Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

It was obvious that Ehrhoff no longer wanted to be in Buffalo, but I'm surprised that he's being CBOed in lieu of a trade..

The Sabres weren't going to get anything in a trade that makes the $10MM cap hit at the end worth it. If they were going to, it would have happened yesterday.

I think Ehrhoff will end up getting more on the open market than he was making in Buffalo.

@JoeYerdonPHT: How bad does Darcy Regier look now for the summer of 2011? Leino and Ehrhoff both bought out.

Good point.

I don't necessarily think that's fair to Regier. He had operated one way for his whole career here and then was given the green light to do whatever he wanted, having no prior experience doing something like that. It would be like being given a ford focus and told to drive the speed limit for 12 years and follow all the rules, then being given a Ferrari and told ignore all the rules and go as fast as you want. Is it at all surprising that he ended up crashing the car?

@RealKyper

# Sabres Ehrhoff has the option to not go on #NHL waivers. Won't get his buyout agreement until he notifies club he is opting out of waivers

TM and TN most likely didn't want any negativity around the team with so many younger guys around. Makes sense from that perspective.

Sure, that's probably true. I'm not convinced he'd be negative. Not saying he'd be a cheerleader, but the lack of being positive doesn't necessarily mean he'd mope around and ruin the locker room.

The Sabres weren't going to get anything in a trade that makes the $10MM cap hit at the end worth it. If they were going to, it would have happened yesterday.

I personally like Glass' "phantom injury" idea to avoid recapture.

Right now I'm just cringing at some of the horrendous UFA contracts we're about to give out.

One nuance of this situation is whether you will post in the other thread. On the one hand, you want your thread to have more posts in it and be the one that "survives" the merger. On the other hand, you want to jump in on that conversation. There are a bunch of posts just crying out for a response!

What's it gonna be?

Of course he wants the threads merged. Past board practice says that his thread survives the merge - his trigger finger was quicker than the other guy's.

Of course he wants the threads merged. Past board practice says that his thread survives the merge - his trigger finger was quicker than the other guy's.

I don't really care who gets merged where with what and when haha. I just don't think "Ehrhoff BUYOUT" is a descriptive title by any means. That's all. There is more legitimate discussion in the other one, so it may make sense to merge into there and adopt a better title.

Check out Vogl's twitter. He should have some juicy stuff having spoke with Murray...

@BuffNewsVogl: The Sabres have started the process of buying out Christian Ehrhoff, Tim Murray says. Ehrhoff has option of going through waivers ...

Edited by Tankalicious

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 3m

Fortunately, I was in same plane as Tim Murray, so here we go ...

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 2m

The Sabres have started the process of buying out Christian Ehrhoff, Tim Murray says. Ehrhoff has option of going through waivers .

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 53s

Tim Murray believes the Ehrhoff camp will decline the waiver option, which would enable the Sabres to buy him out.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 47sView translation

Murray will not put Ehrhoff on waivers. So the ball is in Ehrhoff's court.

I was wrong and a half with a dollar in change on this one.

Vogl confirmed this after speaking with Murray.

Murray also said he expects Ehrhoff to skip waivers and said he will not put him on waivers. So it looks like Murray won't actually buy him out unless Ehrhoff skips waivers.

Murray Is taking this way too far. Like somebody mentioned, he's going to be in big trouble when everybody on the team who is 18-21 years old and in 5-6 years they're all going to be ready for their first big contract. This move just leaves one more position available to fill with another kid defenseman.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

@BuffNewsVogl: But frankly, Tim Murray says, Christian Ehrhoff's desire to not be part of the Sabres and defenseman's inability to improve team are huge.

@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray says he's made it clear that if someone doesn't want to be in Buffalo, he'll get them out. So bye, Christian Ehrhoff.

Sure, that's probably true. I'm not convinced he'd be negative. Not saying he'd be a cheerleader, but the lack of being positive doesn't necessarily mean he'd mope around and ruin the locker room.

Right now I'm just cringing at some of the horrendous UFA contracts we're about to give out.

I have a feeling Murray will say exactly what they were thinking with this move. :)

Not sure what the 'phantom injury' plan is, didn't see it upthread, nor in the 'real' Ehrhoff thread. ;)

Not sure what they'd be able to give Ehrhoff to guarantee he go along w/ that plan.

@BuffNewsVogl: But frankly, Tim Murray says, Christian Ehrhoff's desire to not be part of the Sabres and defenseman's inability to improve team are huge.

@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray says he's made it clear that if someone doesn't want to be in Buffalo, he'll get them out. So bye, Christian Ehrhoff.

Exactly as I surmised.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 3m

But frankly, Tim Murray says, Christian Ehrhoff's desire to not be part of the Sabres and defenseman's inability to improve team are huge.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 2m

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he's made it clear that if someone doesn't want to be in Buffalo, he'll get them out. So bye, Christian Ehrhoff.

And in related news, I've committed to stepping up to to help the team:

Campy Campbell@CampyVB 5m

@BuffNewsVogl Please tell Murray I can help - I'll take $8MM on a 1 yr deal to help the club reach the cap floor

Ehrhoff wants out. Can't say I blame him but good riddance.

I have no issues with the guy. He has a window of opportunity to win a Cup and he's going to take it. And it saves the Sabres from a potential impediment to success. Win-win, as long as Terry is willing to shell out the cash.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.