Jeanneret Diagnosed with Throat Cancer

That Aud Smell

Might as well be optimistic. When Rick full recovers, what does it mean for his contract? It's pretty tough right now to imagine that he'll do all scheduled games this season — or even any. Would they extend his contract one more year to make up for lost time?

Might as well be optimistic. When Rick full recovers, what does it mean for his contract? It's pretty tough right now to imagine that he'll do all scheduled games this season — or even any. Would they extend his contract one more year to make up for lost time?

who gives a ###### about his contract right now. He will call whatever number of games he wishes to for as long as he can get in front of his microphone.

Kick cancer's ass RJ!

Edited by korab rules

who gives a ###### about his contract right now. He will call whatever number of games he wishes to for as long as he can get in front of his microphone.

Kick cancer's ass RJ!

smh. Let's substitute the word "future" for "contract." (On the other hand, he won't "call whatever number of games he wishes to," unless that contract is revised. He's done the season after next.)

smh. Let's substitute the word "future" for "contract." (On the other hand, he won't "call whatever number of games he wishes to," unless that contract is revised. He's done the season after next.)

you really are a turd. This announcement turns you on doesn't it? Well have it.

WRT the PA and korab exchange: I hope and trust that RJ will beat the disease and make a full recovery. I then also imagine a future in which RJ continues to call an increasingly small number of games -- as few as 15 or 20. Perhaps he'd call one a week -- a la a HNIC appearance. And then when the playoffs roll around? Who knows.

Story says they found a golf ball sized tumor. Geez, why did you let that go so long? Did you not notice? As someone who earned a living with my voice I would obsess over anything not normal that I felt. Luckily it was never something like this.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Story says they found a golf ball sized tumor. Geez, why did you let that go so long? Did you not notice? As someone who earned a living with my voice I would obsess over anything not normal that I felt. Luckily it was never something like this.

Some cancers grow really fast. A golf ball today could have been a pea last week.

WGR keeps saying "85% chance." I guess that's the good news. If I just found out we had an 85% chance of winning next year's draft lottery, I'd be over the moon.

Get well soon, RJ. You are, and always will be, part of some of my favorite memories.

Saw this morning in my email. :( I hope his treatment goes well and he recovers fully. It's unfortunate it's inoperable because chemo will kick your ass.

Article from the BN (for anyone who didn't see it on the front page of SS):

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/rick-jeanneret-diagnosed-with-throat-cancer-plans-to-return-to-broadcast-sabres-games-this-season-20140702

Yea.. I was backing out of my driveway when I heard it on the radio. I shut the radio off.

He objects to being called the voice of the Sabres as he believes that is reserved for Ted Darling. But ######.. he's voice 1a then.

Get well RJ.. having you around to call even 1 game will make the season that much better.

Saw this morning in my email. :( I hope his treatment goes well and he recovers fully. It's unfortunate it's inoperable because chemo will kick your ass.

Article from the BN (for anyone who didn't see it on the front page of SS):

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/rick-jeanneret-diagnosed-with-throat-cancer-plans-to-return-to-broadcast-sabres-games-this-season-20140702

The good news is there is a great chance to knock this puppy back and give him many more years.

The bad news is, realistically, we probably have heard the last broadcast. That has nothing to do with fighting or will, just the logistics of it all.

Prayers.

RJ fueled my fire for this team over 14 years ago, hope he gets better :(

Yep - to me, RJ and the Sabres are forever linked. His play by play just added SO much to the games, especially compared to guys like Kevin Sylvester.

Not to be the Debbie downer here, but my family has been through this. Realistically, he will lose part of his throat if he chooses to fight it. For someone who uses his voice as his living, I think you have probably heard his last game called; we just didn't know it.

My Father went through this. It was beyond ugly. The radiation burned his throat so badly that he never recovered from it. And that was before they started removing parts of his throat. My father did not smoke.

Sorry RJ. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

RJ is as much a part of the teams history as Perrault, Hasek, LaFontaine, etc...

In the old days when we couldn't watch on TV he brought the game to life on my radio. I want the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup as much as anything, and I want RJ to be able to see it happen. He truly deserves his day with that trophy. Kick that cancers ass Rick, you have thousands and thousands of fans rooting for you.

Not to be the Debbie downer here, but my family has been through this. Realistically, he will lose part of his throat if he chooses to fight it. For someone who uses his voice as his living, I think you have probably heard his last game called; we just didn't know it.

My Father went through this. It was beyond ugly. The radiation burned his throat so badly that he never recovered from it. And that was before they started removing parts of his throat. My father did not smoke.

Sorry RJ. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

If anyone has seen/heard Bobby the Brain Heenan in recent years, they know what this could wind up leading to. There's another guys who built his career on his voice and now is a completely different person.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.