself to big hits at the pro level (such as when Girgensons dialed him up at the prospect camp). In addition to which, PH offered rhetorically "What's the rush?"

PH also allowed that his views in this regard make him a "dinosaur." I'm not so sure. Like PH, I say Reinhart gets the courtesy look to start the season, and then gets sent back to the WHL.

Just think, if Reinhart gets sent back to juniors we get to look forward to Brian Flynn as a #3, and Cody McCormick as #4 center again. :rolleyes:

I think he gets his 9 games for coffee, gets sent down for juniors, and world juniors, called up for Amerks playoffs.

Fine with me, but I think it's a bit more likely they keep him in Buffalo.

Just think, if Reinhart gets sent back to juniors we get to look forward to Brian Flynn as a #3, and Cody McCormick as #4 center again. :rolleyes:

I was randomly wondering last night if Flynn was still on the team...

However, TN spoke pretty highly of him last year, so he'll probably end up where you're predicting.

Johan Larsson.

You've been beating the drum for Larsson for a while now. I've seen him do the same amount of good things on the ice as I've seen from Griggy -- i.e. zero. What are your reasons for advocating for Larsson?

Early lines in camp:

•  

B-Gy3IKD_bigger.jpeg

Your
    practice groups for today. Sam Reinhart between Marcus Foligno and Chris Stewart in Group A.

Some other notable
    practice lines: Moulson, Ennis, Stafford; Hodgson, Girgensons, Gionta; Deslauriers, McCormick, Kaleta.

That would be pretty good protection for Sam.

I think he gets his 9 games for coffee, gets sent down for juniors, and world juniors, called up for Amerks playoffs.

Does that burn a year of his contract? I don't know the specifics of ATO/PTO contracts at the AHL level and if a guy can play on one if he has already played games that already counted towards the NHL contract.

Early lines in camp:Your
practice groups for today. Sam Reinhart between Marcus Foligno and Chris Stewart in Group A.

Some other notable
practice lines: Moulson, Ennis, Stafford; Hodgson, Girgensons, Gionta; Deslauriers, McCormick, Kaleta.

That would be pretty good protection for Sam.

So:

Reinhart-Foligno-Stewart

Ennis-Moulson-Stafford

Zemgus-Hodgson-Gionta

McC-Deslauriers-Kaleta.

Am I crazy for kinda looking forward to seeing those lines in action?

i have no problem with mccormick as a 4th line center for ~50 games out of the year. i like him on the team in that role.

rostering flynn, OTOH, is a sure sign that your team is a bottom feeder. which would be fine by me this year.

So:

Reinhart-Foligno-Stewart

Ennis-Moulson-Stafford

Zemgus-Hodgson-Gionta

McC-Deslauriers-Kaleta.

Am I crazy for kinda looking forward to seeing those lines in action?

It is perfectly understandable to want to see our team play -- however the lines are structured. I don't care that we're pegged to be a bottom-5 team. I'm just excited that hockey's back. I may not feel that way in mid-November, but, whatever. For now: Da sun iz shininggg. It iz a byoo-tih-full dayyy. Let's get Cup Cah-ray-zee Two Tow-zen.

Picture of today's groups from Vogl:

rosters.jpg

yes

It is perfectly understandable to want to see our team play -- however the lines are structured. I don't care that we're pegged to be a bottom-5 team. I'm just excited that hockey's back. I may not feel that way in mid-November, but, whatever. For now: Da sun iz shininggg. It iz a byoo-tih-full dayyy. Let's get Cup Cah-ray-zee Two Tow-zen.

Picture of today's groups from Vogl:

But (I think) it's not just wanting to see our team -- those lines kinda strike me as having more potential than we've had in a while -- especially if Reinhart is the real deal.

Separately: it looks like Weber is ahead of Pysyk on the depth chart, at least for now.

But (I think) it's not just wanting to see our team -- those lines kinda strike me as having more potential than we've had in a while -- especially if Reinhart is the real deal.

Separately: it looks like Weber is ahead of Pysyk on the depth chart, at least for now.

I was just kidding. I agree. I think our team will be better this year than last and I kinda agree with the wookie. 40 more goals seems about right to me, which is still pretty bad.

Edited by SwampD

I think shrader was referring to the AHL Amerk playoffs callup. IIRC once your junior season ends, you can continue playing in the AHL for the reaminder of the season. The timing is generally right around when AHL playoffs occur.

That is what I'm talking about and I just looked around and answered my own question. The CBA specifically mentions 10 "NHL games". So those AHL playoffs wouldn't matter given. I got it mixed up with the free agency rules which essentially count AHL and NHL games played in the same category.

Risto down to 205 from 230 last year.

That was the other thing PH talked about last night: He said that Risto went to the Sabres training staff when he was assigned to Roc and asked how he could best go about being leaner, stronger, faster, etc. -- with the idea being that he did not want to stay in Roc for any longer than necessary.

The results are in apparently. I think that kid is going to be a stud.

The thing I am most looking forward to this year is watching Risto. He looked the best at development camp (and it wasn't even close) and I've heard good things regarding his play at the most recent tourney. A kid at his age with his size, if he can get the drive to be the best he can be then he'lll end up a monster.

I see a bunch of potential with Zadorov as well. I may be off on this but the main difference between those two right now may be attitude and work ethic. Risto lost a bunch of weight and Zads gained. Was the offseason program for Zads really to gain weight?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.