The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.thestar.c...sabres_cox.html

"Best-case scenario, we’re talking 2020 before it’s time to take Buffalo seriously again, and that’s if they get McDavid." Damien Cox.

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "taking Buffalo seriously"

If you mean contend to get into the playoffs, then I think you might be able to consider that in as soon as 2 years.

However, if you mean to contend for a Cup, or at least to be a top 6 team consistently, then yes, I can see it taking 5 years.

What I am hoping for (and I think we can be realistic about) is this:

This year: finish at or near the bottom, get that high pick.

Next season: Maybe not make the playoffs, but be in the converstaion for most of the year

2016-2017 season: Contend for playoff spot

2017-2018: Expect playoffs (and hopefully make)

2018-2019: legitimate top 10 team. (Remember at this point, Zadarov, Grigorenko, Risto, Girgensons, etc will still all be under 25 years old.)

"Best-case scenario, we’re talking 2020 before it’s time to take Buffalo seriously again, and that’s if they get McDavid." Damien Cox.

This would mean the "TANK" isnt even close to half over. It also means that I think Cox didn't do enough research of what really is going on in Buffalo with its treasure chest of prospects / future draft picks, its willingness to spend money on vets (when the time is right). Maybe I'm way too optistmistic, maybe Ive embraced the tank a little too strong but I fully expect the Sabres to be relly good in 2016/17 and scary good in 2017/18.

I can not wait to remind Cox of this artice sooner rather than later.

by the way 4 point nights for both Bailey and Reinhart last night.

This article is complete BS, it does not take into account the Sabres prospect pool, trades and FA.

It did NOT take the Chicago Blackhawks that many years to field a competitive team. Also, GMTM has stated it would not be that many years until the team is competitive.

If we're still tanking in 2016, I would declare the GMTM rebuild a failure.

This would mean the "TANK" isnt even close to half over. It also means that I think Cox didn't do enough research of what really is going on in Buffalo with its treasure chest of prospects / future draft picks, its willingness to spend money on vets (when the time is right). Maybe I'm way too optistmistic, maybe Ive embraced the tank a little too strong but I fully expect the Sabres to be relly good in 2016/17 and scary good in 2017/18.

I can not wait to remind Cox of this artice sooner rather than later.

by the way 4 point nights for both Bailey and Reinhart last night.

Even if we get McDavid and Grigorenko turns into Malkin, it'll still be at least 40 years before the Sabres are even in the discussion for a playoff spot again.

It did NOT take the Chicago Blackhawks that many years to field a competitive team. Also, GMTM has stated it would not be that many years until the team is competitive.

At that point it would just be a ###### team more than a tank.

After this year I really think we'll see significant improvement in the Sabres next season. With either McDavid or Eichel stepping in, some of the other youngsters ready to move up and a package deal trade for some scoring I could see significant improvement in 2015-16. There are a lot of if's but I wouldn't be surprised to see them be on the edge of the playoff hunt in 2015-2016 and in the playoffs in 2016-2017.

After this year I really think we'll see significant improvement in the Sabres next season. With either McDavid or Eichel stepping in, some of the other youngsters ready to move up and a package deal trade for some scoring I could see significant improvement in 2015-16. There are a lot of if's but I wouldn't be surprised to see them be on the edge of the playoff hunt in 2015-2016 and in the playoffs in 2016-2017.

I like this line of thinking. Lets do it !

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord, can you even imagine what this board will be like that day?

Actually it will be bad for weeks prior if the Sabres end up on a path where it looks like they will finish 3rd from the bottom or higher.

If it plays out that way, I will be inconsolable. :lol:

Edited by LabattBlue

If they finish 30th the board will be fine, 29th or lower Valium for all!!

I think the only way this happens is if another team decides to tank and doesn't care what it looks like. I think if it starts to look like the race to last will be close Murray will trade enough players so that Buffalo wins the title. I can see Stafford, Stewart and the best of the goalies gone. Along with several of the defense and a couple of more forwards traded. Murray knows the high draft pick is crucial to the rebuild and I think he'll do almost anything to make it happen.

I think the only way this happens is if another team decides to tank and doesn't care what it looks like. I think if it starts to look like the race to last will be close Murray will trade enough players so that Buffalo wins the title. I can see Stafford, Stewart and the best of the goalies gone. Along with several of the defense and a couple of more forwards traded. Murray knows the high draft pick is crucial to the rebuild and I think he'll do almost anything to make it happen.

I could see Stafford and or Stewart gone but on defense who are you going to trade? Meszaros, that would improve our defense.

I wonder what Tim Murray really thinks. I doubt we see more than 3 players traded from the roster this year unless some crazy blockbuster happens.

indeed the suffering has gone on long enough, if we draft mcdavid or eichel im expecting playof contention atleast next season.

I could see Stafford and or Stewart gone but on defense who are you going to trade? Meszaros, that would improve our defense.

I wonder what Tim Murray really thinks. I doubt we see more than 3 players traded from the roster this year unless some crazy blockbuster happens.

Whoever gets traded, it's going to be a part of a package. All trade proposals have to be a package deal. One thing we've learned, any rumor we hear about will be in package form.

You know the bozos(Howson, McTavish and Lowe) in Edmonton, along with their fans, understand the impact of McEichel. I fully expect them to do whatever it takes to finish dead last. TM must keep a close on on their tanking efforts, and must one-up them throughout the season.

Sometimes things just fall in your lap. I've been trying to find a non-cliché metaphor for Sabres hockey. Trainwreck, shipwreck, the Hindenberg, the Jumbotron? No. Hemorrhage shits? Maybe. The aborted fetus of a sickly wilderbeast? Getting closer. It has to be something putrid.

Then, a Black Friday miracle. It's garbage day. The truck usually comes by very early in the morning, but today apparently they gave the guys extra time to digest their meals, or go buy crap, or whatever. So they just swung by. I happened to be out. "Howz it goin'?" I asked in my best fake Blue Collar. "Oh, super," one of the sanitation engineers answered. "Just one stinkin' turkey carcass after another."

And there you go! Buffalo Sabres Hockey: Just one stinkin' turkey carcass after another.™

And Reinhart. After sweeping the home and home with Montreal and beating Tampa this tank is done for. Time of death was when Enroth made the second save in the shootout.

This may be ill-advised given the fact that we're Buffalo, but I'm already counting on him as a legit no.1 center in the league. The problem is, that still won't be enough. We need elite scoring and that means someone among Grigorenko, Armia, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, etc., is going to need to step up as a legit first liner if we're ever going to contend.

(Or maybe someone we draft in 2015 but that's looking like it could be a mid-first round pick, right around where we got Grigorenko or Armia. Oh boy.)